UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sweetners - A Warning (xylitol)

Brammie

Im sure alot of you know the dangers of Xylitol but for those that dont i thought it worth a mention after our "adventure" with Baz today.

While i was out this morning Basil ate a whole pack of sugar free chewing gum, for anyone that doesnt know the main sweetner in it is xylitol which can kill a dog. I knew it was bad and quite dangerous but i had no idea just how bad it was until today.

I called my own vet first and even he didnt realise how bad it could be, he called me back after some research and we were sent straight to the emergency vets. He and Dex (the other walking dustbin) both had to be forced to vomit to check who had eaten what - ofcourse Baz had eaten the entire pack himself.

Apparently 2 bits of gum can put a 10kg dog into severe hypoglycemic shock for 4 days and Baz (17kg) had eaten 14 pieces.

He spent the whole day in the vets having his blood sugar level carefully monitered. Quite amazingly his sugar levels stayed stable (abit low though) all day and he didnt go into shock. The vets think it was our quick action, his already full tummy and him swallowing them and not chewing so not helping the xylitol get into his system so quickly.

Hes still not out of the woods and they can go into shock with low doses up to 12 hours after ingestion and he has to have a blood test to check his liver functions on Monday.

Ive since done some research and learnt that some dogs can go into shock within minutes of eating it, and the scary thing found that because it is better for human teeth than most it is being put in more and more food items including toothpaste and the like. And i remember last year seeing it in dog treats!!! Although i havnt seen that brand since.

We are very very lucky but it could have gone the other way quite easily.

6ce0e3a1d21a6bf4759d37fe9486be32.jpg

The silly boy himself :wub:

Wow, he was very lucky, thank goodness for that. I knew about the risks, but sometimes no matter how careful you try to be things happen don't they.

So glad he is ok, will keep him in my thoughts and hope he makes a full and quick recovery :GroupHug:

Am appalled that you saw the stuff in dog treats though :ohmy:

Thanks for highlighting this. I was aware of the dangers as I have had serious side effects of sweetners and have done quite a lot of googling of various ones. Hadnt found specifics for dogs but had heard about possibility of severity. Glad that Basil pulled through and hope there are no after effects. :hug:

Edited by safneo

Really glad your boy's doing okay. I've banged on about xylitol la lot in the past on another board as so many people don't realise how many products it is in.

I still don't understand why it is in dog products such as Aquadent (the stuff you put in water bowls to clean their teeth :rolleyes: ). The company that makes it says the dosage is fine, but what if you have a sensitive dog, or you put too much in by accident? Shouldn't be there at all.