UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Radio 2 Vine - Woman Sleeping In Car With 5 Dogs

K9Fran

Did anyone else hear this woman? She has ME and was made homeless by her landlord. She now sleeps in an estate car on Dartmoor with her 5 dogs........ The council won't offer her any more accomodation because she has turned down all properties offered to her because of medical grounds - she can't take her dogs up and down stairs to toilet in a 1st floor flat..

Yes I was listening. And when she'd moved her car into town hoping that it would be a bit less cold her car was attacked by vandals :ohno02:

I slept in a car once up in Scotland and it was bloody freezing, it's the most uncomfortable night I have ever spent and that was in September! Cannot even begin to imagine how bad it must be in the middle of January.

I'd like to offer something too, once I know where I can send it to and what she could use most - I don't think everyone sending big blankets would be practical, as an estate with lady and 5 dogs only has so much space for stuff :unsure: On the other hand, maybe being on the Jeremy Vine show will hopefully have shamed the council into getting their backsides in gear, although I don't hold out too much hope :(

Am somewhat sceptical of stories like this as I've seen one of our families on the front page of our local paper with a similar tale of woe which we knew to be the biggest load of bollox ever invented.

Not saying this is but am saying do not always believe what the press print please.There may be other reasons why she is homeless and good reasons for staying 'less involved'.

Just be careful :flowers:

I've just listened to the show - the woman called in (it's a phone-in show - is that right?). She's a pensioner, as well as having ME. :(

Sounds very articulate, but worn out. Apparently she has always had a home, which she owned, but the council only offer her first floor flats and will make her get rid of her dogs if she accepts. She implied that she'd kill herself first.

During the day, she seems to be based in Tavistock. She did say she isn't good at asking for help.

There's a story here today: http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/...il/article.html

Reports that her car has been attacked several times by yobs in Tavistock sound a bit unlikely to me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but Tavistock is my local town, and I've never so much as seen someone drunk on the street in the evening... I 'm sure it happens, but it's not a place where there are mobs of yobs at night... And the council reckon that they've offered her a house in Lamerton. i don't suppose it was one of the nicest ones, but Lamerton is not somewhere you could really describe as having a 'council estate', it's tiny. And OK, it's a bit out of the way, but there is a bus to Tavi.

Am wondering if Kats inc may have the right end of the stick here, but I'll go and have a chat with the library people in Tavi, no doubt they will know her if she's there all day.

Edited by cycas

Caught an update on the Jeremy Vine prog a little while ago. They have been inundated with calls offering help to this lady. He said that the local council are aware of her (was said in a tone that made me believe she might be an ongoing problem) and are doing their best to find her accommodation.

I think Jules is probably right and there is more to this lady and her problems than meets the eye. As long as she gets somewhere for herself and possibly some care and her dogs are well treated that's the main thing.

This whole thing has reminded that there was a lady round here some years ago who also lived in her car in appalling conditions as she had mental health issues. She had birds, dogs and cats in her old jalopy and the RSPCA had to come and remove them. She was given housing by the council but vacated it some weeks or months later leaving it in a terrible state and took off into the wide blue yonder.

My New Year resolution was to be less of a cynical old bitch and try to be generous about people. That'll teach me. :laugh: :rolleyes:

She did say something about 'long-standing problems' with the council. I imagine they were rolling their eyes in the council office yesterday when they heard about it.

Ah well. I tried. Back to normal Grumpy Old Woman mode. :biggrin:

I hope she accepts help soon and gets herself and the dogs under cover.

There's a story here today: http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/...il/article.html

Reports that her car has been attacked several times by yobs in Tavistock sound a bit unlikely to me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but Tavistock is my local town, and I've never so much as seen someone drunk on the street in the evening... I 'm sure it happens, but it's not a place where there are mobs of yobs at night... And the council reckon that they've offered her a house in Lamerton. i don't suppose it was one of the nicest ones, but Lamerton is not somewhere you could really describe as having a 'council estate', it's tiny. And OK, it's a bit out of the way, but there is a bus to Tavi.

Am wondering if Kats inc may have the right end of the stick here, but I'll go and have a chat with the library people in Tavi, no doubt they will know her if she's there all day.

The news report says that she previously lived in rented accomodation in Lamerton, so she could hardly complain about being offered a house there.