UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Special Foster Home Needed For Lucky

Fee

Lucky arrived in Oldies Club care on Saturday. His previous owners had described him as a 12 year old collie X with some arthritis in his back legs, but otherwise in good health. His owners were themselves not in good health, and Lucky had been in kennels for several weeks as they were unable to cope.

Lucky's paperwork shows that he is in fact more like 16-17yrs. He is pitifully thin, just skin and bone, and so weak he had to be carried in from the car when he arrived. He appears to have a urine infection. He will be vet checked tomorrow, and hopefully we will get some idea of whether he has any serious underlying medical issues.

Lucky is an absolutely sweet natured little dog who seems not to have a bad bone in his body. He is enjoying the company of the other dogs in his foster home, and his previous owner tells us that he ignores cats. He will, however, need a foster home with someone around most of the time and able to give him some intensive care and tlc. His current foster carer is fabulous, but it's not the right placement for a dog with Lucky's current needs.

Is there anyone who can give Lucky a foster place - possibly a permanent foster place? It's a big ask as it we don't know yet whether we are looking at 'end of life care' or what his medical prognosis will be.

This is Lucky :wub: :wub:

Lucky6.jpg

Lucky1.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness, not really living up to his name is he. I can't help as I don't have the right sort of home with a manic lurcher and a bully when it comes to nervous dogs. But I do hope you find someone soon. Fingers crossed that Lucky just has a simple urine infection when he sees the vet

Hello!

Sorry dont post much but we had Mattie staffie here for foster and would be willing to take Lucky on as a foster dog for TLC and get him back to health if possible. If there is anyone thinking about fostering an old oldie I would just like to say that yes, it can be heart breaking but the rewards are endless! We still remember all of Matties 'firsts'!

The first time mattie came upstairs! the first time she went out for a short walk! well there are too many to list here! The joy and love on little Matties face when she realised that we would take care of her was something I will never forget! And Mattie now has a fab new home and new humans to do her bidding.So even the old oldies can bloom given the chance!

Edited by barkingmad

Hello!

Sorry dont post much but we had Mattie staffie here for foster and would be willing to take Lucky on as a foster dog for TLC and get him back to health if possible. If there is anyone thinking about fostering an old oldie I would just like to say that yes, it can be heart breaking but the rewards are endless! We still remember all of Matties 'firsts'!

The first time mattie came upstairs! the first time she went out for a short walk! well there are too many to list here! The joy and love on little Matties face when she realised that we would take care of her was something I will never forget! And Mattie now has a fab new home and new humans to do her bidding.So even the old oldies can bloom given the chance!

Strangely enough your name came up when we were thinking about possible fosters for Lucky, knowing what a fabulous job you did for Mattie :ninja:

We'll see how his vet visit goes, and either San or I will give you a call for a chat about him later today, if that's OK?

Poor Lucky mecry.gif

It sounds like you already have a great foster home offer, but I am happy to offer a back-up placement. I work from home 2 days a week now, and as Tess still has her anxieties, my Mum and I try to work out our shifts so that she isn't left for longer than 3 hours at a time.

I hope he gets settled soon, he looks like such a sweet frail old boy. wub.gif

Poor Lucky. :mecry:

I never cease to be amazed by how many owners simply don't realise the state their old dog is in, or simply don't admit it to us. Lucky's situation is a little different of course as he has been in kennels, but so many dogs come to us in extremely poor condition after we have been told that they are in good health with no medication, veterinary treatment or special care required. :(

:mecry: poor poor lad,how was he allowed to get into that state in kennels though?

A very good question. We obviously don't know the full facts yet about what state he was in when he went into kennels or what sort of vet care he had while he was there, but we will certainly be asking some questions :(

Sorry - edited to say thank you so much Laura. We'll think about all the options for him once we have some sort of longer term prognosis for him and can assess whether he's up to travelling etc.

Edited by Fee

I'm absolutely devastated to say that Lucky saw the vet today, and he was a very seriously ill dog. He was in end-stage kidney failure as well as having an enlarged spleen and enlarged prostate :mecry:

He was obviously suffering, and the vet felt he would have had a few days left at most. His foster carer has done the kindest thing, and Lucky went on his final journey in her arms this evening :mecry: :mecry:

We are so very sorry we couldn't make things right for you, Lucky. Sleep tight lovely boy :GroupHug:

I am devastated to hear this really awful news for poor Lucky. But, one does have to ask how can a kennels allow a dog who was obviously seriously ill to be left in this condition? This really is almost bordering on abuse to take money for care of this dog and then neglect it. I hope Oldies Club can do something about this kennels.

His foster carer deserves a whole bagful of gold stars for making his last few hours full of love - she must be feeling awful tonight and I send her Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif from all of us here.