UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Indys Agility Blog

DanishPastry

It now looks as though my transport problem is sorted, the buses to where I get off and catch a ride from Enzos mum is perfect timing as well! :biggrin:

I am leaving in 15 minutes for our second ever training session, I'm very excited :circle:

I will ad to this everytime we've been to a class, and I hope you will read it and give comments of encouragement and good advise :flowers:

Anne :medieval:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we did the same things as first time; jumps without height and the tunnel. Indy was good, but ran off a couple of times because she had sniffed and memorized treats that people had dropped on the ground :rolleyes: she came back instantly when she had munched the treat :laugh: (she only ran off AFTER having completed what she was doing though). I'm such a numpty with my body language though, I bet all you "real" agility people would roll your eyes til they fell out if you saw me :laugh:

All in all a good night.

Going in the car with Enzo worked really well, we just chucked them in together in the back of the car, and there were no problems at all :)

Don't worry Anne, it takes a while to get a feel for where your dog likes you to be and how to guide them with body language. It sounds like you are doing really well, especially after only 2 lessons.

Re. the body language, I spend time every day on 'flat work' with Jay, working on our communication without and obstacles, just out on walks. I get him moving away from me straight on, to the left and to the right, with my voice and then just with my body language. I also practice sending him away and then recalling him straight to me (useful for pull-throughs (which you will meet later) and other close-up work), and also start-line work (waits and recalls). I find that the more we do away from agility, the better he is back at agility.

Hope that helps somehow!

Nic xx

yes, thank you very much! I have been kind of doing a little of that myself, not quite so advanced though, mostly trying to teach her left and right. I can also make her shift over to my right side and walk her there, wich has proved handy when we do right handling. If she had never tried it, it would have confused her greatly :laugh:

Indy seems a bit tired, so I'm giving her a couple of days off from doing much training of any kind as she is the kind of dog who will shut down and completely ignore me when she is not in the right mood. I don't wanna over do it, and going from not doing much training at all and just go for walks with Akita for a couple of years, to do 1-to-1 with me nearly every day, I am careful not to overload her with inputs.

yep Lindsay :biggrin: training is fun!

Indy ended up with a whole week off, as instead of going for walks, I went up to my landly everyday and took Bernard out with my dogs for a play around the fields (she was looking after him for the week, for her daughter).

it did her loads of good, and she was excellent tonight! Really focused and concentrated when it was our turn, eventhough there was a lot going on around her. There are more dogs in our class now, and we got split up into 2 groups of 5 dogs + the more advanced classes are in the same field at the same time also, right next to us. Indy did everything brilliantly today, I was very proud.

We are still only doing jumps and tunnel. Today we did jump -tunnel, and also slightly curved tunnel, and later we did 3 jumps in a row. Her mate Enzo was really naughty today and kept running off, thinking he was mister Clever :cool: his mum was less impressed but did really well at keeping cool :laugh:

Indy never hesitated going into the tunnel even though it was curved so she couldn't look through it, she is such a star :wub:

lesson 4:

wooohoo daylight savings means it is now nice and light all through the training session.

Indy was a star today! We learned one new thing, the thingy that they go into and then they have to go out through a piece of cloth on the other end, we call it "the bag", I don't know the english term?

All dogs in our class went through it in first go, and we all got lots of praise and our instructor thought our dogs were so brave :biggrin:

So we did 1 jump - bag Then 2 jumps - bag, and Indy was just perfect! Ofcourse we make mistakes sometimes, but it is very clearly ME and my body language that is to blame, it is so hard to remember everything :laugh: Jumps are still just on the ground, but that doesn't matter really.

I am just so proud of my girl, she is so clever :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

we are doing quite well! We now do jumps on a non-straight line, have started to slowly pratice the ermmm what do you call it, when they sort of weave in and out of the poles? and today we tried the dog-walk, they have a very low "baby" one, great for training til they get confident. Indy was good, and stopped and the yellow bit for her treat like a good girl :wub:

Bummer that next monday is a holiday, and training is off, cos Martin will be here, and was supposed to be taking pictures of us! :rolleyes: I'm sure we'll get another chance though. :)

I am so pleased I found this class, we have great fun out there, everybody are so nice, both people and dogs. All our dogs are doing really well, today Enzo didn't get a single thing wrong, it made me so happy, because he can be a real hooligan and test his mum a lot.

It sounds like you are both having a fab time, pity Martin won't be able to get pictures this time, I'm sure you'll get some soon. Keep going with the diary cos it is really good to read how well you are getting on. The bag as you call it is just called the soft tunnel where we train, and the poles are just called weaves or weave poles.

Good luck with the training.

Katherine