UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fireworks Time Approaching - What Do You Use To Help Your Dogs?

ReikiAnge

Ange, never mind 10/10, I think a gold star is in order. :biggrin:

This year I am going to ask my vets for something for Toblie, its got gradually worse , we've done the t-shirts, the dap diffusers everything and its got worse and worse and now he is fearful also of thunder storms. Here in London the fireworks go on for weeks and weeks :(

I hate that! We have had them for about a week already and they wont really stop between bonfire night and xmas/new year. :angry: Toblie, can you go away for the weekends at least? :unsure:

Neo has improved slightly. I used the dap diffuser which didnt work. He has red chestnut and rescue remedy. I put a tshirt on him and then just leave the chair out so he can go under the desk (his hidey hole) if he wants to, I find that if I totally ignore him he copes better. He will actually come and lie next to me on the floor now (clinging to the side of the settee) if its just one or too. I dread the weekend before and after. We never go to firework displays either. I couldnt leave him on his own. And even going into the garden for wees is a nightmare as we get rockets coming over our garden :angry: The sooner we sell this house the better. :(

I ignore Sno if I can, if he goes to his crate etc. It's when he gets into a bit of a "blind panic" and tries to get into places that he shouldn't, like behind the fireplace :rolleyes: , tv etc., that I intervene for his own safety.

Mindy, I'm not sure what sort of thing the vet can offer these days but I have read about one drug (is it ACP?, the one boxers can't have?) that will "freeze" the body so the dog can't move, but the dog is still fully conscious - I think that would make Sno even worse :(

Have you tried homeopathic remedies or TTouch? I'm sure both of these have helped. It's really difficult if you are having them go off for days/weeks at all times though :( If we ever look at moving from here I am going to have to be careful where as I think Sno would go insane in that sort of environment. There are a few houses that let them off really near by but thankfully not continually. I really do feel for those with dogs that suffer :(

This year I am going to ask my vets for something for Toblie, its got gradually worse , we've done the t-shirts, the dap diffusers everything and its got worse and worse and now he is fearful also of thunder storms. Here in London the fireworks go on for weeks and weeks :(

Have a look at Serene-Um (spelling?) mum uses this with her terrier and it seems to work and she snoozed through the fireworks last year. You need to start using it a while before the fireworks start and keep using it. Ask your vet exactly how anything he prescribes will work - some sedatives work by making the dog sleepy but don't actually calm them, so they remain fearful but less likely to do the dashing around so it appears they are calm, but it can be just as stressful. I've only read about this though and not had any direct experience, so I could be wrong :unsure:

Edited 'cos I just read ReikiAnge's last post properly and realised that she said much the same about sedatives :flowers:

Edited by Rudi

THe tablets the vet gave me for Holly are calles Xanax I think. They make her forget what she is frighrened of and she settles. They are the pills used in date rape cases so I've been told. They cause short term memory loss.

Barbara

Cliffy really isn't bothered with it, I could actually take him to the firework display

and it woulndt faze him

Tessie and Archie run up and down the house barking a lot and refuse to settle,

not so much scared as anxious

good job I have a big sound system so that will get cranked up a lot but may try some

of the remdies too

Isnt there usually an E petition somewhere banning all displays except

public ones knocking around this time of year, and caslling for a ban on

selling fireworks to the general public.

• 2 weeks later...
I've also started him on Scullcap and Valerian tablets to see if they help.

Fireworks have been quiet up until now, just one or two this week. They've started tonight properly, although we can only hear them in the distance so far.

Sno is currently chilled out in his crate (door's always open, he takes himself in there). I am expecting a reaction when they get closer/louder over the next few days, but this is the "best" reaction to date.

Ooh, as I was writing this, a much louder one has gone off near by. Only one, so not the usual continued onslaught but he's not flinched/moved from his crate :ohmy:

Me thinks we shall be continuing with the scullcap and valerian! (I bought the Dorwest Herbs one from Vet UK - via the OC link:

http://www.oldies.org.uk/?page_id=534 if anyone's interested).

Edited, he's got out of his crate and had a little stretch and come over to see me for a cuddle :wub:

Being here in Shropshire for the week with Kenny was definitly a good idea :biggrin: No fireworks have been hear at all here. When Paul tells me that he has heard them all week in London. Shame we have to go home tomorrow for probably the worst night :unsure: This year I have got Diazepan for Toblie, I will do all the usual things with me, but plan to arrive home tomorrow afternoon in plenty of time to settle him down before it all starts.