UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Sleeping Pattern's Being Disturbed - Any Advice?

Mrs B

I am struggling at the moment and wonder if anyone here has any suggestions/advice.

Up until a few weeks ago, I was always the early bird out of bed, with OH not getting up for work until I’d left for the office, and we both had weekends off. Now, OH works weekends, and is out of the house before me on his working days during the week.

My problem is that I have completely lost my sleeping pattern as a result. On Monday, Friday every other Thursday, OH is up at 4.30 am, and leaves home at 5.15 am. On Saturday and Sunday OH is up at 5.30 am and leaves home at 6.15 am. On Tuesday, Wednesday and every other Thursday I’ve no idea when he gets up – but certainly not while I’m around!

I used to get up around 5.30 am to 6.00 am in the week – and at the weekends sleep until I woke up – or the dogs decided I should wake up – but I was normally up and around by 8.00 am.

My problems are that, once OH is up, my sleep has been disturbed, and I don’t go back to sleep properly, or if I do it’s a definite doze, and, I’m being disturbed at different times on different days. Result, I’m waking up at 4.30 am on OH’s day’s off and weekends, then perhaps the next day I wake at 5.00 am, then I’m back to being disturbed at 4.30 am again.

I suppose I really need to go to bed earlier – but I’m in such a routine of doing jobs around the place, that going to bed at 9.30 pm to 10.00 pm seems strange – and I end up feeling that I will have no “me timeâ€, as I’ve often not finished the chores till around then Not to mention I do go out at least one night a week when I don’t get home till 11-ish.

Total result of all the different sleep times is that I’m ending up going to bed at my ‘normal’ time, getting up earlier, feeling increasingly tired, and running into serious danger of nodding off at my desk in the middle of the afternoon if I foolishly save any routine paperwork until then! Not to mention that IF I sit down earlier in the evening, I find myself nodding off (and then get in trouble with OH!)

OH has totally sorted himself out – he just comes home in the afternoon and goes to sleep, sleeps till around 10.00 am on his day’s off, and consequently just carries on going to bed at ‘normal’ time. And I seem to be able to crash around in the mornings anyway without disturbing him in the slightest.

And the dogs don’t know whether they’re coming or going – they’ve been used to five days a week, getting some good sleep for an hour or two morning and afternoon – now they’ve got us around five days a week, and they are definitely beginning to flag! But I’ll leave them to their own devices.

Sorry for the long post – but if anyone has any experience, suggestions or advice, I would very much appreciate it.

Oh, and I guess I would just add that, in general I’m not someone who has trouble sleeping at night.

Do you have any time in the day when you could take a nap? After 6 years of getting up at 7am I would still kill for a lie in or change of pattern but its never going to happen. Even on holiday, my body just gets me up around the same time.

I gave up trying to do set times for sleep because it feels too regimented and now, if i feel tired when i finish work around 6pm I will have an hour on the couch. I very much let my body tell me when its tired and needs an additional hour or so. A great way to get a short nap and not feel rough is to settle down, drink and energy drink and then sleep. by the time you wake up in an hour, the energy drink is busy giving you the necessary kick up the backside to keep you going till bedtime

Is it the alarm clock disturbing you or the OH getting dressed etc?

Both I guess - but actually it would be an unusual night if I didn't wake up if OH got out of bed, for any reason.

Do you have any time in the day when you could take a nap? After 6 years of getting up at 7am I would still kill for a lie in or change of pattern but its never going to happen. Even on holiday, my body just gets me up around the same time.

I gave up trying to do set times for sleep because it feels too regimented and now, if i feel tired when i finish work around 6pm I will have an hour on the couch. I very much let my body tell me when its tired and needs an additional hour or so. A great way to get a short nap and not feel rough is to settle down, drink and energy drink and then sleep. by the time you wake up in an hour, the energy drink is busy giving you the necessary kick up the backside to keep you going till bedtime

Maybe I'm my own worst enemy on this one - I do tend to come home, tidy up, give the dogs some time, make drinks, dinner, wash up, sort washing, blah, blah, blah - and tend to say to myself "you will NOT sit down until everything you intend to do is done."

Maybe I'm my own worst enemy on this one - I do tend to come home, tidy up, give the dogs some time, make drinks, dinner, wash up, sort washing, blah, blah, blah - and tend to say to myself "you will NOT sit down until everything you intend to do is done."

then the secret is to come home, make a brew, feed the dogs and settle on the couch for an hour. set your mobile for an hour so you dont over do it and soon enough you should find its enough sleep to add to your changing patterns to top up on what you need.

Also, what makes my friends howl laughing when i admit to this... if you wake up, dont open your eyes. keep them firmly shut while telling yourself its not time yet. I have been known to get up at 3am to go to the loo and kept my eyes shut while repeating to myself its not time, getting straight back into bed and getting straight off to sleep. I started this because i am a very light sleeper and was all over the place. it honestly works :laugh:

My OH does a really weird shift pattern which is 'earlies' 'evenings' and nights' all in a 7 day period. His alarm goes off at 6, but I don't have to get up untill 7.30, so I don't talk to him at all, just thump him to make sure he's awake, then roll over and go back to sleep (not opening my eyes or talking to him at all, nothing).

I would suggest getting one of those eye cover thingies to prevent any light disturbing you and get some ear plugs- i'm sure your oh is old enough to make sure he gets out of bed on time so i would concentrate on blocking out the things that disturb you- and stick to your normal routine.

Also you could get your oh to put all his clothes ect that he needs for the morning outside of the bedroom so he just has to get up and leave the room as quietly as possible to minimise the disturbance

failing that i would go with the seperate rooms idea if you have one :GroupHug:

if you wake up, dont open your eyes. keep them firmly shut while telling yourself its not time yet. I have been known to get up at 3am to go to the loo and kept my eyes shut while repeating to myself its not time, getting straight back into bed and getting straight off to sleep. it honestly works :laugh:

OMG i do this, :laugh: i have on occasion tripped over the dog asleep on the landing though