UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wales Baby Death - Dogs

KathyM

You've also got the problem where if one dog does something the other will join in.

I've seen this happen too. Thankfully it was dog on dog not a child [and there were no injuries] but I was stunned to see my usually placid dog Cisco join in when another greyhound attacked a spaniel.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is making the assumption that the dogs were left alone with the baby. This may be true, or it may not.

Can everyone honestly say that they'd know what to do if one of their dogs attacked a child, or another animal for that matter? You think you know but peoples reactions can become confused in scary situations.

My son was almost attacked by a dog when he was a year old. The dog was mine and it was in the family home. Sam wasn't alone with the dog, in fact he was in my arms, as supervised as its possible to be, yet still the dog went for him and it was only by me holding Sam above my head that stopped him being injured. Did I know what to do? no. I reacted by hoisting my son out of reach but that did nothing to stop the dog trying.

Can us parents and grandparents honestly say they've never ever left their dogs alone with the children, ever? do we all take the dogs or kids with us when we go to the loo, or make a cuppa, answer the door etc?

Even if we do, does that make our children 100% safe? it didn't make my son safe.

I noticed people were assuming the baby was left alone, but I did read on one link that the baby was actually left in a Moses basket on the floor and it was "unclear" whether the gran was in the room.

Completely agree with this post. My son was attacked by a dog in our home and suffered facial injuries when he was pinned to the floor and shaken. I was in the room, it was like slow motion, I couldn't stop it. :mecry:

The reports in todays papers say that the grandmother had looked after the baby several times before...I wonder what was different this time? :( Poor poor baby, and his poor parents. The report also says that he had survived a heart operation...it seems so cruel to lose him after all he'd been through already. Being a new nana myself, I know I could never forgive myself if something happened to my little grandson whilst in my care, she must be going through absolute hell.

It is just awful.One thing a lot of people posting haven't picked up on was that the attack happened around midnight so not sure if Grandmother was sleeping too,apparently he had more than 20 bites to his poor little body.We'll never know what happened and my heart goes out to his family.

Not that it makes it any better but 20 bites or 20 wounds? One bite could cause multiple wounds. 20 separate nips could cause lots of wounds, none of which may be serious while one single bite in the wrong place could cause death.

The way the media speak is as if this was a prolonged and vicious attack when in all probability it was very quick.

Still absolutely tragic for all concerned though :(