UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ndwa Conference 2008

Melp

Mel and I were pleased to be invited to this years conference to give a presentation on DNB and BBAS.

Both of us suffered from horrendous nerves and we're glad its all over [and we didn't make total pillocks of ourselves!]

We attended on day two. Speakers on that day were:

Debbie Dawson-Vice President of NACA [uSA] who did a really interesting presentation on animal hoarding.

Myself and Mel-Current position on BSL. We discussed how we began, what we'd been doing for the past year and what we want to achieve in the coming year.

Inspector Neil Davies-Head of Dog Section, advisor to ACPO-Merseyside Police. Neil gave an update on last years presentation and discussed the new policy [in which some dogs are left in the home prior to court proceedings]

Peter Tallack-ex Met police. Dog legislation expert and advisor to ACPO. Pete discussed guidelines for enforcers.

The most interesting speaker for us was Mark Kumpf. Mark is the president of NACA and was heavily involved in the seizing and rehabilitation of the dogs belonging to dog fighter Michael Vick.

Mark was fascinating. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak he's well worth it. He discussed the case in detail and the subsequent rehoming of the dogs involved. He also discussed other dog fighting and cases and is clearly very very passionate about animal welfare.

We had a fab day [once the nerves had settled] and hope we've forged some new relationships with dog wardens in addition to the ones we already have.

I also attended on day 1 to listen to Ryan O'Meara of Pet Owners Parliament, DDA Watch and K9 Magazine. Ryan talked about aggression in dogs. Clearly he's a confident and knowledgable speaker and was fascinating to listen to.

There'll be a proper write up of the conference on the NDWA site in the next few days :)

Helloooooo the Mels! :)

You were both fine, it came across very well and DW's were impressed with the presentation and work you do. It was very nice to hear both yourselves and Police referring to each other positively.

Well done both :liebe94:

Dave my lurve the actual term used by the police was that we were "worth our weight in gold" I'm having it engraved on a plaque to sit on my desk and I'll be reminding Neil of it every time we speak :laugh: :laugh:

How very dare you come on and say nice things after you stood at the back waving and grinning at us like a loon? :angry: you deliberately tried to make us laugh :mecry: :laugh:

Helloooooo the Mels! :)

You were both fine, it came across very well and DW's were impressed with the presentation and work you do. It was very nice to hear both yourselves and Police referring to each other positively.

Well done both :liebe94:

HELLOOOOO :wavey: :laugh:

we had a fab time and the conference /agm was fantastic with some very interesting speakers (except us :laugh: ) thank you all for inviting us :flowers:

Pleased it's all over for you and has gone very well. I thought you would be fine. Well done ladies. :flowers:

being very drunk the night before dulled the nerves slightly and dave was a great help :dry: not lol

Congratulations - I'm really pleased it went so well.

I think you are doing fabulous, difficult and really admirable work (not sure I've said that before but I think it very often). Glad you're getting to a wider audience.

:liebe94:

Edited by Abby

• 4 weeks later...