UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Holiday Destinations

Tisaann

I want to go somewhere hot in the 2nd & 3rd week of September. I have been looking at loads of different countries and did a holiday review on some of the places that I quite fancied but each and every one of them didn't have a good review. So I thought I would ask on here for some nice places. I was looking at Shalom en sheik (sp?) which I wanted to go to but again, bad reviews. Can anyone please tell me a place they have been that was really nice. I'm looking for, heat, nice food, nice beach, shops, a bit of night life and maybe a few interesting bits and bobs to look at along the way. Hubby and I just scrape in at the under 50 year old bracket so bopping the night away is not high on my list. However, It will be the 1st time in 25 years that we have holidayed just him and me.

Sharm el sheik is a bit like blackpool with sunshine. its a man made tourist place, hours from anywhere of interest and when you leve the hotel you get mobbed by egyptians who arnt deterred by the word no ( or get lost, F*ck off or any variations of it) Luxor is a nicer part of egypt, but again the hassle levels can be intense and its inland so no beach. the hotels do mostly have lovely pool areas to compensate. much more culture and things to see. Nice restaurants to eat in but the night life is quite reserved. Obviously its my second home so at least i can do a list of places to eat and drink :laugh:

I have never been, but one of my customers has just come back from Croatia and said it was the most wonderfull place she had ever been. My hairdresser went for a few days and he raved about it too.

There are some lovely islands off mainland Greece, and for value for money, non euro countries like Turkey are well worth a visit.

:flowers: Maspolomas is lovely.

One of my favourite places is Menorca. I was a rep there and loved it. It has a little bit of nightlife (ie the bars open late but you don't get the craziness Of Majorca or Ibiza), it has 130 odd beaches and its a tiny island with so much history. Its got two town Mahon th capital and Cituedella, the old capital.

Love it :flowers:

i too loved Croatia-cheap. nice people, fab food-really hard language!

have you thought about Italy? sardinia-is startlingly beautiful, very relaxed or down in the heel of Italy Puglia-well off the beaten track.

you cant go wrong with the states-i have loved it every trip.

we had a few cheapies recently to majorca & tenerife: i was very sceptical-but both times we had a fantastic time-just book carefully so you are out of the big family orientated bits.

im afraid i didnt like Egypt much-i can accept a bit of hassle-but being physically pulled about continuously got a tad wearing!

lastly-id take a look at Thailand-we had the most fantastic time there-it was one of the best trips we have ever done-amazing history, glorious food, lovely people-plenty to see & do...and of course great weather-and its not that expensive.

choices, choices-god i love travelling! whatever you choose-have a great time

Fee

Husband has now booked the holiday and thanks for your replies but he has booked Sharm el sheik. Before starting this thread getting him to book a holiday was like pulling teeth and now despite saying what Helly wrote he has decided that Sharm el sheik is the only place he will go. We have booked all inclusive at a cost of £1630.00. (not cheap is it?/or is it? . I did look at holiday reviews and was getting rather alarmed at all the negative reviews, not just for Sharm el sheik but for the whole of Egypt. Mmmm thought I, somethings not quite right here so I viewed a whole lot of other places/countries and it was negative for everywhere. So have now decided to ignore all the reviews as we have never looked at them before and holidays have turned out to be great so will not bother to look anymore.

However, I now have another question. Over the months I have squirreled away some spending money which amounts to £500.00 in CASH. So what do I convert this into, cash or travelers cheques or what?

i personally take cash and exchange it as i need it when im there but then I stay in luxor where there are banks and travel agents all over the place. You will no doubt be a taxi ride from the shops. The post office, with a bit of warning will order egyptian pounds in for you.

If you are a sensible traveller then just take travellers cheques.

A lot of write ups about egypt are negative. It all depends how you cope with the hassle when you leave the hotel and the fact that the average egyptian would sell his own mother for a few quid. I am a member of Luxor4U and I beleive the sister site is Redsea4u. its a forum where people who live there or visit lots offer help and advice. Go chat to them and get a better idea of where to see and the best prices you can pay for any trips etc

My son has been to Sharm several times..Naama beach I think? but mostly as he loves the diving there...he said its ok, hotels are good, just ignore the locals trying to sell you stuff! if you hadn't already decided I'd have said go to Rhodes..not Falaraki obviously, but Pefkos or Lindos. Great beaches, Rhodes town is beautiful and the Greeks are very friendly without being in your face. Maybe next time?

We went to Sharm a couple of years ago and I loved it. We stayed in a hotel about 10 minutes drive away from Sharm itself though, which was, as Helly says, a bit lively :laugh: We were a bit lazy and alternated between a day out somewhere and a day around the hotel complex. We did all the touristy things, flew to Luxor one day and Cairo another day, I loved them both. You do get hassled but I found the trick was to smile, say nowt and just keep moving.

Reviews are useful but what one person thinks is great, another will hate, as we all want different things from our holibobs. If someone complains they couldn't get English tea, beer and 'all you can eat' fried chicken meals etc I generally think it's a holiday I would probably like :laugh:

Have a lovely time :flowers:

Thanks for your replies everyone and Helly I have joined redsea4u thank you tho I do struggle to stay on it for long due to the red background colour.

I am now starting to get excited and if anyone wants to see where I have booked type into google Tropicana Grand Oasis and thats where I shall be come the 6th September.