UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Could A Blind Pup (from Birth)

Katiebob

my ex foster Pooch was blind, I had her for 9 months and she coped fine

she wasnt born blind, just went blind when she was older (she was 9

when I fostered her)

I just made sure I knew where she was at all times, as i have a couple of steps

down from my kitchen to my garden, and a couple in the garden too

admittedly i did worry quite a bit, but she was more than worth the extra little effort.

I think it bothered me more than her :rolleyes:

My Yorkie Tess went completely blind in old age. She coped just fine. It's just being aware of things that could be obstacles, leaving furniture in the same place. Once pup works out where things are it should be fine. Other dogs in our household realised and my youngest acted as her guide at times. It's a case of thinking ahead incase things are potentially dangerous in the home and when out on walks. Tess was able to walk offlead outside too.

My yorkie went blind in one eye at the age of 5 thro' an accident then got cataracts in the good eye at 7. She had laser surgery and completely regained the sight, losing it again at about 11. She was completely blind for the last 3 years of her life and coped very well as part of a pack but I didn't make any changes to the household so she was very familiar. The only thing she stopped doing was jumping onto the windowsill in the bay window! She even managed to go out and get in the car as she always did.

I fostered a really ancient poodle who was blind and partially deaf and he only took a few days to establish where doors were etc; negotiating furniture took a bit longer but he lived happily and safely for 2 more years. In both cases the dogs were part of a well established pack and this made learning much easier.

In my experience blind/partially sighted dogs cope very well and as Jacobean says, its about thinking ahead

I've not had a pup which has been blind from birth, but my Bumpy Max is completely blind now. He has probably never had great sight as he has CEA (from birth) and PRA which developed later.

You'd be amazed how resilient blind dogs are. The only problems I've found are that he occasionally wanders off across the other side of the fields so I have to keep an eye on him; he bumps into things when we're out and about so open fields are best as he likes to run and chase the other dogs; and he will get told off by the other dogs occasionally because he steps on them or shoves his face where he shouldn't because he can't see :flowers:

This is a short video clip to show how well my Bumpy Max copes, as you can see it hasn't affected his vocal chords :rolleyes: :laugh:

th_SDC10307.jpg

Tillee, had to have her eyes removed due to illness. She really was a wonderful dog, got her bronze and silver KC award. I believe all you have to do is give them the confidence to do everything and they will. Obviously you have to make certain allowances for their blindness, but, most of the time, she was allowed to do what dogs do. Follow your heart and if you do decided to give this little puppy a home, you will be well rewarded :wink:

This video show her getting into the car. Sadly both Tillee and Matthew both passed away in April, but they both still bring a smile to my face.

th_pictures13109002.jpg

th_pictures13109001.jpg

Edited by yena

I know of someone who took on a pup which had been born blind and deaf. The dog is now around 3 yrs old and fine. I know my deaf dogs (born deaf) use their eyes to tell them what is happening and as they know no difference the fact there is no sound does not affect them. I would imagine a blind dog relies on hearing and smell more than one which can see, so the only real problem (bearing in mind it does not know it is missing something it never had) would be obstacles, so if you move furniture around make sure the dog is introduced to the new siting rather than finding out by bumping into it.

Thank you all so much for the good advice. It's wonderful to see how adaptable so many dogs are at coping with disabilities.

A very lovely rescue (who will have the puppy at their home with other puppies) has offered to take this puppy and work with it - and as I have just so many dogs here I think that is probably the best option for this puppy. Great news all round and thank you all for your advice, once again :flowers: :flowers:

This video show her getting into the car. Sadly both Tillee and Matthew both passed away in April, but they both still bring a smile to my face.

th_pictures13109002.jpg

th_pictures13109001.jpg

You must miss them both so much, Yena. :GroupHug:

A very lovely rescue (who will have the puppy at their home with other puppies) has offered to take this puppy and work with it - and as I have just so many dogs here I think that is probably the best option for this puppy. Great news all round and thank you all for your advice, once again :flowers: :flowers:

That sounds like an excellent solution. :flowers: Hope the puppy has a long and happy life. :wub:

Yes I believe it could. Routine where the furniture is concerned, not leaving the hoover out for them to bump into etc. My little Bird is blind and where shes so small, is more vulnerable, so I am very protective of her. Like Ian said I make sure I know where she is most of the time, I believe if she was yoiunger and a different breed she would be much more bouncy. Go for it :biggrin: