UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Separation Anxiety

dawnie

Milo is a 6yr old staffi cross. Came from the pound at 12 weeks old. Is a very sensitive dog and has been attacked by other dogs, is also terrified of men.

Can be a real stress head but has been doing really well of late. About 3 yrs ago he used to stress out when i used to go to work but hasn't done this for a very very long time .............. until now.

For the last 2-3 weeks he's been stressing out badly whenever i go out - its always only been when i go to work but its all the time now. I've tried changing my routine in every way i can but its made no difference. As soon as i get dressed, lock the back door, turn the tv off etc etc he starts stressing, panting, pacing around and even trying to climb over me to get out the door as i'm trying to leave.

Well now its gone to a new extreme - destruction. About a week ago i came home to find he'd clawed the carpet up in the conservatory that runs parallel with the back door, luckily the carpet was old and frayed anyway but he also scratched the bottom wooden door frame, and as the carpet was frayed and the carpet gripper was bare he'd sliced his pads on his feet.

Today i've come home and he's ripped the draught excluder strip off the porch door (its screwed to the door) and there's black brush material all over the floor and the excluder strip was hanging off the door all bent, chewed & mangled.

I don't know what to do, he's never been like this before. I don't know what's triggered him off but i need to sort it out quickly as i'm in rented accommodation. Its also really upsetting me (i keep this to when i'm out of the house as he reads my emotions) as i hate seeing him like this.

Any advice?

Any sudden behaviour change should be first discussed with your vet to rule out medical reasons even something simple such as eye problems can cause insecurity and anxiety, if medical reasons have been ruled out then the following may help

have you tried leaving the tv on, or getting him used to a crate (but not if you are out all day) if thinking of a crate please dont get a cage type one and make sure hes happy whilst you are there building up to leave him (i have come across many dogs who have simply been put in a wire crate and left who have then injured themselves and the wire crates do not provide den liker security unless covered.

Leaving him and then coming straight back in building up slowly the time you are away may also get him back into a routine,

have you in the past prior to the escalation in behaviour chastised him either when leaving or on your return this can cause the behaviour to become worse

For instance dogs when stressed pace and drool can destroy items and the stressful situation can lead them to urinate and defecate (a bodies natural response to extreme stress) if an owner comes back to this and remonstrates with the dog it can escalate the behaviour further because then the dog gets stressed when left defacates and then stresses about the defecation so then tries to hide it (usually by eating it or doing it and covering it up with your clean washing pulled from the table or by doing it in or on your bed. you return and are more upset stressing the dog further and perpetuating the cycle.

Have you recently changed your routine ie longer working hours or changed jobs so cant get home at lunchtime when you did before, and is he left all day? if so can you get someone to call in and break up the time he is left alone, there is usually a trigger for any escalation in behaviour but its not always obvious so try to think back to when the behaviour got worse.

We once had a staffie in a foster home which started suddenly to react when left after spending hours going through things with the fosterer the trigger seemed to be the arrival of workmen in the street outside The fosterer was taking the kids to school at just around the time the workmen were starting work using heavy machinery, and the dog seemed to be associating the fosterers departure with the start of the scary noises, other things can be unusual noises next door ie kids off school for hols loud music doors slamming etc, or new shift patterns.

How does he react when you leave him in the evening to go to bed or does he go to bed with you maybe slowly increasing his time spent alone whilst you are in may help him to cope better when you are gone :flowers:

Mr Boogie Box opposite turned out to be the reason for TT playing up when left. Poor dog has always had a bad time with thunder and fireworks. In Birmingham there are many religions which means on any given day one of them will be having a festival and firework show, although I dont see the point during daylight.

Anyway a quick word with the DVLA about the lack of a certain round thing in the window and the offending item was away on the back of a lorry.

TT is now quit ehappy be left longer and longer. Mr BB collects his dubious substance by bike and is much healthier. So everyone happy ( i didnt tell him it was me)

Thanks guys - i may get chastised for this but they are left all day - always have been, we moved 2 months ago and they are now left for a shorter amount of time than before we moved - but I am speaking to someone this weekend about coming in during the day for me to break it up a bit. We've moved from an isolated house down a quiet farm track to a terraced cottage with dogs either side - i'm wondering if this is upsetting him as the dog one side of us howls constantly if left. He's fine when i'm here - yes they do sleep with me - but that is changing today - i feel so cruel but if that's what it takes - i'm ignoring any behaviour and not acknowledging anything he's done or is doing and at no time has he been chastised for bad behaviour. Like u say it could be a simple noise like the dustmen but its not knowing.

They have pretty much the run of downstairs except for the conservatory - purely because its like a greenhouse whereas the rest of downstairs is very cool. Today i've even gone out and left the stairs door open so that if he feels safer upstairs he can go there.

I'm reluctant to try a crate purely because he's never been in one, he's 30kg and i think if he was in a crate and the other two were free roaming that might upset him.

Someone mentioned valerian - what is this?

Valerian is a calming herb.

I would try Zylkene, a calming product made from milk enzymes. Dibs suggested this when Polly got upset after all the house moves and troubles we had last year, and we had a very good result from it.

Thanks K9Fran that's what worries me - a part of me just wants to hug him loads and reassure him but someone said i'm then telling him its ok to be stressed and worried. But apart from when i'm leaving the house he's fine very very relaxed and chilled out so its normal for us to have a cuddle etc.

I am very down at the mo with work/money worries but i can't do anything ot change that so i hope he's not reading my emotions in that respect.

If you moved two months ago but his behaviour has got worse in the last few weeks, I wonder if it's connected to the summer school holidays? Do you know if you have kids locally that might be playing outside that he can hear/are stressing him out?

If you can set up a video recorder to see if anything kicks him off it might help you work out what's bothering him?

I can understand you wanting to have the dogs sleep upstairs if you're out all day, I know I did when I was working full-time away from home.

Did you manage to find anyone to show you some TTouch?

There are a few flower remedies mixed up for separation anxiety. Bioforce and Tortue Rouge both do them:

http://www.bioforceshop.co.uk/ and http://www.drpetals.com/dr_petals_elixirs.php :flowers:

Dogs do pick up on their owners emotions and act accordingly - I know of one dog who suddenly started soiling in the house - vet check showed nothing. Further questioning found that the owners were preparing for a wedding. Once the wedding was over, the soiling stopped as quickly as it had started.

Maybe you need to look into something to help you with your anxieties at the moment too?

Thank u.

We're in a very quiet village and although the next door neighbour has 2 kids next door they don't play outside the front or back.

Not found anyone to show me t-touch yet.

I'm gonna try and borrow a video recorder as i don't have one.

try a radio on a talk station or classical type music,

it could be the house move itself thats unsettled him, not the fact that hes left

i asked about whether he slept in the room with you only to see if he had issues overnight if left.

Dont banish him downstairs if hes not used to it as this could upset him further and feel hes being punished for being scared, but do give him a little time whilst you are home in another room from you, just so he gets used to you coming and going and him being alone not being as scary as he thought.

most dogs with separation anxiety the anxiety starts in the bulid up to the owner leaving i agree if you can get hold of a video camera or even a web cam it may help you see what happens and when.

i also suggest zylkene :flowers:

AFter speaking to a confidante of mine Milo & I are now taking Kalms - apparently exactly the same as Zylkene but only £3 for 100 tablets. Today was the first day i was able to leave for work without him stressing but i think there may be a reason for that - he ripped his claw again yesterday (3rd time in 2 months) and is in discomfort so has only moved from the sofa since we got home from our walk - so not a result as such but perhaps this will get him out of the habit of stressing when i leave - although he appeared to forget about his painful foot when him and dolly were trying to catch a teeny mouse that was in my fireplace last nite!

Kalms are not the same as zylkene and i wouldnt have thought have been tested for use on dogs. i wouldnt risk using them please be careful

Zylkene is Alpha-S1 tryptic casein a peptide found in cows milk it is similar but thought to be more effective than valium when used in dogs

Kalms contain the following please see this link re Hops which are poisonous to dogs http://www.newscloud.com/read/Hops_Poisonous_To_Dogs

Valerian Powdered Extract

Passiflora Powdered Extract

Wild Lettuce Powdered Extract

Vervain Powder

Powdered Hop Strobile

Acacia,

Beeswax,

Black Iron Oxide (E172),

Calcium Carbonate,

Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate Anhydrous,

Croscarmellose Sodium,

Magnesium Stearate,