UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Petition To Stop Bbc Covering Crufts...

sekhmut

What would that achieve? It just lumps everyone who attends Crufts together. Losing TV coverage won't make a dint in the coffers for the NEC or the KC, thousands would still attend. There's lots of people who go along who have nothing to do with breeding and not all the breeders who go are unethical. I'd rather petition them to show more of the obedience, agility and flyball.

I have to admit I don't want it not covered either. Of course I want a change in the breeding disgrace but I think Crufts is a very valuable event and should be celebrated and enjoyed. I don't 'do' showing personally but think the agility, flyball and various rescue work shown etc has huge benefit being seen on mainstream TV.

Don't know if anyone has seen this. There's a letter from a reader in next week's Radio Times suggesting that following the issues raised in "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" the BBC stops showing Crufts. This is the reply:

A BBC spokesperson says: "The BBC remains contracted to broadcast Crufts for the next two years. We will be discussing the matters raised in the film

with the Kennel Club."

A BBC spokesperson says: "The BBC remains contracted to broadcast Crufts for the next two years. We will be discussing the matters raised in the film

with the Kennel Club."

All the BBC is interested in are readers/viewers numbers. BBC and the like have no morals, look at what happened after the Panorama program ie Nipper. At the end of the day all they wanted was a program many would watch and as it was controversial it will keep the BBC in everyones thoughts. Goal achieved.

Edited by EGAR

Thankee :)

Petition link

Petition wording is -

THE PETITION

The BBC exposed some breeders of pedigree dogs showing their dogs knowing had hereditary defects. Some of these dogs have gained show champion status, and are still being bred from. The Kennel Club should ban such dogs from being shown and not register their litters.

DESIRED OUTCOME

The BBC does not televise Crufts 2009 unless changes have been made by the Kennel Club

WHO WE NEED TO INFLUENCE

BBC and the Kennel Club

Something has to be done one way or another. I don't know if my friend's petition is the right way to tackle the issue or not, but at least it is something :flowers:

For anyone who hasn't seen the programme, it's now on You Tube - just search pedigree dogs exposed and it will come up, is in six parts.

Edited by sekhmut

Sekhmut, don't get me wrong, I am the last person on Earth who'd like to see this going on (I have alway been a vehement opponent of line breeding and breeding *for looks* etc). But I think (as with all animal welfare concerns) as long as there is an eager public buying these dogs there will be breeders who are willing to exploit.

Edited by EGAR

I don't disagree something has to be done but the KC is not a legislative body, it can't force breeders to do anything they don't want to. I'm not saying they couldn't introduce more stringent standards, as many other European countries have, but they can only control the people that want to be controlled. There are probably as many dogs born that are unregistered by the KC as registered. We need a Breeding and Sale of Dogs Act amendment that actually has some teeth. It is unfortunate that the new Animal Welfare legislation is clearly a waste of time when people who deliberately breed animals with conditions that cause suffering can't be prosecuted under it.

The KC is not a legislative body and it can't force breeders to do something, but it can force them to do something if they wish to continue registering their puppies with the KC. It could set higher standards for registration - ie relevant breed health tests with good results. Of course the less puppies it registers, the less money the KC receives :wink:

I know people are saying if the KC refused to register puppies from unhealthtested parents, or from parents with less than decent results, it would just push more breeders into unregistered areas - but it might at least mean that people buying a KC registered pup were guaranteed a wellbred pup and maybe it would then encourage some other breeders to start healthtesting/being more careful about what they breed from/with?

I think the KC could also improve its accredited breeder scheme so that those breeders are only those who healthtest and have good results (and yes I gather the test/results bit will take a lot of sorting out).

I feel there are various entries on the KC website that imply puppies which are KC registered are of a certain quality. This is clearly not always the case.

I agree the government should do something but I can't see it happening :(

Exactly Ange. :flowers:

The KC will register anything, providing the stud form is filled in with both parents KC reg numbers. :( Anyone can pay to have their pups listed by them to help to sell them.

The BVA that the hip Xrays etc are sent to work with the KC to add the scores to the database, so why can they not arrange the same regarding other health tests.

Money and time I think. Just my opinion of course.

Kazz xx

I, personally, would prefer the BBC to be more indepth in next years coverage. To follow up on the expose. Keep the pressure on the KC to make changes. Pay more attention to the dogs in the ring and put pressure on judges of certain breeds to be more attentive. Show the judging of the GSDs and the likes. Let the general public see if any changes have been made.

The dogs can't be changed over night, but the KC rules and regs can be. If it scares breeders away - let them go - and the KC will stand for the good in dogs again.

I've seen puppies being advertised for sale with DL registered ...which stands for Dog Lovers and means absolutely zilch. THere will always be thickos who see any sort of initial after something and imagine it must be important, and will buy pups regardless of whether the initials are KC or DL. Good breeders..and yes, there are some whether you think so or not...will always breed carefully and part with their pups even more carefully. Bad ones wont, whatever the KC, Crufts, BBC or anyone else does about it. :(

That's a bit defeatist surely? Something that the documentary graphically illustrated was that in order to make a 'good'buying decision about a puppy, an enormous amount of research and inside knowledge is required: I just don't think it's reasonable to expect someone who is buying a single pet dog to become an instant expert in the field and learn to ignore what a lot of other people who appear expert in the field are saying and doing. In no other field do you require almost the level of expertise to be an expert manufacturer, to just buy a single item for your home.

I can't think of any other industry that takes 'caveat emptor' to such absurd levels as dog breeding, and the only reason that bad breeders get away with it is that people do care about the dogs they buy, and don't want to return them, and there is no real mechanism for them to either warn other dog-buyers, or register their complaint if they have a problem. If dog breeders were producing toasters or children's toys, their poor procedures would have had them out of business for poor quality control and producing items not fit for purpose.

Many industries have voluntary codes of practice and quality guarantees which do not require legislation: some other countries seem to manage to apply that to dogs too. 'It won't work' is not good enough. Either run a regulatory body that will make it work, or go grow sweet peas or some other plant-based life form that's not going to scream if you develop mad forms that don't work. Defeatism and bumbling 'lets be nice' attitudes are not good enough.

After much thought, I think I won't sign this petition because I would rather see the BBC attend Crufts in a different way, and do some proper investigative reporting, follow up some of the stories they have covered, perhaps showcase some of the people who are doing it right, cover the dog sports, but definitely ask some hard questions about all the conformation classes. I'm going to think about that a bit and then write to the BBC about it directly.

I very much disagree that just because people don't know stuff and will do daft things anyway, you should just let them get on with it. Frankly, if we'd built the internet with that attitude, 99.9% of the population would be offline now and stay that way for the foreseeable.

Edited by cycas