UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Unassisted Births

Rudi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never had a child.....

but i know when i am in pain-i want to be alone-i done want help/intervention/assistance.

i want me-and noone else

i suspect in labour-i would have been the same.....

fee

I'm watching it and yelling "yay go for it" at the telly :laugh: I firmly believe that for some women it's a brilliant thing to do and it's something I know I'd probably do if by some miracle I had another baby. Georgia was born at home after a very quick labour, the midwife got there a few minutes before Georgia did and she said that if there were a next time it'd probably happen just as quickly and that if I was on my own we'd be fine.

i have never had a child.....

but i know when i am in pain-i want to be alone-i done want help/intervention/assistance.

i want me-and noone else

i suspect in labour-i would have been the same.....

fee

That's just the thing - there doesn't seem to be pain. One woman just gave birth with her husband filming and didn't make a sound, she was completely enjoying the experience and the baby was so peaceful.

Edited to say the lady giving birth now doesn't seem to be finding it so pain free :unsure:

Edited by Rudi

wow that is some thing !

it looks better than being on your back in pain with people you don't know

but i am not sure if i could go that far!

i like the idea of being at home with a midwife that you know and get on with

but it should be up to the person having the baby.

( i hated the pain thing not sure what i would have done with out gas ?)

But i needed a lot of help as i am prem

Not watched the programme but if I'd done that with Ceri he would probably have died - he was almost flatlining before my emergency caesarian as my cervix wouldn't open.

But, I do believe that a lot of his distress was caused by medical intervention - breaking my waters with a stick, pethidine (hideous drug), attaching a monitor to his head in the womb and five attempts to give me an epidural while I was leaning forwards as the idiot trying to do it insisted that I had a twisted spine and no gaps between my vertebrae (since proven to be wrong) and despite my protesting that I didn't want one :(

Oh yes and not to mention vinegar tits the worst possible midwife ever who it was my misfortune to be on duty when I was in labour

However, I'd have loved to have done it at home, unassisted if my body had allowed.

Friend of mine is giving birth today, not like that though, she's in hospital - last time she tore really badly and had to have lots of stitches (OWOWOWOWOW) - imagine that would be very difficult if at home.

I know she's really worried about getting another tear and ending up incontinent, given what happened last time and the baby is late and thought to be big - so have fingers crossed for her.

Friend of mine is giving birth today, not like that though, she's in hospital - last time she tore really badly and had to have lots of stitches (OWOWOWOWOW) - imagine that would be very difficult if at home.

I know she's really worried about getting another tear and ending up incontinent, given what happened last time and the baby is late and thought to be big - so have fingers crossed for her.

Fingers (and legs) crossed for your friend :flowers:

That's just the thing - there doesn't seem to be pain. One woman just gave birth with her husband filming and didn't make a sound, she was completely enjoying the experience and the baby was so peaceful.

I think it's because she was so relaxed. The more uptight you are, the more it hurts. I've learnt that if you remain completely calm, be quiet, listen to your body and do as it says, it doesn't hurt too much. I reckon the NHS could save literally millions of pounds every year if they just took childbirth back to basics, taught women how their bodies give birth, prepare them properly for the things they will feel and teach them not to be scared of those feelings. Most women giving birth for the first time are frightened, and it's fear of the unknown. Fear makes birth even harder. So why are women not being shown that there is nothing to fear? They should be taught that if they do X, Y and Z then giving birth will probably be a whole lot easier for both mum and baby. Instead they get told about various artficial methods of pain relief, instrumental deliveries, interventions, the dangers involved etc etc etc frightening them half to death all throughout their pregnancy. It's madness! Women are then losing faith in their own abilities and the whole birth process is over-managed and made much more difficult that it needs to be, for everyone.

While there are bound to be women and babies who need extra help, there are plenty more who should be giving birth at home and as nature intended. That birth mentioned above was just like Georgias. She was wide awake and alert when she arrived, didn't cry at all she just lay there in my arms watching us :wub: I wish more women could believe in themselves and have births like that.

I hope your friend as a easier time this time. Each of 4 were different births, so there could be a chance she might not need stitches this time :flowers:

My OH was only there for the birth of my 4th son. He was always tell me to lay down, when I got on my knees or got up, he got very close to me murdering him. :biggrin: :biggrin: Mind you I made him suffer, lets say, long finger nails :laugh: :laugh:

I think it's because she was so relaxed. The more uptight you are, the more it hurts. I've learnt that if you remain completely calm, be quiet, listen to your body and do as it says, it doesn't hurt too much. I reckon the NHS could save literally millions of pounds every year if they just took childbirth back to basics, taught women how their bodies give birth, prepare them properly for the things they will feel and teach them not to be scared of those feelings. Most women giving birth for the first time are frightened, and it's fear of the unknown. Fear makes birth even harder. So why are women not being shown that there is nothing to fear? They should be taught that if they do X, Y and Z then giving birth will probably be a whole lot easier for both mum and baby. Instead they get told about various artficial methods of pain relief, instrumental deliveries, interventions, the dangers involved etc etc etc frightening them half to death all throughout their pregnancy. It's madness! Women are then losing faith in their own abilities and the whole birth process is over-managed and made much more difficult that it needs to be, for everyone.

While there are bound to be women and babies who need extra help, there are plenty more who should be giving birth at home and as nature intended. That birth mentioned above was just like Georgias. She was wide awake and alert when she arrived, didn't cry at all she just lay there in my arms watching us :wub: I wish more women could believe in themselves and have births like that.

I agree with you so much. The info my daughter has been given (first pregnancy) would be enough to put you off for life, If you weren't already pregnant!!!!! But I was lucky. Had 4 and shelled them all like peas!! :biggrin: And breathe!!!!!! :laugh:

Home birth possibly, bit unassisted - NO WAY. Having seen some very normal births occur and babies being born flat and needing resuscitation I'd never have an unassisted birth. If u look at the stats from developing countries where many babies are born without assistance the death rates of mums and babies are shocking. Some of this will be due of course to worse antenatal care but not all. Not worth the risk IMO.

Incidentally it is as far as I know illegal for anyone other than a midwife or dr to assist in the birth so that goes for relatives/husbands and friends helping.

There was a report called the Tew Report, it was a statistician who gave her students a topic of comparing the perinatal mortality rates between home births and hospital births, who was very surprised to find that home appeared to be safer!

Found this that is interesting, and includes the figures I found when we decided to try for our first home birth:-

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/homebirthuk.asp

We have had 2 of our children in hospital, and 4 at home. Guess you can see where we preferred to be.

The whole experience of staying at home, and it all just happening so normally is one that feels so right.

Your own bed, your own bathroom, your own environment - less risk or cdif or mrsa. You choose the visitors and the visiting hours, I could go on.

I think I heard that as long as someone is not acting as a midwife on a regular basis, ie it is a rapid birth, then that is quite within the law.

Oh, and it is not that messy.