UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

It's Gonna Be A Portuguese Waterdog!

BillyMalc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7911543.stm

Obama girls 'to have a water dog'

US First Lady Michelle Obama wants to find a rescued Portuguese water dog as a pet for her daughters, People magazine has reported.

Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, were promised a puppy by their father, Barack Obama, when he was elected president, as a reward for all they had coped with.

The choice of dog was limited by Malia's allergies to certain breeds, but water dogs are hypoallergenic,

Mrs Obama told the magazine the family were hoping to get the puppy in April.

She said water dogs were temperamentally "pretty good".

"From the size perspective, they're sort of middle of the road - it's not small, but it's not a huge dog. And the folks that we know who own them have raved about them."

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Obama Family and the Obama administration

Sen Ted Kennedy

One of those people is veteran Senator Ted Kennedy, who owns two of the breed - Splash and Sunny.

Splash even featured as narrator in Mr Kennedy's children's guide to US politics - My Senator and Me: A Dog's-Eye View of Washington, DC.

In January, Mr Kennedy said he was "proud to endorse the Portuguese water dog as the next First Dog of the United States".

"They have a can-do and hopeful spirit. They are smart. They are resilient. They are determined. They are optimistic. And they are tireless," he said.

"Sounds like a perfect fit for the Obama Family and the Obama administration."

Frank or Moose

Mr Kennedy said he was proud to endorse the water dog breed

But Mrs Obama said the family had still not agreed on a name for the future pet.

"There are names floating around and they're bad," she said.

"Frank was one of them. Frank! Moose was another one," she said, adding that she had told her daughters to "work with the names a little bit".

Mrs Obama also used the interview to talk about family life in the White House, saying her daughters still had to do chores and that staff had been asked not to help them too much.

"People want to make your life easy, and when you have small kids - I've explained this to the staff - they don't need their lives to be easy. They're kids," she said.

But Mrs Obama said the girls had a free run of the White House, as long as they told her where they were going.

"I've tried to encourage them to feel like this whole place is their home," she said.

From the little bit that they've been quoted, it sounds as if they've done their research - and I'm so chuffed that they're still being quoted as wanting a rescue!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

One of those people is veteran Senator Ted Kennedy, who owns two of the breed - Splash and Sunny. Splash even featured as narrator in Mr Kennedy's children's guide to US politics - My Senator and Me: A Dog's-Eye View of Washington, DC.{/quote]Whether it's wise to go for a breed that already has a reputation for publishing [a href=http://www.amazon.com/My-Senator-Me-Dogs-Washington/dp/B00126QC9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1235631254&sr=8-1]'kiss and tell' memoirs[/a] is another matter, of course. :grin:
Edited by ceemage

Let's try this again...

One of those people is veteran Senator Ted Kennedy, who owns two of the breed - Splash and Sunny. Splash even featured as narrator in Mr Kennedy's children's guide to US politics - My Senator and Me: A Dog's-Eye View of Washington, DC.

Whether it's wise to go for a breed that already has a reputation for publishing 'kiss and tell' memoirs is another matter, of course. :grin:

I like the fact they want a rescue dog, but fixating on a particular breed

is not such a good idea, how long will it take for that breed to become

the latest 'must have' fashion item only to be dumped and put into pounds/rescue

when the next biog thing comes along

are the obama's prepared to take all of them in once that has happened

much prefer them to take in a 'mutt/heinz 57' through rescue than any

one breed, that would send a better message out to people

I like the fact they want a rescue dog, but fixating on a particular breed

is not such a good idea, how long will it take for that breed to become

the latest 'must have' fashion item only to be dumped and put into pounds/rescue

when the next biog thing comes along

are the obama's prepared to take all of them in once that has happened

much prefer them to take in a 'mutt/heinz 57' through rescue than any

one breed, that would send a better message out to people

agree with what you're saying, but if we ever get another dog it would have to be a hypoallergenic one cos of OH's allergies. :( Besides I think they cos a fair few quid anyway so I cant see peopel rushing out to buy them over here xx

Hmm

She wants a rescue puppy in April. Do they come up on demand?

Maybe what they mean is that April would be the right time for them to have a pup, due to commitments beforehand that would make it a less good time? :unsure: Seeing as they can hardly go out and see several dogs in rescues, like your ordinary family, rescues would now have an idea of a time frame should they have a Portuguese waterdog, which they think would be suitable and which would be up for rehoming by the time the Obamas can have a dog?

It would be lovely if they could consider a crossbreed or a bullbreed or something else which is in huge "supply" in rescue, but they have a child with an allergy to consider - and yet still seem determined to try to find a dog in rescue, to which I say good for them :)

Hopefully the fact the new president and family are looking at rescue will make at least some people realise rescue dogs don't have two heads and who knows which Heinz 57s and bullbreeds may find themselves in a great new home because of that.

God how many times do we have to hear the recurring myth of the "hypoallergenic" dog - there's no such bloomin' thing. I do think it's great they want a rescue, of course rescue vs. breeder and the breed is up to them really and they've noone to answer to as long as they're happy and the dog is. Just wish we didn't have to hear this "hypoallergenic" rubbish, how many dogs have ended up in rescue because they were sold as allergy safe.....

Edited by KathyM

Hmm

She wants a rescue puppy in April. Do they come up on demand?

That made me wonder too. Maybe things are different in the US, and I've no doubt rescues will be falling over themselves to help, but it still seems optimistic.

God how many times do we have to hear the recurring myth of the "hypoallergenic" dog - there's no such bloomin' thing. I do think it's great they want a rescue, of course rescue vs. breeder and the breed is up to them really and they've noone to answer to as long as they're happy and the dog is. Just wish we didn't have to hear this "hypoallergenic" rubbish, how many dogs have ended up in rescue because they were sold as allergy safe.....

Quite. I always understood that no one breed of dog was "safe" for every allergy sufferer. :unsure:

A Portuguese Waterdog rescue puppy ... they happen, I do know one, but the most likely age for a PWD to turn up in rescue is adolescence or later. They are wonderful dogs but can be strong willed and feisty, and they need plenty to do. Not sure they are the best choice for a first dog. Glad the family are getting a rescue, but wish they had left their options more open.

I just think it is wonderful that, despite having loads of money and a daughter with an allergy, they have not ran to a breeder right away, but have kept going on how they want a rescue dog. How many "celebrities" do you know who have done that? Okay, that might be a whole thread in itself, and I can name a few, but let's face it, they are a minority.

And I can only guess that they have arrived at the choice of a portuguese waterdog after having done research and asking for advice. If that is the advice that they have been given, what more do you want? Obama has said that he'd prefer a mutt from a shelter, but if said mutt would trigger his daughter's allergies and has to be sent back, for the next mutt to arrive, with possible similar consequences, then what do they gain? That must be heartbreaking for a 7 and a 10 year old! I'm sure they'll have staff who know about dogs and who will help them with training and what have ya, but no staff, however knowledgeable, would be able to stop allergic reactions. :flowers:

OK, but they may simply not get one because there are few in rescue and very few pups. It might have been better to include other non-shedding breeds in their search.

The allergy question depends on whether the allergy is to the hair or the skin flakes. Some people are OK with non-shedders, other have an allergic reaction to all.

The first time I typed that I wrote "non-shredding". Subconscious typo - I'd love to have one of those :rolleyes:

I agree that it is great they are promoting rescue dogs, even though they may have a hard job to find exactly what they want.