UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The New Dog-powered Scooter

Ruby1Nic

Wouldn't get very far with Daisy in harness :rolleyes: Not sure actually,maybe Husky type breeds would enjoy this? Nope just noticed the video and don't like it.Looks to have been going pretty fast and the dog has no opportunity to stop if it wants to? Same reason I hate seeing dogs on leads with people jogging,cycling.No opportunity for the dog to check out it's environment.

That's what I thought. I didn't like the way the dog looked like s/he was having to really run in the video. And as you say no opportunity to stop/slow of their choice? The scooter had breaks which the woman was using, but is the speed of the scooter determined by the human or the dog?

It's not for us that's for sure :wink:

Seems much like mushing skijoring cani cross or similar to me. I was thinking of getting a scooter to use with some of mine, don't see how it is that different to having you dog run with a bike really. I very much doubt that most people would use it everyday with their dogs, same as I don't go running everyday with mine. If we go running they don't get the opportunity to sniff either since they are attached to me on lead, and it's exactly the same when I take them out on the springer attachment on my bike.

I'm not sure on the side attachment, but having not see one in the flesh (I've only seen the gangline type of attachments on various scooter) it's hard to say really.

I can't say that going to the same park on the same route with the same smells would be particularly beneficial for dogs either. Like most things, the key is moderation surely?

I don't like it either. I think the difference between this and for instance a dog pulling a sled is that if the dog is pulling something it can stop if it needs to. With this contraption, the speed isn't necessarily being dictated by the dog, so if you are going downhill then the scooter is pulling the dog.

agree and also the dog is pulling from the sidw so has uneven weight displacement as opposed to being in front as with a sled or pulling cart where the whole of the dogs body evenly pulls the weight

and god forbid but i also foresee a millon children wanting these and their parents seeing them as a get out of walking the dog and let the kids do it instead idea

recipe for disaster methinks

Although the arm is to the side there are two attachments either side of the dog so the dog won't be pulling to the side. The side arm is metal and stiff so the momentum arm as far as the dog is concerned is not at an angle.

The scooter has brakes so going downhill shouldn't be a problem and of course the human could always get off and walk down the hill!

And having just watched the video the rider isn't pushing the scooter along except to get it going so the dog can't be running to catch up, it is running at the speed it has set itself. Seems better than a bike in that respect as the person riding isn't propelling the scooter at all really, however they can when needed like going up hill.

I'm sure it's not for everyone and I'm sure some dogs wouldn't like it and that it wouldn't be appropriate for others. Mine however enjoy going out for a run or cycle with me, and I'm sure they would enjoy scootering too.

Edited by khanu

Although I really can't see either of my current dogs putting up with this, I don't think that you could use it with a really unwilling dog? Mollydog would just do her famous impression of a Dog Made of Rock until you took it off...

I suspect that one of my childhood dogs, Patch, would have quite enjoyed it. He was always up for anything that involved Doing Stuff with People. Obviously it's not a substitute for a sniffin' moochin' type of walk, but it might be a fun addition to it. I think we'd have scootered fairly briefly along the road up to the fields, then done the mooching and sniffing up there.

I think certain dogs would enjoy it but others wouldn't. The speed is definately dictated by the dog and there doesn't seem any cruelty involved,just steering in the right direction which you would do if it was in a dog disability buggy and they are not considered cruel.It is the same sort of set up really. I think Kizzy would love it and we would be doing 100mph for ages,on the other hand,if Ebbi was in control I think a snail would overtake us!. :laugh: x

Although the arm is to the side there are two attachments either side of the dog so the dog won't be pulling to the side. The side arm is metal and stiff so the momentum arm as far as the dog is concerned is not at an angle.

sorry i meant the scooter and weight of with human is on one side so even though the dog is pulling from two attachments the weight of the whole thing is still biased to one side. i have seen dogs injure ligaments at weight pull competitions simply due to the cart being unevenly loaded so i think it could cause probs

and its also about if people used it responsibly and i dont think they will