UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Night Out Tonight

lazydaisy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also freely admit that I'm a teeny bit jealous that I am too old and too fat to wear such things anymore :mecry:

I used to wear really short hot pants cut from my jeans when I was younger. They were so short someone once told me the colour of my knickers (and couldn't have guessed) :blush: Oh for my legs/behind to look that good again!

I am now the person that wouldn't wear a swimming costume in public that Victoria mentioned. Although on the flip-side, since having the dogs, I'm happy to go out without wearing any make-up whereas I never used to be.

Free healthcare, contraception, education, the vote - yes, hard-won privileges...and what do we do with it? How do we exercise our great new freedoms? That was my point. Our mindset is back where our grandmothers' was (and I said great-grandmother because not everyone is as old as me) - appearance is paramount, being attractive is more important than being intelligent, and so on.

Those women you cite may well be making choices they were unable to make in the past...but certain women always chose to drink, to dress provocatively, to put themselves at risk. It was ever thus - but in the past it wasn't the women with all the social advantages you mention; it was women with little hope of equality, education, independence.

Sorry but that is complete boll0cks :rolleyes: I am very proud of working in an investment management firm and studying for exmas, I am far more chuffed with a compliment about my intelligence than my figure but I am well aware that I have a good figure and therefore chose to show it off, my best friend is an investment manager, in charge of millions of pounds worth of money, she is gorgeous and dresses fantastically when we're out, other friends are full time mums, lots more people in finance (oddly enough) and we all show our figures off ... why on earth shouldn't we?! We're aware of our intelligence and our looks, why shouldn't we enjoy both?

Sorry but that is complete boll0cks :rolleyes:

Thank you. I expect you're right. :flowers:

(Would that be my whole post, or just parts of it? :unsure: )

I just find it sad as well as funny, I suppose, but it's good to see that women's self-esteem is alive and well - as long as they have a good figure, that is. Hit the larger size clothes rails and they still feel they have to hide away (as some people here have indicated)...hmm...so the half-clad body is ok only if it meets today's standard of beauty? If women were truly confident, it wouldn't matter what shape they were, or what glamorous clothes they wore, or whatever.

As the mother of a student daughter with loads of friends and a busy social life, I can tell you that not all young women share your values, so it isn't just a generational thing.

And now, I'm off, before I say things I may regret. :laugh:

I just find it sad as well as funny, I suppose, but it's good to see that women's self-esteem is alive and well - as long as they have a good figure, that is. Hit the larger size clothes rails and they still feel they have to hide away (as some people here have indicated)...hmm...so the half-clad body is ok only if it meets today's standard of beauty? If women were truly confident, it wouldn't matter what shape they were, or what glamorous clothes they wore, or whatever.

Trust me, my decision to no longer wear hot pants benefits wo/mankind in general. No one else has told me what to wear. I don't think I'm "large" just larger than the size I used to be. Some areas I'm happier being larger in than others. If other people are the same size as me, or bigger, and want to go out semi-naked, good luck to them. I just wear what I feel comfortable with. I've never claimed to be truly confident though, far from it.

I am far more confident in myself now than I was in my yoof :)

However I now think I would look faintly ridiculous kitted out as I used to years ago :wacko: Being blessed (?) with boobs and a cleavage I now use that to deflect attention from the rest of the body that is a bit worse for wear :laugh: Boobs are also going south but with the aid of a good underwired bra can still hold their own :cool:

Thank you. I expect you're right. :flowers:

(Would that be my whole post, or just parts of it? :unsure: )

As the mother of a student daughter with loads of friends and a busy social life, I can tell you that not all young women share your values, so it isn't just a generational thing.

And now, I'm off, before I say things I may regret. :laugh:

Sorry, that was rather rude of me, took it from a personal point of view and reacted :blush02: :flowers:

But I think I disagree with all of it ... Winston Churchill's mother as a prime example of dressing provocatively and drinking to excess etc, she also is the reason he became PM ... in any case in my mind it has never been a certain area of society which has dressed to show off their assets so to speak ... I don't fit todays standard of what the figure should look like either, but I never did like people telling me what to do or how I should look :laugh: and as I said earlier I wouldn't go out with it all hanging out, so I do agree with your view there :flowers: its just that I don't think ALL of todays women in society should be tarred with the same brush, as you have said your daughter agrees with you .... and so do I in the respect that I would never go out purely dressed in underwear, but I would and do go out wearing revealing clothes, however I don't feel this detracts from my intelligence (or lack there off when I get emotive :blush02: :flowers: ) plus my education wasn't free and I pay for healthcare :laugh: in any case I am far more proud of my job which I have worked for than my figure which isn't down to me, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy both of them does it? or indeed that I should hide my figure because I have a brain? why can't I be appreciated for both?

Hope that is less emotive, am very sorry for being so rude :(

Sparkle that comment is out of order. Have an opinion, disagree with someone elses by all means but stay civil.

Sorry :flowers: took it personally and reacted as such ...

Edited by sparkle

Having worked in a club for the best part of a year, and having an active social life along with my own home grown teenagers nothing shocks or surprises me :rolleyes:

I spent the weekend in bournemouth, and we were out on saturday, two girls came into the pub, wearing clothes if you can call them that, that left nothing to the imagination whatsoever, and very little of them :unsure: My only thought was they must be be f*** freezing :laugh: , as we were both wearing, a variety of fleeces, t-shirts and thermals.

If you are comfortable in what you are wearing, go for it and it really does not matter what other think.

Sorry, that was rather rude of me, took it from a personal point of view and reacted :blush02: :flowers:

But I think I disagree with all of it ... Winston Churchill's mother as a prime example of dressing provocatively and drinking to excess etc, she also is the reason he became PM ... in any case in my mind it has never been a certain area of society which has dressed to show off their assets so to speak ...

Sorry :flowers: took it personally and reacted as such ...

My post wasn't well-worded either - I certainly didn't mean to imply that my daughter's "values" were morally superior to yours or anyone else's, for example. She'd be appalled if she thought her Ma was suggesting that. :rolleyes:

Not convinced that the Churchill family has much to teach us about standards of dress, behaviour or politics, but that's just me, I expect. :wink:

I've been thinking a lot about this recently; we have a culture where women seem (to me) to be less free to express themselves now, because of the huge emphasis on appearance. We may think that it was always the same, but it's only recently that vast numbers of women have started to alter their bodies surgically (I mean in major ways), for example, because they think that their own bodies simply aren't good enough. There's a difference between wanting to look good, and wanting to display virtually every bit of the shaved, toned, plucked and surgically altered body as so-called celebrities do, thereby attracting the admiration of the young female population, and encouraging men to think that any woman whose body is more "normal" isn't in fact good enough, or sexy enough, or whatever. I wouldn't want my daughter, if she were still a child, to grow up with that image of "perfection" before her.

Finally...my posts are never aimed at anyone in particular (unless it's a direct answer), so I wouldn't want remarks of mine to be taken personally. I don't want women to stop having fun; I want them all, regardless of shape, to have the freedom to enjoy their bodies, as is their right.

Ariel Levy says it far better than I ever could. That's why I recommend her book. :flowers:

Interesting subject.

I must admit some of the stuff I wore as a teenager my dad hated. Mum was a little more liberal but if I had dressed like some of the 15/16 year olds these days Dad wouldn't have let me out. :rolleyes:

As I have always been a tom boy I love jeans, boots and t shirts so I wouldn't dress like that and never have. However it is up to adults how they wish to dress as far as I am concerned.

I do worry though when I see youngsters dressed provocatively out at night alone. :(

Kazz xx