UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snow's Nog Needs Good Thoughts **UPDATED** it's NOT cancer!

Wendbert

Vet has just rung, Nog has had his operation and has come round from the anesthetic, as feared the tendons were a mess and they have had to be removed and the hock permanently stiffened which will leave Nog mechanically lame however the leg will not cause him any pain and he will still have a good quality of life ahead of him including being able to run again. He can't come home today, they have had to open both sides of the hock and have had problems with being able to close the wound due to the skin being so thin and the leg being very badly swollen and bruised, they also had to abrade some of the area around the hock so they cannot yet splint the leg. He's being kept sedated today and tonight and give large doses of anti inflamatories to reduce the swelling which should then mean the leg can be dressed and splinted and he can then come home, but again until tomorrow they won't know if he might need another day in the hospital.

We talked about whether to get him a raised bed to help him get up and down but have been advised against it, instead we will be looking at either a cot matress or foam with some vet bed over it but we'll see first how he gets on with his own bed which is nice and soft and squidgy.

Thankfully it won't be me doing the twice weekly resplinting that will be done by our own vets.

I'm now off to google stiffened hocks ...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been googling and found the right term for what he's had done it's Arthrodesis - she'd said it to me several times but you know how it is it went whoooooooooooooshhh over my head at the time. From all I have read which consists entirely of vetinary articles no anecdotal stuff at all - which surprised me - the long term prognosis is very good, and gentle exercise is highly advised almost from day 1 due to the bones loosing density or some such though we'll be guided by our specific vet & surgeon when we collect him. By the time we've finished tho my guess is we'll hit 5k for all this ohmy.gif as there will be more xrays and mri's needed at every step of the way. Almost all of the articles relate to racing greyhounds or working border collies - in a racer this is a career ending injury and almost all racers with this injury are destroyed which no doubt accounts for the lack of anecdotal reports of treatment and recovery mecry.gif mecry.gif

Nog won't be home today - legs still not stopped oozing and they want it dry before he comes home - apparently tho he's settled well all the staff have fallen in love with him, he's eating, drinking, wee'ing & poo'ing and begining to extend the leg and walk on tippy toes on it. We discussed visiting but decided that as he's so settled it might upset him if we went to see him for an hour and then left him there, visiting would be more for us than him so we won't risk upsetting him.

As a result we now have half a day of our holiday back so we're going to Cotswalds Wildlife park

Nog wont be home today mecry.gif the leg is still very swollen and oozing, they are getting concerned about it now (as am I) as it's not healing as well as they hoped, he's going to need daily dressing changes and resplinting for several days yet. They have tentatively offered for him to come home tomorrow provided we take him back there every day over the weekend and continue daily visits until they are happy the dressing can be left longer between changes. It's now looking like I'll need to take a further (unpaid) week off work to be with him and be able to keep the hospital appointments, but we wont know for sure until he's home and see how the wound responds over the next few days.

I'll be honest that I am now starting to grow concerned again - necrosis is a very real danger following this type of surgery as the blood supply to the leg was interupted Nog is apparently still doing well in himself and is settled and not stressed about being there which is all good news but they are starting to sound a lot more cautious about his healing than they were a few days ago. mecry.gif

I just want him home now mecry.gif