UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Thats a great idea Cheryl, I only have 7 hens though and all that grain would be mouldy before I'd used it all. I use Allan & Page layers pellets, they do an organic one too.

I'd go easy on the corn and grapes CT, fat hens soon turn into ill ones, they should really only get a VERY small handful of corn each, and things like grapes a couple of times a week, although you can give them greens like broccoli and cabbage every day. :)

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm impressed Cheryl, but I'm not that organised. I also found that some of my chooks didn't like layers pellets so I switched to layers mash and I add a tiny amount of mixed grain to it. The birds love it and it's much more economical. I still buy layers pellets ( don't laugh because Forrest ADORES them :lol:) but I don't buy it exclusively like I used to. I buy layers pellets, layers mash and mixed corn and vaguely mix them in the feeders.

Chick (now called Billy for obviously reasons) has been moved to the brooder. I have just re-checked the rest of the eggs and in theory there are 3 which should hatch. If not, I'll have to go buy some chickslaugh.gif

Sorry about the lack of pics. We had peeps over for dinner last night so was manic and today I've been to a dog trainer/behaviourist lecture all day. I promise I'll sort it tomorrow.flowers.gif

Forrest is a gannet though, he'll eat anything :laugh:

I've candled Tiger Lilys eggs tonight. I took out three Poland eggs and there is one Brahma I'm not too sure of. So she's on 7 eggs now. We're very excited :pinkie:

Lily Pie has packed her bags and is leaving home tomorrow. She can scream as much as she likes on Grahams farm :laugh:

:biggrin: I am happy. Little Posy chook has been bullied since she got here. I followed the advice given to Jules and had extra food and water sources. It was Angel who was the worst bully and at times she wouldn't even let Posy down the ladder from the coop. Even when they were in the garden Posy kept away from the others.

At the weekend I added a branch into the run and jiggled things round a bit. No change yesterday but when I got home earlier there were 4 little brown hens in the run waiting to be let out and they have all been scratching about quite happily together in the garden :biggrin:

At the weekend I added a branch into the run and jiggled things round a bit. No change yesterday but when I got home earlier there were 4 little brown hens in the run waiting to be let out and they have all been scratching about quite happily together in the garden biggrin.gif

That's good newsbiggrin.gif Long may it continue.

My solitary chick is still a solitary chick with nothing hatching so today I went to my chook supplier and bought 6 new chicks to keep him/her company. Ungrateful little sod has decided they're good to peck at and bully. MY chick is 3 days old, the new ones are a week old and looking at them all, I'm now not so sure he or she is a Gold laced wyandotte bantam but maybe a splash Orpington chickunsure.gif Mine is definitely larger than the others and I only got 4 bantam chicks - the rest are L/F and include a Brahma!! Can't remember what they all are to be honest, but I know one is a Rhode Island Red bantam, a couple of Pekin bantams etc. I'll also get some pics of them for here and then you can all have fun trying to identify themlaugh.gif

(Runs off to charge camera batteries which is the reason I haven't posted promised picsbiggrin.gif )

And their friendships are fickle too :rolleyes: Tiger Lily refuses to eat in her broody coop. She'd starve to death I'm sure. So yesterday morning I got her out in the hope she'd eat if she was with everyone else but oh no they just wanted to beat her up :angry: She's only been on her own for a week! This morning I got her out and she had breakfast and a dust bath before I let everyone else out and she was so happy :wub: While Tiger Lily was out the Independance Day chicks had their first free range too :wub: I shut them all back in their run when the mob came out though. Will do the same again tomorrow.