UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Where Do You Buy Meat Training Treats?

mole

Nature's Menu treats are fairly widely available, they are basically tiny sossiges and if you want them even smaller they are easy to break into bits with a thumbnail.

They don't seem to be quite as desirable as home made liver cake though, and you can chop that up as small as you want it and it's pretty cheap to make, just takes a bit longer!

I make tuna cake for mine, chop it up when it's cool and then freeze some of it, so one batch usually lasts about a week. It's really easy to make - you just mix the tuna in a bowl with some garlic (if you want), egg(s) and flour, put it onto a baking tray and then cook it and doesn't stink like liver.

You can also buy liver treats from Barker & Barker: http://www.dogtraininginfo.co.uk/products.html - if I buy them I get the medium liver treat size (for lab sized/large collie dogs). The dogs do like them but they prefer the tuna cake - and the Robins in the garden get some of that too.

I looked at the Nature's Menu treats before and it mentions EC permitted preservatives, colours and vitamins - does anyone know if that includes BHA/BHT?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks :liebe94:

The reason I don't make my own is cos it stinks my house out - open plan :mecry:

I also noted the EC permitted preservatives in Natures Menu treats - and not interested in that :(

I did visit my local pet shop the other day to buy tripe sticks (which I do cut up for training treats but it's a right pain as they are quite hard and bendy) and noticed they sold dried beef jerky. It was reasonably cheap and will be much easier to cut up into small pieces than tripe treats as it's in big flattish pieces. The girl who owns the shop says that it's dried lung.

I haven't used it yet as I'm still using bought dried liver (from Durham Animal Feeds - a lot cheaper) but not as keen on this as it is quite hard and I have difficulty in cutting it without it being too big or splintering into tiny pieces.

celeste... interesting about the JWB Pure Incentives as these will be handy to have in case I'm rushing out the door and find I haven't any treats cut up - which I do a lot I'm afraid.

However I feel the dried lung/jerky is going to be very satisfactory. I haven't seen it before.

The reason I don't make my own is cos it stinks my house out - open plan :mecry:

Do you dislike tuna? I am veggie but I make tuna cake for the dogs and really like the smell. It wafts into the sitting room but doesn't bother me at all and the dogs love it. I don't think I could bear to make liver cake though.

I use the recipe here: http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...c=25509&st= :flowers:

I double the quantity, use Lazy Garlic and put the mixture onto a baking tray and cook it in the oven for about 20-25 mins rather than microwaving it. Definitely leave it to cool before cutting it up as it's much easier then. I use a 400g tin of tuna in sunflower oil to make double quantity :)