UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:elefant: After an evening of frantic emails being sent back and forth (and an amount of money we need never divulge to Mr Hazell), I have finally sourced all of the eggs that are going in my incubator on Friday :elefant: I've got too many now though and will have to turn every single egg manually until at least the first candling at seven days or so because there'll be no room for the dividers or turning device :laugh: Oops! And the straw that broke the camels back were some..............

stunning Black Orpington eggs

:partytime:

Arriving in the post and being collected from the Domestic Fowl Trust this week will be.....

The Orps!

Buff Laced Wyandottes

Houdans

White Silkies

Blue & Splash large fowl Polands (some will be frizzle!)

Speckled Sussex

After such a horrible week this is something brilliant to look forward to :biggrin:

The Silkies are Emilys :wub: Wally was her chick and she was upset enough at the thought of him going to live elsewhere so she's taken his death really badly. The chick she decided from the Little Chicks was hers has turned out to be a boy too :rolleyes: The two Light Sussex girls are going to a new home together so in Emilys eyes she is chick-less. We'd better hatch at least one girl Silkie for her :laugh:

Nooooooooooooooo don't put ideas into my head like that :laugh: Thank you though, I should be fine. I tested mine yesterday, I can squeeze them all in. It's so expensive to keep the chicks under heat so it's better for me to hatch as many as possible in one go. It'll be a tight fit until I take out the ones that are not fertile and after that I should be able to turn them automatically.

I am very pleased with my dogs today, they have both been out in the garden (with me and OH out there keeping watch) while the chooks were roaming and didn't even give them a look. Tess wasn't bothered even when one of the hens jumped over her while she was lying down :laugh:

I am very pleased with my dogs today, they have both been out in the garden (with me and OH out there keeping watch) while the chooks were roaming and didn't even give them a look. Tess wasn't bothered even when one of the hens jumped over her while she was lying down :laugh:

Excellent :biggrin: ..........gives me hope I'll be able to curb Daisy's murderous tendencies :unsure:

Hope the eggs arrive soon Cheryl, I should be getting a black Orp with the hens I'm getting, and a blue one, god knows what that will look like.

The Orps were a last minute addition and mean I've got to reduce the number of Speckled Sussex and possibly loose all the Dorkings but I couldn't resist them. I'm very fussy about the type of Orp, there are soooooo many bad ones being sold on Ebay (which is where I've bought some of the eggs) and these were the type I like. Not a split tail feather in sight on the parent birds :laugh: Simple things please simple minds :rolleyes:

Well done Tess! Henry & Ella are brilliant around the chickens but I still don't trust Lizzie. She's quite good with the adult birds but she'd love to chomp a chick :rolleyes:

Excellent :biggrin: ..........gives me hope I'll be able to curb Daisy's murderous tendencies :unsure:

Hope the eggs arrive soon Cheryl, I should be getting a black Orp with the hens I'm getting, and a blue one, god knows what that will look like.

My friend keeps Gordon Setters and went to see another friend who had puppies. The puppies were gently biting the chicken's rear ends, but the daft chicken kept coming back for more. It ended up the chicken dragging the puppies around the yard :biggrin:

My friend keeps Gordon Setters and went to see another friend who had puppies. The puppies were gently biting the chicken's rear ends, but the daft chicken kept coming back for more. It ended up the chicken dragging the puppies around the yard :biggrin:

:laugh:

:ohno02:

Way to go Tess!!! :biggrin: