UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Indys Agility Blog

DanishPastry

when i started, all the contact equiptment was on the floor for the first 12-14 weeks and we didnt go near the seesaw or weaves in that time. it was quite boring but it made such a difference for the dogs. it was raised to half height and then when they were happy with that it went to full height but the whole thing took a long time and i think that is the best way. the place i took my terrier too did everything full height straight away and i think its really off putting for the dogs

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we didnt go near the seesaw or weaves in that time.

seesaw we have only tried 2 times, it wasn't included in this course either as our dogs are not experienced enough yet. As for the weaves, the way we train it is not so hard for the dogs, and my trainer wanted us to start on it quite early as she says it is the one thing that takes the longest to perfect, and it is really frustrating having a dog that does everything perfect, but haven't learned weaves properly! So I think the theory is to take it slow, but starting early. Seems to work, we'll see when more poles are added!!

Thank you for the nice words Jo, I quite like the way we have done it too :flowers:

as you can see, they are put up in 3 pairs of two, instead of the whole long row all at once. We start out by having the dog on our right hand side, and the dog learns with a short word command, initially taught by leading them and letting them follow your hand, to move slightly away from you and around the pole and come back to you. Indy is now at word command alone and needs no animation from me, so she will soon be ready for something a little bit harder, filling out one gap with a pole :) . Does it make any sense at all?

• 1 month later...

I am back from agility :biggrin: Indy was so good, especially considering she has had over a month off.

There is a little competition somewhere in the end of september, a DGI one (Danish Gymnastic Union) so it is "for fun" atmosphere and apparently non-competitive, and my trainer asked if I'd be interested in going! :ohmy: I'm a bit flattered, a bit scared and a bit excited! I hope someone else is going, as I'll need to catch a ride, but the girl with the cavvie was interested :biggrin: (they are doing quite well!)

Excellent class tonight! there were only 4 in our class, and we had the other instructor, who is much more strict than our usual one. Strict with us that it, not the dogs :happy:

We set up a course with lots of jumps, a dog walk, a tunnel and some weaves. She kept thinking up new variations and ways around it, training our control of turns especially. Indy did so well, and was knackered by the end of it. So was I, my brain feels fried now.

I have to say I am well and truly hooked, I love it! The thing I think I love the most, is seing my dog "wake up" and really work for me, something we never *quite* managed in obedience :laugh:

She was really good on the dogwalk today, not in such a hurry to cross it. We use the big one now, so it's a long way down if she misjudges! But she is quite confident going over it.

There is a mum there who watches her 10 year old daughter training their cavalier, so I got her to take a couple of pics.

We have only ever tried the seesaw once, so we took it easy or that one.

Enzo waiting for his turn

agility04-09-06008.jpg

the seesaw (isnb't it called that?)

agility04-09-06003.jpg

agility04-09-06002.jpg

and crossing the A frame

agility04-09-06013.jpg

Indy waiting

agility04-09-06011.jpg

getting ready

agility04-09-06006.jpg

babysteps, but she was quite brave and also did it without me holding her

agility04-09-06004.jpg

agility04-09-06005.jpg

the weaves, which are really coming on good now! when they are set out 2 poles - distance- 2 poles- distance- 2 poles, today I only needed to give the command for going into the first one, from then she offered to do the rest herself! :biggrin: We have also started doing a few without the extra distance betwen, and that takessome more concentration, bless her

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/aki...04-09-06010.jpg

and the A frame

agility04-09-06012.jpg

She said she was willing to take more pictures next time too :)