UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please Elderly Dog

rustyfudge

Rusty is my 15 and a half year old boy. He has been fighting fit, and me and OH imagined years ahead with him. But yesterday his back legs gave way. This has never happened before and it has come as a massive shock (he has been on metacam for the past year of so). We took him to the vets who ran blood tests (all clear) and gave him a metacam injection and some antibiotics just in case he had an infection. We brought him home and made him comfortable then later in the evening he managed to stand up again. He has been pottering ever since but is a little unsteady. I am sat up with him now and he just wont settle, he is trying lots of different positions, places etc and has been doing since he got back from the vets almost 10 hours ago. He is eating ok but he is clearly very unhappy. I just dont know what to do for him. He seems to be struggling more now than earlier in the evening, could the metacam injection be wearing off? The vet says he may simply be 'worn out' and have given up. I know that the light has gone out of his eyes and the wag from his tail,since yesterday. Im hoping they will come back though.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Rusty is my first dog, so my first experience of old age......

Thank you for reading

:flowers:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: I'm sorry to hear about Rusty

Old dogs can have blips and wibbles and sometimes they bounce back. Very sadly they don't go on forever :mecry:

thinking of you at this difficult time :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: thank you, it makes the world of difference to know that Im not alone in this

Im hoping he can bounce back, but I dont want him to push on for us. If he's ready to go then I cant keep him here. Its so so hard thought isnt it, Ive been preparing myself for this for years (or so I thought)

Im spoon feeding him this morning, but so far, he (and me) have not had more than half an hours sleep. I think a rest would do him good, but he wont settle. Will he be able to sense my sadness, he seems reluctant to sleep.

my 15 1/2 year old henry has just had a serious brush with death having a prostatic abcess hes still poorly but is fighting a condition that is fatal in 50% of cases at any age. its been touch and go for a week but he seems to have turned the corner now.

give him a little time and lots of cuddles he could well surprise you :flowers:

I'm not a huge fan of Rimadyl as a fix in younger dogs, but it can give a whole new quality of life in oldies. Sometimes it works better than Metacam (and vice versa). Speak to your vet about longer term medication as the Metcam *will* be wearing off.

It might also be worth looking at 'tonic' types of medication such as Vivitonin and Activait.

I hope this just turns out to be a blip, but 15 is a grand old age for a lot of dogs :GroupHug:

Thank you all so very much :GroupHug:

I hope Henry is soon back to his usual self :GroupHug:

I will ask the vet about rimadyl and look into the tonics too :flowers:

Rusty is stil much the same, I think he may need to go to the loo as he is very unsettled and circling, he's managed a few wee's

I just got a nose nudge which brought a tear to my eye. I usually get lots of nose nudges when Im on the computer, but this was the first since yesterday.... just holding out for a tail wag now

thank you all for your very kind thoughts.

Ive asked if the vet can ring when he is free, and I will mention rimadyl and the tonics to him. I just feel like I should be doing more to help and I dont know what to do :unsure:

He has eaten a bit of Chappie, but seems to be finding it difficult to eat, but I dont know why?

He is asking to go in the garden but then we go out there he wants to come back in :unsure:

we have both managed a bit of sleep this morning :-)

I dont know if he wants cuddles or to be left alone for a bit.

If like the vet says he may be, just simply worn out, would lots of sleep not make him better?

Has anyone had a dog that wasnt actually poorly but just gave up. I am probably being really dim here, but I didnt realise dogs could die that way :(

Could anyone recommend any tempting treats that I could buy from the shop to help his appetite? they have to be soft!

Thank you for reading and for being here :flowers: