UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please Elderly Dog

rustyfudge

Rusty is still not very happy, but he is a lot more alert. He has been to the loo now, so will hopefully feel a bit more comfortable.

He has eaten some chicken and I will try the other recommendations tomorrow (the recipe for tuna cake would be great :flowers: )

He's a gorgeous boy :wub: :wub:

If you click here: http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?s=&a...st&p=769008 there's a recent post of mine to a link posted previously for the tuna cake recipe and I explain what quantity I use etc. in case that's any help. I won't guarantee Rusty will eat it but mine love it, as do other dogs I've given it to and even the birds in the garden enjoy it, the Robins go mad for it.

Will keep Rusty in my thoughts :flowers:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you ladies, it is so helpful to hear your stories and know Rusty is in your thoughts.

I asked the vet yesterday about changing from metacam and he recommended previcox, but if they dont work Im definitely going to ask him about rimadyl, its got to be worth a try and its brilliant to hear of dogs that have done so well on it.

His appetite seems to be improving he has just shared my sandwich with me and eaten 6 slices of roast beef.

Thank you so much for the tuna cake recipe... I think it will definitely appeal to him :flowers:

I really wish we hadnt replaced our carpets with hard floors now, :angry: I think we might have to invest in lots more rugs.

I wondered if he had had a stroke Kathy, as is it is all so sudden, and he looked really vacant afterwards. But the vet didnt mention it, and gave him a really thorough check over :unsure:

thanks once again for you kind words

Caroline and Rusty

:GroupHug:

It's a good sign if he's eating, when Sally decided it was her time, she stopped eating and than stopped drinking.

My little Milly had a stroke, it made her walk off to one side and her head was slightly tilted, does Rusty show any signs of this?

I wondered if he had had a stroke Kathy, as is it is all so sudden, and he looked really vacant afterwards. But the vet didnt mention it, and gave him a really thorough check over :unsure:

My old dog Annie(who was 16 1/2 when she went to the bridge) had a similar episode to yours perhaps a year or so earlier. She fell over for no reason whilst she was outside - and it took her a while to get steady on her feet again. My vet said he probably thought she'd had a stroke.

However we had her on Vivitonin after she had the falling over episode and this did help her for about a year. It helps with circulation of the blood to the brain (as far as I can remember) and I would definitely ask your vet about using it. It certainly made a big difference to Annie and I think will help to put off further stroke risks.

Good luck and best wishes

Our oldie, Sweetie, very sadly no longer with us, had a number of strokes we - and a number of vets - think. We tried her on various things and our holistic vet recommended homeopathic Arnica for the strokes/her brain so we had her on that too. I'm sure the things we tried did give her more time.

Rusty is a lot better today. He has had some food (even managing some boring ole dog food!) he has had a little walk with his dad. We have had some more tail wagging activity and even a little bit of eye twinkling. After all that though, he is now snoozing like any self respecting old boy should!

Thank you all so very very much for your kind words and support, it has meant the world to me, and helped me through this tough time :GroupHug: