UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Menopausal Question

vonny

I know that there are a few medical type people here and I was wondering if you can help please.

Is it right that if you go one year without having a period that they are finished forever.

Also if you are going to have hot flushes etc.you have them before the year is up or are they yet to come?

Thankyou

I know that there are a few medical type people here and I was wondering if you can help please.

Is it right that if you go one year without having a period that they are finished forever.

Also if you are going to have hot flushes etc.you have them before the year is up or are they yet to come?

Thankyou

Hi there

It is normally recognised in medical circles that if you have not had a period for 12 months you are post-menopausal - no more periods - yippee!

Women can continue to get menopausal symptoms eg hot flushes, night sweats for a few years after the end of periods, although if you haven't had any hot flushes to date, they are unlikely to start now.

As a medical type peep (how do I say this delicately) you still need to be 'careful' for 2 years after periods have ended.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hi there

It is normally recognised in medical circles that if you have not had a period for 12 months you are post-menopausal - no more periods - yippee!

Women can continue to get menopausal symptoms eg hot flushes, night sweats for a few years after the end of periods, although if you haven't had any hot flushes to date, they are unlikely to start now.

As a medical type peep (how do I say this delicately) you still need to be 'careful' for 2 years after periods have ended.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

It does help :)

only 5 days to go then :unsure:

It is all right in the (delicate) dept. as he has been sorted out years ago :sleep:

I had a hysterectomy after my cervical cancer at 32 and went almost straight into the menopause and it lasted about 15 years !! I had the sweats, mood swings etc for all that time altho with the ME as well it was hard to tell what was what. It is all over now yyyaaaayyyyy but i grow a lovely beard and moustache ! :mecry: It is a wonderful feeling when it is all over. They do say that you follow your mother in the length of your menopause and my mothers lasted around 14/15 years too.x

I agree about the beard and tash :mecry:

Tweezers are my friend :rolleyes:

I have been very different to my mother as she started properly at 40 and was finished by 45.

I started being irregular at 45 and am now 53.So far I have avoided sweats etc. so am hopeful that it will not happen now.

Seeing as we're talking menopauses. I've had a hysterectomy and been shoved on HRT for 10 years. When I stop taking that am I going to have to go through the flushes? Am I right in thinking I'm just delaying the inevitable although I realise as I'm 43 I'm protecting my bones at the moment. I know if I wasn't taking HRT I would be having terrible flushes as I did in between the op and taking HRT so I'm hoping in 10 years or so there will be something magic you can take to help those.

Seeing as we're talking menopauses. I've had a hysterectomy and been shoved on HRT for 10 years. When I stop taking that am I going to have to go through the flushes? Am I right in thinking I'm just delaying the inevitable although I realise as I'm 43 I'm protecting my bones at the moment. I know if I wasn't taking HRT I would be having terrible flushes as I did in between the op and taking HRT so I'm hoping in 10 years or so there will be something magic you can take to help those.

Sorry Michelle, I'm afraid you are right and you are just delaying the inevitable. But at least you can taper off the HRT gradually, so that you can decide how much you can stand.

I don't know whether I am lucky or not. Periods stopped at 58, but I've only had night sweats, hardly any daytime flushes. And I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 47 (via a bone scan because of family history) - I just take the pills every week.

I'm another one that had a hysterectomy because of cancer ( I was 33 ), in my case they left half an ovary so I would go through the menopause at the correct age. I've been having hot flushes for a few years now. Can anyone tell me why the hell I just have the flushes in warm weather and not during the winter when they would be handy :laugh: .

Terri

:unsure: I sailed through the menopause,no sweats,nothing at all.The only difference was the absence of periods,took me ages to even realise that had happened.No HRT needed.

Me too, at one point I thought I was pregnant without any symptoms since I didn't have my period :laugh: I'm 50 this year :ohmy: and this happened about 5 years ago.

Sooooo any ideas as to what happens if you have the Marina coil fitted. I'm 47 so it's on the horizon. I had mine fitted 12 years ago and haven't had a period since ( the odd bit of spotting on high days and holidays but thats it). It should have come out after 5 years but 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'