UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

An 88 Year Olds View Of The Internet.

Kathyw

Mum was very upbeat today and we were chatting away.

She won some bath smellies and a picture frame at bingo and told me to open a drawer and see the smellies.

The drawer was full of cards from her birthdays - so I said she needed to throw them away.

Wrong :wacko: People bothered to go and get them for me, one lovely lady made one for me and I will never throw them away. Ok Mum I said - I won't touch them.

The she asked me how those people (fugees) knew about her birthday.

I said well I tell them about you and they wanted to send you a card for your birthday.

Have they been round home and did they know Daddy and Terry?

No Mum - they have never met you or Daddy or Terry.

Well how come they are your friends and we have never met them, you always bought your friends home. (Little upset here in her voice.)

I know them from the internet Mum.

Where's that?

In cyberspace.

Where?

Cyberspace?

Is that near stepney?

No Mum it's all over.

All over what? By now I am vibrating like a harp string trying not to laugh.

All over the place.

What like a rash?

Yes sort of MUm.

That's daft where is it?

It's like radio waves Mum.

Your Dad was one of those.

One of what Mum?

Radio hams.

Cue Albert and Costello here.

Yes Daddy used to talk to people all over the world - he did it in morse code - you don't know morse code do you?

No Mum I don't.

Then how do you talk to people in radio waves then?

I said I type and they can read it.

So they are in your house - why don't you bring them here?

No Mum they are in their own homes and we talk over the internet.

Yes yes so you said but where is it?

It's called cyberspace Mum.

Let's talk about something else - you are being silly now.

No Mum it's like radio waves.

Daddy did dot dot dash dash and I type - same thing really.

No it's not - you are talking to people you don't know in a place that is somewhere I have never heard of and I think you are being silly - does Ray know you do this?

Yes Mum he does.

Well I am shocked - Daddy would never have let you marry him had he known about this sort of thing.

Now she has totally lost me and I am confused, laughing but confused. Mum is very upset.

You talk to people in strange places, Lord only knows what they are like - you could be putting yourself in danger.

I said the people I talk to are the ones who send you all those lovely cards Mum.

Oh - well get their addresses and send them thank you cards - I can't do it as I have no idea where cyboospace is - does it have a postcode?

No because it's in space and the postman doesn't deliver.

Well they must have the same postman as you and Mum laughed at her joke.

She is going to speak to one of the people in the office tomorrow and ask them about cyberspace and if it's safe for me to go there.

I would love to hear that conversation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:biglaugh:

We sooo need to know what the result of that conversation is, Kathy!

I was going to phone the office in the morning and warn the, but decided not to.

Dilly may well forget by tomorrow but if she doesn't it will be very interesting to hear what they have to tell her because she sometimes hears different to what you have actually said.

The thing is Mum knew about the internet before she went into the home. She never really understood it but knew about it.

I think the worry for her is because she has lost lots of the stuff she knew/accepted.

It's as if she has the book but someone has torn out bits of pages.

Mum said something about worrying how much washing I do of hers. I said Mum I don't go down the river with a washboard, I have a washing machine so it's not a problem.

Mum looked at me with suprise and said 'You have a washing machine, how wonderful.

Mum had a washing machine herself for years - yet seemed amazed that I had one. Cogs missing I think.

Kathy..I read an article the other day, about families dealing with people with Alzheimers or other conditions that affect their memory. The main point of the article was don't upset yourself by trying to make them remember things they can't, just go along with the things they DO remember, even if it's things from thirty years ago. If you keep trying to make them recall things they forgot from last week, you only upset yourself and them..and possibly annoy them too!

Can you borrow a laptop and take to show your mum, so she can see for herself how it works? if she remembers the radio hams, she'll know the theory of it? (that's assuming you don't have a laptop yourself of course, I forget that a lot of people do!)

Kathy..I read an article the other day, about families dealing with people with Alzheimers or other conditions that affect their memory. The main point of the article was don't upset yourself by trying to make them remember things they can't, just go along with the things they DO remember, even if it's things from thirty years ago. If you keep trying to make them recall things they forgot from last week, you only upset yourself and them..and possibly annoy them too!

Can you borrow a laptop and take to show your mum, so she can see for herself how it works? if she remembers the radio hams, she'll know the theory of it? (that's assuming you don't have a laptop yourself of course, I forget that a lot of people do!)

Suzeanna is right, I think you'll get a lot out of the book I suggested 'Contented Dementia'. I think taking your laptop to show your mum is an excellent idea, if you can of course get a connection at your mum's home but they must have the internet there. If you are going to do that perhaps we could start a 'hello Daisy' thread which you can show her. I expect that would make her day! :biggrin:

Edited by Nettie

I have order the book 'Contented Dementia' - Thank You Nettie.

And the idea of taking my laptop into Mum's is brilliant.

I think if I show her what it's like she will get the idea.

I am going in later today to take her meals in so I will ask in the office if I can use their internet connection.

It's as if all the things Mum knows are still there but not in the right places. :rolleyes:

She asked if I minded that Ashe (male carer) bathes her?

No why would I.

Well he is a married man now you know. :wacko:

She had the plork and onions I took in for her?

That was Liver and onions. :laugh:

Just had a thought - it's going to be fun explaining some of the user names. :laugh:

Edited by Kathyw