UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sleep (or Lack Of)

ClazUK

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the Paul McKenna "I can make you thin" cd and although I never lost any weight, it sent me to sleep a treat! I did wake up at the end of it but was so relaxed and drowsy I drifted right off to sleep again :laugh:

I also find a sleep mask invaluable, it really does help :flowers:

As someone who is trying (and failing) to survive on 3 or 4 hours sleep a night I shall watch this thread with interest!

Nytol didnt work for me at all - helped me get a few extra hours the first time I tried it but has never worked since though I know some people who swear by it and it works a treat for them.

The pad beside the bed is an idea that has been suggested to me a few times as I am another one with a 'busy' brain - not that it makes much sense but busy none the less. Again has not really helped me.....

Have also turned my clock away from me so I can't see it.

To be honest, as I have recently discovered, the biggest cause of continued and chronic insommnia tends to be stress and anxiety so my advice would be to go and see your doctor for some advice as you will get to the point where your body decides that as you are ignoring the warning signs it will MAKE you sit up and take notice. Having ignored all those little signs for the last few months I finally more or less 'conked out'. I was a bit sceptical that stress/anxiety etc could cause such physical symptoms as I had but it does and I am now having to resort to medical intervention to try and sort me out! And I never considered myself a stressy person - so don't ignore the warning signs, have a chat with your doctor.

come here and look after Lucy - you'll be glad of three hours never mind five and I'll love you even more :flowers:
Hope you are well - I might have a few free hours on 28th November if you, Riley & the sprogs want to come out walking with me, Sky & Guinn.

Lisa, it's a stressy time for me; lots of changes, so you are probably right. Sadly I can't control much of it so I'm trying to manage the best I can on the sleep I get :tired:

Well, I've popped my Nytol, I've got my drink, I have Sudokos on standby. Hopefully in an hour I'll be doing this :sleeping_03anim: Wish me and the other bad sleepers good luck. Ninight :wavey:

Edited by ClazUK

If you can't sleep, don't lie in bed trying but get up. Have a hot drink and a snack if you are all wired up. Food makes you more inclined to sleep.

Main thing is, don't worry about not sleeping as that in itself will help to keep you awake.

You can do OK on a few nights of 5 hrs if it's quality sleep. It's not the short sleep which is knocking you out, it's the time you lie in bed agitating. So it's better to get up and potter around.

Only if you are at Trallwm Farm,lie still IN your bed with eyes tightly closed.Otherwise everyone here will be jumping with joy to have a human to talk to and no one else will get any sleep either.

If you open a window so your bedroom gets chilly you will appreciate a warm bed more and consequently fall asleep. An electric blanket helps as well.

Only if you are at Trallwm Farm,lie still IN your bed with eyes tightly closed.Otherwise everyone here will be jumping with joy to have a human to talk to and no one else will get any sleep either.

If you open a window so your bedroom gets chilly you will appreciate a warm bed more and consequently fall asleep. An electric blanket helps as well.

:D come on, I only did it once and am truly sorry that a large greyhound landed on you at 3 a.m. I do open my window at night as it happens and always have a warm bed thanks to the spotted one. Cheer up, only 4 more sleeps and peace can descend on your house again.

When OH had trouble sleeping, he stopped having anything with caffeine after lunch, and we covered up the clock as he could read the time during the night and would then worry even more about not sleeping.

I always find a bath and camomile tea very relaxing, and a few drops of lavender oil on my pillow helps too.

I've got a Lumie Bodyclock light and that helps me get off to sleep. The simulated sunset and sunrise can help your body relax and although I know they don't help everyone, it's made a difference for me. I always read for a while but when I'm done reading, I put the light onto snooze and then over 30 minutes it fades out, simulating sunset.

The other benefit is that the sunrise simulation in the morning means it starts waking your body up gradually so you wake up feeling more awake rather than groggy when the alarm goes off.

I find reading (something nice and lighthearted and chilled) in bed for a short time helps me sleep. I don't usually suffer from not being able to sleep but I have done, due to stress in the past, and it's horrid :GroupHug: I have tried lavender oil on a tissue inside the pillow, along with a crystal meant to help insomnia.

Rob and I often watch something funny just before bedtime, so we're relaxed and have tried to forget any negative stuff going on.

I also find hypnotherapy/meditation/Reiki type CDs/music help get me off to sleep. I had a really great tape from a yoga teacher years ago, I don't think I ever heard the end of it. Just need him to bring it out on CD now.

Hope you can find something to help the sleeping until you can work through what is causing the stress :flowers:

I have thought of trying one of those sunrise things, not for lack of sleep, but lack of sunshine in the winter months.