UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

M&s Insurance

pboae

I think I've whinged about M&S hiking Sully's insurance premiums every December for the last couple of years, but this year they have excelled themselves.

It's gone up from £227 to £671. I can hardly get my head around it. :mecry:

I need to phone them and ask WTF is going on, but I was wondering if anyone else had had an increase like this. I don't know how we are going to pay for it.

He has had a big claim this year, but I checked before I took it out originally and they said they didn't put premiums up because you claimed, I would have gone with petplan otherwise. I did a quote with fake info and the quote came back at £600+ so it looks like they have just put their prices up.

He will be 6 next year, even for a giant breed that's not normally classed as old age. :mecry:

God that's a horribly big increase :(

I wonder if they'll budge at all if you query it and say you're going to have to look for a cheaper policy elsewhere? I know if you've already claimed that wouldn't necessarily be possible because of exclusions, but worth a shot?

I've only got one insured with M&S now but it won't be renewed until May.

The first year it was about £120, and the second it went up to £170, we should have jumped ship then, I don't know why we didn't really. Petplan were already cheaper then, and then we claimed that year so after that we were stuck, and it's just gone up and up, but this is just ridiculous.

:mecry:

Insurance companies set their rates according to their payouts. Since so many people have left M& S maybe they have been left with those who have a claims history and now have a larger proportion of clients who have claims than other companies.

I also read on another forum that Healthy Pets had hiked up their premiums.

I think with the availability of more expensive treatments premiums must increase. At the end of the day the insurance company is there to make a profit. They need to take in more in premiums than they pay out. Those who don't claim pay for those that do.

that is dreadful, i am with petplan and have put in hooooge claims with all of my animals over the past 8 years and i can honestly say that the cost hasn't increased that much (i am now dreading january when the new policy drops through the door) is the condition you claimed for with sully an ongoing thing or something that is likely to reoccur?? i was just thinking maybe you could try what my mum did with her house insurance, call them up tell them you are thinking of leaving and see if they can knock anything of the price

He has ongoing meds for his arthritis, so we couldn't leave, though it's borderline worth it, but there's still the risk of some unforseen accident on top of that, so I wouldn't want to be without insurance.

Are there any other types of insurance policy (other than pet insurance) where you end up tied in like this with no comeback?