UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Benefit Help

Melp

Can't get an appointment with CAB so thought I' see if any fugees know.

I will be working 8 hours per week for £7.50 per hour.

Mortgage is £880 per month

Total outgoings inc mortgage [elec, gas, council tax etc] total £1600 per month, this does not include food, uniforms and other essentials like toiletries, cleaning stuff.

I know I'll be entitled to claim a reduction on council tax but what else?

Trev cannot afford to pay both our mortgage and a rent/bills on another property but he can put towards it.

Question is, will I be able to claim anything towards the mortgage since its a joint ownerd property? even something towards my half?

Long term I can't afford to stay here but if we try to sell now we'll almost certainly have negative equity, probably about 30k :mecry:

I've got no idea where to start :wacko:

I think if I try to claim income support they'll just deduct whatever Trev gives me so it might not be worth even trying for that.

Can anyone help please?

Mel - try the directgov website DirectGov Link There is lots of useful advice on there :)

They have an online Benefits Adviser where you put in what money you have coming in, etc and it tells you exactly what you can claim :flowers:

I hope that helps :flowers:

And I've never yet managed to get an appointment with the CAB about anything :rolleyes:

Edited by dirtychicken

If you can up your hours to 16 melps, you can claim family credit regardless of how much an hour you earn, you can also claim child care costs if the kids are with a registered child minder or after school type club. You need to let the council know if your the only adult in the house to get a 25% discount and you can get single parent benefit.

DSS are pretty good at telling people the best benefits for them if you contact a help line - good luck :GroupHug:

As the last poster said, If you can up your hours to 16, it would make things alot easier for you. You could then claim working tax credits and CTC, plus any maitenance you are paid will go directly to you and you keep every penny. If on income support, you will receive £20 IIRC and the CSA keep the rest. or if you have a private arrangement, they will deduct anything more than £20, pound for pound off income support.

You "may" be entitled to help with the cost of the interest on your mortgage, but only after 13 weeks.

You can get free school meals for the children.

Im afraid i havent been around for a while, so not up to date with everything that been going on. I hope your ok Mel :GroupHug:

You need to ring this number to make a new claim and they will tell you which is the best benefit for you and your situation, 0800 055 6688 they then they make an appointment for you at your local Job Centre plus with a adviser once your files have been passed on to the correct department they have 10 working days to inform you of the result, If its income support you can claim free school meals, dental care, voucher towards glasses and prescriptions, :flowers:

You may be able to get a single parent premium on your child benefit(unsure if they still do it though but its worth a phone call- 0845 302 1444

Ring the child tax credit people as they too maybe able to give some child tax credit allowance- 0845 300 3900

Any maintence over £20 is taken off Income Support but you get to keep the 1st £20.