UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Waterproof And Long Boots - Any Ideas?

ReikiAnge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only long boots that I've found that don't give me horrendous blisters are Hunters, I have the huntress type for my fat calves.

Since my arches collapsed I've only been able to wear walking boots but I've found the same problem as you - if I walk through long wet grass then my feet and boots get soaked. I have some nice gaiters but they are a lot of hassle to put on and take off, look at bit daft and still aren't 100% waterproof.

The only long boots that I've found that don't give me horrendous blisters are Hunters, I have the huntress type for my fat calves.

Since my arches collapsed I've only been able to wear walking boots but I've found the same problem as you - if I walk through long wet grass then my feet and boots get soaked. I have some nice gaiters but they are a lot of hassle to put on and take off, look at bit daft and still aren't 100% waterproof.

I have a pair of the normal Hunters which are absolutely ancient but very comfy. I was going to ask for a pair of the Huntress ones from Santa for Xmas :cool: .

The only thing is, I've read that you usually have to buy a size down from normal shoe size as the Huntress style runs quite large. They would be bought online so don't want to make a mistake. Anyone own a pair that would know?

Edited by Sooty

So do I!

Mountain horse long boot come in wide fitting. I can't get Dubarry ones wide enough for my chunk calfs :D

Is the wide fitting for the calves rather than the feet? I saw that but thought it was the feet bit and I have narrow feet.

Karen, my boots are fine in wet grass, the bottoms of my jeans get wet but my feet stay dry - it's just a pain when I get home, forget my jeans are wet and sit on my feet on the chair and get a wet bum :rolleyes: :laugh:

If you can persevere with your Muck Boots your feet should get used to them in time. Lots of times I've had new shoes which have rubbed my heels raw but eventually I've got used to them and they've been fine.

Let your heels heal first, then wear fabric plasters on your heels with the boots (and one pair of thin socks). Wear them on shorter walks or around the house until your feet get used to them :flowers:

When we take the cadets route marching or do D of E walks we make them all wear 2 pairs of socks. You get blisters because your socks are rubbing against your skin, if you wear two pairs (for route marches the recommendation is a thin pair first with a thick pair over the top) then the sock nearest the boot rubs agains the sock nearest you foot rather than your skin.

It works just as well with 2 pairs of thin socks. Or you can get walking socks that are already made with 2 layers. Personally I prefer the 2 sock approach though.

Kelly, I was wearing two pairs of socks :sad02: I don't with my walking boots but I did with these. Maybe the boots are just a bit loose, I'm going to try a thick insole to see if that helps. I'd rather not give up on them if I can wear them comfortably as I really like them (other than the bleeding heels :rolleyes: ) and was so excited about getting them, I've wanted some for over a year!

Reading through this thread different things suit different people and different feet I guess. I do rather fancy a pair of Dubarry's when I have the funds though.

Thanks again folks :flowers:

I have very tender feet and always get blisters on blisters but La Chameau ones were brilliant. I have worn them solidly for five years and apart from new inner sox they are still wonderful and I would recommend them wholeheartedly. They are neoprane lined so your feet stay at a good temperature too. x

Ange, try a thin pair of socks under your thick socks, that may also stop the rubbing. I have a pair of Musto Ladies Bainbridge boots which I love, I also have a pair of Le Chameau wellies which I also find incredibly comfortable, they are just bog standard wellies, nothing fancy.