UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ollie Again.........

Tempest

Following on from Ollie's other threads he's been on the Previcox for about 10 days now and I'd literally had a chat with the vet about him this afternoon. He's only got 1 day of Previcox left and the vet wanted us to leave him off it for 5 days and see how he goes as she doesn't want him on it long term :unsure:

Anyways I've noticed for the last few days that his poops have been really 'shiny' and no sooner had I got off the phone to the vet but I let him out in the garden and he's done a huuuuuuuuge lot of diarrohea :( So phoned the vet back and she said not to give him tomorrow's tablet and see how he goes without it.

Am hoping he's going to do okay without it but the fact that he's had the runs on the Previcox doesn't bode well for him staying on it long term if he does struggle without it.

I'm going to take him back to the vets once he's done his 5 days without it and see how he is as I'm concerned about him staring in to space, swaying from side to side and crossing his legs and randomly falling over :( Having said that this morning he was chasing Jess round the garden in the snow and going like a loony (which i think may be due to the pain relieving effects of the Previcox).

Just wondering if anyone else had tried any other meds that might be useful for him but weren't Rimadyl, Metacam or Previcox :( I think he's major problem is that he's just 'weak' on his legs and I'm not sure what the answer to that is really?

Jules, the only other medication I have used is the PLT that Barty has occasionally. But this also isn't a long term drug because it obviously contains steroids. Barty can cope with just a tiny dose when his disc goes out and we don't need it for more than 3/4 days tops - then we get him in for acupuncture and normally all is well. He had a bad spell over Christmas and needed nearly 10 days of the stuff which of course resulted in him drinking more and starting to steal food because of the steroid but it does work for him simply because he only needs 1 tablet for 3/4 days which is the equivalent of 3/4 mg of steroid, which is an extremely low dose.

Have you tried acupuncture on Ollie? Sorry starting to forget the plot as to what you have already done - must be my age !!

Still huge hugs for the boy

Lily took PLTs for several years and they worked very well for her. The steroid part is pretty small. However after a massive digestive bleed while taking the PLTs she is now unable to take metacam, rimadyl and PLT. She tried previcox last year and wasn't able to tolerate it.

She has been taking codeine for the last two years, which seems to have no adverse affect on her digestive system at all. There is an argument to say that codeine is addictive but at that point Lily was in too much pain to carry on without medication. Codeine does appartently make some dogs behave in a silly way though, so it won't suit all.

Hope you find something suitable to help Ollie.

Have you tried acupuncture on Ollie? Sorry starting to forget the plot as to what you have already done - must be my age !!

Still huge hugs for the boy

We've not tried accupunture as basically the lovely M&S (who we are insured with) will stop paying for Ollie's hydrotherapy if we claim for accupunture - they've pulled hydro from all their policies now and the only way I managed to get them to continue paying for it is on the proviso that Olls needs no other drugs or alternative treatment for the arthritis.

I'm really angry with them as financially I can't pick up the tab for accupuncture (which is why I have insurance, or so I thought!) and I feel that the hydro will be of more benefit if I have to chose one treatment as it will actually improve muscle tone/strength etc whereas the accupuncture won't :unsure:

Also what's a PLT?

We've not tried accupunture as basically the lovely M&S (who we are insured with) will stop paying for Ollie's hydrotherapy if we claim for accupunture - they've pulled hydro from all their policies now and the only way I managed to get them to continue paying for it is on the proviso that Olls needs no other drugs or alternative treatment for the arthritis.

I'm really angry with them as financially I can't pick up the tab for accupuncture (which is why I have insurance, or so I thought!) and I feel that the hydro will be of more benefit if I have to chose one treatment as it will actually improve muscle tone/strength etc whereas the accupuncture won't :unsure:

Also what's a PLT?

Blooming heck, sorry I wish I hadn't mentioned it. The only thing that acupuncture has over hydro, is that it will kill the pain. Yes hydro would improve muscle tone and strength but then so would lead walking up and down hills and a few obedience sit to downs and back again, which is what I do with Barty when I am being really good with his exercise.

I am really glad I went back to Pet Plan, I know it was more expensive but they have willingly paid out for Barty's treatment and it must have totalled thousands by now. Allopathic medicine, MRI scans, surgery, acupuncture and they would have covered hydro as well if he would have swum.

PLT is prednoleucotropin, PLT is a mixture of two drugs. Cinchophen, a fairly mild NSAID, and prednisolone, a steroid. It has been around for donkey's years and is often overlooked now in preference for pure NSAID's but as I say, it works a treat for Barty.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Kyla was on Previcox after her cruciate op and I give her it occasionally if her leg is sore. Benji was on Metacam and I did take him for acupuncture which I think helped. Hydro wasnt an option for him due to his age and heart murmur.

Sorry that was no help to you whatsoever :rolleyes: