UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Please Think Twice Before Posting Pics Of Your Kids On The Web

wendywoo1972

I havent been posting for a long time.... All for personal reasons a lot of saddnes in my life that has left me taking a break from forums in general.

I do however keep a photoblog of Lydia and post her pictures up.

This morning however something happened that has made me re think this and also concerned me enough to phone the police and report what I viewed on the web.

I am so disturbed by what I saw I just want to ask any of you to really think about the pictures you post of your children and where you post them.

someone left a comment on one of my blog entries asking to see pictures of lydia without her nappy on. Also leaving an email address for me to send them to.

As you can imagine I felt sick to my stomach and immediatly asked Johan to come and see. He took the persons username and did a google search. One of the hits that I got back is another totally different blogging site. With pictures of children in very innocent situations. On the beach on holiday those sort of pics . All girls all different ages.

The words and comments that were written underneath I can not bring myself to re type. I burst into tears each time I think about it. It is pure filth unimaginable

That is just one site I didnt look any furthur.....

Please all of you really really think about where you are posting your pictures and how secure they are from the sick filth that is out there in the world.

I am not posting what sites these pictures were found or any names becasue I am so hoping that the police WILL take this seriously enough to investigate what I reported to them this morning.

But if I can get just one person to re think posting their childrens pictures anyway that is not secure then its something.

I am sorry if I have upset anyone by posting this but It needs to be said becasue I would hate for anyone to read the things that I saw this morning.

Or to have some stranger looking at their child and thinking the thoughts that some pixie thought about my daughter today

Wendy - tighten up the security settings on your blog - make it so that only those you know can view the photos and only with your approval. Without that, sadly, anyone can take photos by right clicking on the pic and "stealing" it away. Do it right away. I hope that this experience, disgusting as it is, turns into a positive capture from the police of a filthy person who should be locked away. :flowers:

Oh dear :sad02:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I do post pics of my children on the net too.

Please think about stopping. The site I refer to had pictures of children that are innocent holiday snaps and such. Parents like you are I have posted them I imagine for friends to see... Someone has taken them posted them on another site and the comments are sick sick sick sick sick

and people putting emails up saying send me more like this of children looking like this... I will never ever forget what I saw this morning and will do what ever I can to get the message out there to anyone who will listen.

Just to add, as well as what Dee said about security of photo's on your blog, change the settings so that comments have to be approved before being shown. I've had p*rn sites and gambling sites leave comments on Wiggle's blog which I've rejected but wouldn't have been able to stop if the comments weren't on moderation. Even if comments appear harmless, its another way of spamming :flowers:

Wendy - tighten up the security settings on your blog - make it so that only those you know can view the photos and only with your approval. Without that, sadly, anyone can take photos by right clicking on the pic and "stealing" it away. Do it right away. I hope that this experience, disgusting as it is, turns into a positive capture from the police of a filthy person who should be locked away. :flowers:

good advice, if you use Blogger I am pretty sure that there are settings that allow you to make the blog private and I am sure most other blogging sites have a similar opinion

Wendy I cannot imagine how you feel , what a dreadful experience and thank you so much for telling us as I will rethink my attitude to some of my online photos habits as a result

Sam x

I am so sorry to hear this, it must have been a terrible shock for you. I very much hope that the police will track this person down: it sounds like he is a real risk and should at least be being monitored.

However, I would gently like to point out that the photos were innocent. Lydia has not been harmed. There are awful people out there, but seeing anonymous pictures of children doesn't let them harm them. None of the filth should touch the children in the pictures.

There are people out there that fantasize about animals, adult women, men - probably even the pics in the manky body parts thread : these fantasies can all be pretty grim as well, but personally, my view is that it's the person who is doing the fantasizing that has the problem, not the person who decides to show the world a photo of a beautiful child. Even if you hide all the photos, someone with that kind of problem will do the same thing with pictures from magazines or even images they draw themselves.

There is a difference between photos that are taken with love but are later misused, and the awful photos that are taken by abusers in abusive situations, and it's the latter that should be removed from the web, because they are the people who are doing something bad. Your pictures were taken with love and displayed because you are proud of your daughter and nobody can take that away.

I agree that limiting comments is generally a good move on any blog or gallery, but in this case, I very much hope that the fact that you didn't do this will help the police identify someone who really should have their internet access limited, and maybe even prevent a horrible crime.

Oh Wendy, that's made me feel really sick, goodness knows how you must be feeling :sad02: :GroupHug:

I think Victoria (Cycas) makes very good points - Lydia has not been harmed and hopefully, as the police do seem to work extremely hard to track these people down, that maybe the fact your photos were public will help them find the person/people responsible and maybe even prevent a child from actually being harmed.

It's horrible to think what some people will gain from innocent family photos. I know I've posted a few photos of my little nephew online/on a blog in the past with me, Minnie-Moo etc.

God there are some truely vile people in this world.

I am so sorry to hear this, it must have been a terrible shock for you. I very much hope that the police will track this person down: it sounds like he is a real risk and should at least be being monitored.

However, I would gently like to point out that the photos were innocent. Lydia has not been harmed. There are awful people out there, but seeing anonymous pictures of children doesn't let them harm them. None of the filth should touch the children in the pictures.

There are people out there that fantasize about animals, adult women, men - probably even the pics in the manky body parts thread : these fantasies can all be pretty grim as well, but personally, my view is that it's the person who is doing the fantasizing that has the problem, not the person who decides to show the world a photo of a beautiful child. Even if you hide all the photos, someone with that kind of problem will do the same thing with pictures from magazines or even images they draw themselves.

There is a difference between photos that are taken with love but are later misused, and the awful photos that are taken by abusers in abusive situations, and it's the latter that should be removed from the web, because they are the people who are doing something bad. Your pictures were taken with love and displayed because you are proud of your daughter and nobody can take that away.

I agree that limiting comments is generally a good move on any blog or gallery, but in this case, I very much hope that the fact that you didn't do this will help the police identify someone who really should have their internet access limited, and maybe even prevent a horrible crime.

I absoloutly agree with what you are saying. Lydias site was upsetting enough but it was the search on the person who posted that led me to another site filled with pictures of children in very innocent situations... I am not sure if someone has taken these pictures without other peoples knowledge certainly in most pictures the people did not seem to be aware of a photograph being taken. The comments on there were pure filth and people being asked to see more or sent more images of children like this.... My concern is someone has taken these pictures without someones consent and those images are being passed around and fantasized about by this sick people but what if the information of where these children can be found is being passed on.... Something needs to happen to remove that site off of the web or at least investigate where these images have come from investigate the person begging for more or that stated what they intend to do

I have now locked my blog and contacted the owner of the site and I have learned a big big lesson about my internet usage but you had to see the site and see the comments to understand my feelings over this.

Im not just being a hysterical mother

Im not just being a hysterical mother

No one thinks that Wendy :GroupHug:

Something needs to happen to remove that site off of the web or at least investigate where these images have come from investigate the person begging for more or that stated what they intend to do

I don't think anyone would disagree with you there. I just hope because of the information you've been able to hand over to the police, they will be able to act and do something about the site owners/members.

It is extremely worrying just how many people seem to be involved in these things when you read about the police efforts in the media. Just sickening.

Wendy, I am speechless. How dare they think awful thoughts about your beautiful daughter. :( You are NOT a hysterical mother, but you ARE a loving mum.

Hope that the police can deal with this horrible bit of sick lowlife as speedily and harshly as possible.

Big :GroupHug: :GroupHug: to you and Johan.