UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lost Dog Rehomed By Council

Fee

This is awful, the owners must be heartbroken. I can't believe the new owners won't return a dog they have had only a few days knowing there is a loving family wanting her back.

Family's Heartbreak

It seems very odd that this dog was originally bought from an 'animal sanctuary' for £1000, and that they had no record of who had adopted her :ohmy:

Nine applications from potential new owners?! It's a shame that these people don't come forward to offer homes to any of the poor staffies or oldies that find themselves in similar situations.

I find the £1000 adoption fee slightly unbelieveable, maybe the family just made a very generous donation?

It must be totally heartbreaking for them, it seems rather cruel that the new owners won't give her back, but I suppose we don't know the full picture. What an awful situation for all involved.

Quoted from the article: "The couple, from Monmouth, South Wales, found Scamp in an animal sanctuary and say that, as a pedigree dog, she is worth around £1,000."

Nowhere does it say that the sanctuary asked for this amount of money, nor that the couple have paid that for their dog.

I think it is absolutely disgusting that the new "owners" do not want to give Scamp back. A dog doesn't just settle in 2 days, unless she is one of those 'happy-go-lucky' dogs that would settle with anyone within a minute. Seeing as the kennels who rehomed say that "as an unusual dog" she had so many adoption enquiries straigh away, methinks that the new owners think that they've got a bargain, having adoped a pedigree dog ("worth £1000") at the price of a donation and therefore do not want to give her up. Call me cynical, but what other reason would you have to be so coldhearted as to refuse to give a dog back to a loving family? I just hope that through all the publicity the new owners get more hassle than they think Scamp is worth and give her back :angry:

It did say last night that the first owners had paid £1000 for the dog, I'm sure, like others I think that bit has been updated.

But why didn't the daughter contact the stray pounds etc etc .. and inform her mum the dog was missing .. if she had why didn't they do more to find the dog ?

Not everyone knows who to contact, daughter might not be very clued up on dog ownership I guess. Also sometimes even when a dog has been reported missing to the right people, they've been told the dog isn't at a stray kennels and yet when visiting, have found the dog there.

I guess it's an unfortunate lesson in making sure your dog is wearing the legally required ID tag with owner details (though I know sometimes dogs get out of the home/garden when they're not tagged) and that microchip details are up to date (though I know some rescues keep the details as their own rather than transferring to new owner).

Thank goodness at least that the dog is still alive and maybe there is the chance the new owners will rethink. After 7 days, had the dog been a less easy-to-rehome dog or ended up in another pound, the dog could have faced being pts!

I do hope the new owners reconsider. I know it's easy to get attached to a new dog very quickly, I certainly do, but surely they could at least agree to meet up with the old owners.

Update on Daily Mail comments

First of alll, a huge thank you to everyone for their support. I want you all to know the owners have agreed to give the dog back, and we are to collect it from the pound tomorrow at eleven. We are very grateful to the new owners for giving her back, as Scamp is a much loved family dog!

All being well, Scamp with be walking in the countryside on Saturday.

I will report back as soon as the dog is safe and sound.

Without all your comments, this would not have been possible! Many thanks to all concerned!

- Sian, Wallasey, 9/9/2009 22:32

how nice, i especially like the way she refers to the dog as "it" and the dog. everyone knows to call the police, council (incase the dog has been runover) and local vets, even my dad would kwno where to begin and he is totally clueless :laugh: i hope the people who had adopted her find another dog to share their lives

Edited by griff