UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Renting With Dogs

emeraldlady

Many years ago I lost my home & had to move into a rented house. At the time I had 3 dogs. I couldn't find a landlord who would take dogs so I had to rehome them all & it broke my heart-far more than losing my home did :mecry: .

Things improved after a while & I had my own home again :) , it took a long time for me to feel able to get another dog as the pain of losing the others was so great. Anyway, to cut a long story short I ended up in the property business & became a landlord :ohmy: ! I swore from the start that I would NEVER put anyone through what I had been through & have always had a dog friendly policy. Sadly I am in the minority & with the rising amount of people losing their homes I imagine the situation I was in all those years ago is a common one at the moment :( .

The point of this post is that many of you are likely to come across stories like mine & if there is anything I can do to help I would feel honoured to do so. I would be happy to speak to landlords if anyone is facing the same situation I did & tell them about my positive experiences of letting to dog owners & also to advise them on how to successfully let to doggy households. I believe that a lot of landlords have a blanket policy concerning pets out of ignorance & misinformation & the letting agents are no better. Sometimes just hearing someone elses experiences can make a difference.

Dogs Trust are starting a "Lets with Pets" campaign next year & I have provided them with a quote to use in their literature. I know I'm just one person & it will take a lot more than just me to change things but if I can save just one person-not to mention the dogs-going through the pain & distress I did it would make me very happy :wub:

Please pm me if you think I can help in any way.

Julie :flowers:

Hi Julie

thats a fantastic offer , are you thinking of running this business again by any chance as I know a few people who need to rent in MK next year with animals

one person can make a huge difference and I am sure all the pet owners who rented from you in the past think so and anyone helped by the new Dogs Trust scheme

Sam :flowers:

What a wonderful thing to do. :flowers:

They were talking about this very subject on Radio Suffolk yesterday. They do a rehoming spot for all sorts of animals on Saturday mornings and they were looking for a home for a bonded pair of dogs.

Fellow from the rescue said they had lots of hand ins recently from people having their homes repossessed. :mecry:

That's a lovely offer.I think letting with animals maybe a regional problem as well? When I moved down to Somerset I had no problem finding accommodation to rent.I even found that properties that were advertised as no pets considered me when I explained I had a Yorkie and was willing to double deposit and pay for professional cleaning of carpets when I left.There are still quite a few properties advertised in the rentals section that will accept pets,although I've noticed many of the buy-to-let new properties won't.I ended up renting from a private landlord who had dogs of his own and is happy to allow pets in all his properties - with resonsible owners of course,he does take up several references.

I do have some properties in MK Sam, please feel free to pass on my details to anyone who you know if you think I can help. Pm me for my numbers etc when you need them.

I think it is a regional thing to a certain extent. I have just moved back to Milton Keynes after 3 years in Devon & in the west country so many more people own dogs & its generally a lot more dog friendly. I advertised a house recently in Devon & was inundated with dog owners all telling me they were having no luck finding landlords who would take dogs. In the end I let it to a lovely man with 2 huuuuge rescue crossbreeds-lab with a touch of great dane I reckon :laugh: . He was over the moon & so was I coz the dogs are sooo bootiful :wub:

Someone on another forum suggested that somebody should set up an online database type thing where people can look for dog friendly landlords-I think thats a fab idea. Does anyone know how to do such a thing or know anyone who does? Or does such a thing already exist?

That's a really kind offer :flowers:

We rented when we adopted our first dog. We looked into buying a house so that we could have a dog as our contract said no dogs, but we ended up speaking to our (private) landlord and he decided that he would rather keep us as tenants with a dog than lose us and have to get another tenant, for which we were very grateful. I obtained a letter of permission from him before we approached rescue and adopted our first dog.

I'm very sorry that you went through what you did, but it's wonderful that you can help others in the same situation :GroupHug:

I have a house to rent in Gravesend Kent area from December if anybody is interested. As I have pets myself i have always accepted them as i would be devastated myself if i had to give them up in order to get a roof over my head. They dont do anymore damage then some children anyway :wacko:

A good database for pets welcome like dog friendly rentals is great as trawlling through loads of agents etc is a nightmare, the more people are aware of such sites the better and hopefully there will be more of us accepting pets in the future :)

Someone on another forum suggested that somebody should set up an online database type thing where people can look for dog friendly landlords-I think thats a fab idea. Does anyone know how to do such a thing or know anyone who does? Or does such a thing already exist?

A database doesn't exist - yet as far as I know, however, we are planning to have just such an area on the new forum :biggrin: If you'd like to pm me or Pingu and let us know if you have a website etc we can have a chat with you about link backs etc :flowers:

• 4 months later...