UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Some Ideas From Those With Children

Peachy

If you wanted to buy a handmade item for a child, what would you be looking for? What are the items you can't find on the high street? What things do you buy that you wish weren't mass produced and a bit more personal?

I've extended the range of things I make (using fabrics - I wish I had a talent for making wooden things too but I don't :( ) to include things for little people but so far it's limited to aprons, baking sets and mini bags. I wanted to have a few more things available but I can't find inspiration from the internet. Everything is so plastic for kids now!

I'm thinking about possibly putting together some little gardening sets, with a hardwearing apron, some little hand tools, a pack of sunflower seeds or vegetable seeds. Or maybe a painting set. But would they be the sort of thing that people would buy?

Help! What sort of thing should I be making next? :unsure:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sound of the gardening set, I think something like that would make a lovely present for a little one. You could do something similar with a baking set. When my daughter was little someone made her a pretty apron, and gave her a teddy wearing a tiny version of it, she loved that.

She also had a wall hanging with lots of different-sized storage pockets where all her treasures and soft toys were stored which looked good and was very practical.

Harriet (now 23) has a lovely box that she had when she was tiny (but it could be adapted to a wall hanging fabric thingy with pockets) it has 6 compartments:

Dreams

Wishes

Memories

Promises

Secrets

Hopes

She still adds to it now it is stuffed full & we have often had a giggle when she has cleaned it out to find things like Wishes: I wish I could marry Adam (age 14) Secrets: Becky stole air hostess Barbie from the wendy house in school but I promised not to tell :laugh:

I wrote a little letter for every box which she still has - in her promises box I wrote ' I promise never to look in your secrets box!'

My grandson is 2 1/2 and LOVES dressing up clothes. He especially likes hats or any items he can get on and off by himself so tunics or tabard type clothes would be good. He also likes back packs. I've spoken to other grandparents and their 2-3 year old grandchildren love dressing up too.

I like the painting apron idea too.

Harriet (now 23) has a lovely box that she had when she was tiny (but it could be adapted to a wall hanging fabric thingy with pockets) it has 6 compartments:

Dreams

Wishes

Memories

Promises

Secrets

Hopes

She still adds to it now it is stuffed full & we have often had a giggle when she has cleaned it out to find things like Wishes: I wish I could marry Adam (age 14) Secrets: Becky stole air hostess Barbie from the wendy house in school but I promised not to tell :laugh:

I wrote a little letter for every box which she still has - in her promises box I wrote ' I promise never to look in your secrets box!'

That's a fab idea. I'd buy 4 :laugh:

Dreams

Wishes

Memories

Promises

Secrets

Hopes

I would defo buy these for my neices.

Perlease do some Kelly :wink:

Dreams

Wishes

Memories

Promises

Secrets

Hopes

I want one for me :jumpy:

Oh wow! There's some food for thought, thanks chaps :flowers:

I've got a picture in my mind for how the wall-hanging-secrety-pockety-thing could work but will scavenge the internet to see if there's anything similar. I'd like one for my wall too :laugh:

I love the idea of the gardening set/baking set as we often give gifts to the children's friends (especially when they were younger) which will involve their parents doing something with them so that everybody gets some fun out of it :)

I absolutely adore the idea of the dreams/wishes thing too. Sophie would love one :wub: and I have some older friends that would really like them too :flowers: