UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Meet My New Foster

Fee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This little guy is a total star. I was quite worried before he came about how he'd manage our busy household and being with five other dogs after being an only dog with an elderly couple for eleven years, but I reckon he's having a ball! :laugh:

He's absolutely no trouble round the house (so long as you don't mind him hopefully dropping his tennis ball on your feet from time to time) He's loves to be close to people, and absolutely adores my 13 year old, he spends the evenings dozing with his head on her feet :wub:

We were told he couldn't manage walks because of his weak leg, but for the last few days I've been taking him for short walks and he loves it. He's started getting really excited now when his lead comes out. We've kept it quite gentle so far, but he really enjoys getting out and having a sniff around. Possibly the Synflex has helped, and I think he's maybe already lost a bit of weight.

I've done a few clicker session with him, we've been doing some basic hand targeting, and he's picked that up immediately. He's very bright - or am I just used to sighthounds?. If anyone had the time to work with him I reckon he'd learn really quickly.

He's still a bit wary of Musky and Taz (my big boys) but getting less so, and there's no aggression there at all, he just stays out of their way. He likes the smaller girls, and even shared a bed with Jess and Sophie for a while this evening.

Somebody better adopt this little guy quick before he gets his short fat hairy legs too firmly under our table. Anyone who does will have a fantastic fun little companion, definitely a big personality in a small package! :wub:

Somebody better adopt this little guy quick before he gets his short fat hairy legs too firmly under our table. Anyone who does will have a fantastic fun little companion, definitely a big personality in a small package! :wub:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He seems like a right little character, it's great that he has settled so well in such a different household to what he was used to, sounds like he's having a wonderful time!

Meg is a whippet/terrier X, so I guess she is technically a sighthound - but she's much more 'small terrier' in looks and temperament.

Musky is indeed a whippet, albeit a very large black hairy one :laugh:

I'd definitely be a strong contender for a 'mismatched pair' competition with Ernie and any of the others :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Not a glimmer of interest in my little Ernie

:mecry:

I really don't understand it, he would be the most fabulous little companion for someone who wants a friend rather than a 'pet'. He doesn't do snuggly lap-dog stuff, but he loves company and being close to people, listens intently to every word you say, likes having his ears scratched (he goes all silly and wriggly), and loves his toys. Throw a ball for him and he'll be your friend for life, give him a pigs ear and he'll worship the ground you walk on, OK - there *may* be an element of self- interest in his adoration, but hey, isn't that the same for all of us, he's just more honest about it than most!

:laugh:

He makes me laugh so much. I don't think I've ever had a dog with a more expressive face - and in particular expressive ears. He reminds me of the cute little pre-gremlin creature in the "Gremlins" film (hmm - maybe I won't risk feeding him after midnight just in case!).

:ohmy:

For instance we have a little ritual every morning - I give the dogs their breakfast, Ernie hoovers his down in seconds flat and comes bombing back through the kitchen at full speed. He runs straight underneath Taz

:unsure: and ignores Jess and Sophie as they all eat from raised bowls which he can't reach (bless :wub: ) and heads straight towards Meg's bowl.

Just before he gets there I say a stern "Ernie, No". He stops dead in his tracks, his ears droop sideways and his little face is the picture of total deflation that his cunning (but not very subtle) plan to get an extra breakfast has been foiled - yet again. He then trudges slowly and dejectedly back to his own empty bowl and attempts to make me feel guilty by licking it for several minutes just to make sure there are no minuscule crumbs left.

:laugh: :laugh:

Butter wouldn't melt

:wub:

Ernie7.jpg

Edited by Fee