UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Do You Dislike People?

cheryl33

Random Friday afternoon topic, but why do you dislike certain people?

When I was younger I used to get bullied and my mum told me its because they were jealous of me. But I always thought why do they hate, what have I done etc?

I have been thinking this today as I work in an offce of 8 girls and they are so bitchy and catty. I don't hate any of them, just dislike some of their qualities - bitching about people then being nice to their face, sneaking off to chat about someone, talking in hushed voices etc.

I'm sure they dislike me too (can;t imagine why :rolleyes: )as I have been the topic of slagging off recently but I am quite sure they are not jealous of me!

But is there anyone you dislike, and how to you deal with it, esp as you work with them?

There is someone at work I find it difficult to like. She is a drama queen, disruptive but has no insight, often ill which isn't her fault but the fact that her problems are bigger than anyone else's possibly could be is. She speaks in a breathy, quiet little girl voice when she wants something but if you challenge her, the voice and demeanour change quite rapidly. She has a 'sick' voice that gets better as a conversation goes on. She lies about stuff and doesn't work very hard. She makes comments to our boss about other people to curry favour and always, always expects someone else to sort problems out for her (despite being paid a manager's wage). On the other hand she can have a very gentle way about her, she has compassion for the unfortunate and can be a good laugh.

She invited me to her wedding a while ago, I asked if she was sure as we didn't really get on and she said she'd like me there, so I decided to start a fresh and since then have counted to ten when she's annoyed me or addressed the issue immediately, made a real effort to value her good bits and decided that I am probably equally as annoying (although I hope I'd realise if I was) :)

On the other hand another colleague is spiteful and has no regard for anything or anyone to any meaninful level. I decided she was dead wood and when she left - I haven't made any effort to stay in touch. Some people aren't worth knowing. I tolerated her whilst I had to work with her as I think, in general, at work, unless being civil to someone really compromises your own idea of what being honest and truthful is, you just grin and bear them and remember that they're just people you work with.

We've got Instant Message (kind of like MSN) at work, and besides using it to talking business to people in other departments on other floors, it is also being heavily used for gossing. My neighbour just loves to use it to IM me to slag a few other people in the team off, but at the same time she does her utmost to be 'in' with them - really two-faced. I usually don't reply, but last time after she texted me 'rant over' I couldn't help myself and replied 'thank god for that!' Not heard any slagging off since :rolleyes:

To me my colleagues are just that, and although I'm usually well up for a good natter and everyone who wants to hear knows all about my dogs by now, but there are certain things that I keep to myself; I've not given out my facebook ID for instance, despite several requests, and I've not shared anything about me that I would care about if it ended up on the cover of a national newspaper - not that it ever would, but you know what I mean :)

I've joined a well established team who have had to go through some reorganisation and change and a couple of the very long standing members of the team don't like the change (just because it's different) and blame it entirely on my 'big boss' rather than my very luffley immediate boss. As me coming in was part of the change, I was resented just because I was there, nothing to do with me. I've just smiled and been polite to everyone, got on with my job, got the teas in and like Billy don't give away too much but will bore the pants off anyone who'll listen to me yak on about my animals.

However, because I call a spade a spade, don't take no shite, despise faffing and lack of decision making (which was the existing culture) and have a knack for 'route one' problem solving my big boss, who is a dour yorkshireman - just like my Grandpa was, currently thinks the sun shines out of my a*se so there is currently a bit more grumbling. I don't care - I refuse to get drawn in to office politics, have several colleagues who I get on well with and really enjoy my work. If a couple of people want to live in the past, that's their problem, not mine.

I always wonder what have I done?

There is a lady on facebook that I chat to. we like the same shows. Ive offered to go with her so she gets my disabled dicaount, 22.50 instead of £60, she would love to but she cant afford to, few days later she puts up shes going to both shows, doesnt ask me.

Another lady ive given my ticket to a show as ill be in hospital. She says to me on facebook shall we go to a show, what times the last train etc, then oh no id better save my money as I cant really afford it, so I go from excited to ok, wont then. In the week she puts up she going to the show, got a free ticket. Does she ask me? no!

Im a nice, kind giving person, so why do people do this to me?

I say Im not helping any more, ill keep what ive got, so ive just given away 2 tickets to a show ive won. My friend asked if her friend who I know could have them. I know her so yes. She hasnt text me to thank me, but shes put on facebook shes so excited to be going. Not thank you Jazz ..

I give up

Jazz, I think you sound like a really nice, generous person and it's a shame that other people don't appreciate that :flowers:

I just look at what's happening in the world on the news, and look at the state of our estate and the local park, and I think that the majority of humanity on this planet is a waste of space. :rolleyes: Basically, I'm just a cantankerous old cow and proud of it! Just waiting for my hair to go all grey now, so I can be proper old ... :wink:

I am one of those people who normally sees the nice or good side to others and doent like to offend anyone

but those people i do dislike there is normally a good reason. I cant stand selfish people for example or those who go out of their way to harm or inconvienience others

life is too short to be a mardy get IMO

its rare for me to dislike someone. i tend to just put people in a 'cant be arsed with you' category and forget about them.

We couyld all learn from that :biggrin:

I must admit I do sometimes get bad vibes about people when I first meet them and usually even if it takes years I have been proven right :rolleyes:

I find people dislike me because I'm out spoken and say what I thing. If people need help, I will always offer, even the people I dislike I still offer help too. If people dislike me, so what, I have my family, my close friends and my dogs and they are the most important things in my life.

I dislke people if they tell lies. Some people tell that many I'm surprise they can remember the truth. As for others, I don't really dislike anyboby, even people that have done terrible things I forgive, apart from people that do things to my family than I can become a right b*st*rd and of course people like Hilter etc.

Edited by yena

I see the good side of people until I am proved wrong. I am often taken for a ride because I trust people and take them at their word but they can only sh*t on me once and I learn my lesson. I will still "be friendly" to people but I am not their friend. I am a very blunt and outspoken person so I can offend people without meaning to, but I am also a very loyal and giving friend. I dislike people who are vindictive,bullies,spiteful people and people who are obsessed with themselves. Altho,saying that,I dislike very few people!! x

honestly, I don't think I do dislike people. There are some folks that I disagree with on fairly fundamental issues, or that I simply don't gel with - I just don't spend time with them? I accept I have very different priorities to most folk, so I don't expect them to share my feelings and thoughts :closedeyes:

I thinks it's inevitable you'll get along with some better than others but really not worth the effort to spend time battling over trivia with anyone.

I think dogs tend to do unconditional love / loyalty, people generally don't generally do unconditional - perhaps why some like dogs more than some people?

Why Do You Dislike People

I could write reams on this, but for now, here is a top ten:

1) there are too many of them and they get in my way

2) they are always rushing about when I want to stop for a minute

3) they are FOOLS who fail to understand how important the things I consider important really are

4) They bother me with stuff that isn't important at all.

5) they send me work at 5.15pm on a Friday

6) Then they email at 10am on Monday to ask if it's done yet

7) They eat my cake and then make a 'well it was all right but' face. If they didn't REALLY want my cake, why did they eat it? I could have eaten that cake!

8) I detest and loathe people who commission work and fail to pay on time, thus forcing me to chase after their invoices. I hate chasing invoices! I hate not getting paid!

9) They ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

10) They fail to appreciate me as the Special Snowflake that I know I really am!

Edited by cycas