UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Is Exited

Ciren

Peaches has start to show evidence of wanting to run. i don't have the courage nor to be honest the security away from a busy road to let her off lead. i just bought a extendable lead which i am going to put on her when we get to the field. i can't wait to see if she starts to run, she is so cute, as i call it, going tongues and tail!

That's great; the exercise will do her good. I never trust my cavalier off-lead (except on remote beaches/forests) - Bonnie has no sense of danger and will chase birds or whatever. :rolleyes: Do you have a harness for her? It's easier to let them have a run on an extending lead if you use one - if she only has a collar, the extending lead will tangle more easily.

Pics of running Peaches, please? :wub:

there are times i think i will never understand that dog, i even tried weaving around so the lead was extended but she still stayed close to me, i not sure weather i should be happy because she wouldnt go far from me or dissapointed cause she didnt get the idea to run free.

apart from her usual stunt of trying to run across the road to get to home. :wacko:

oh and hubby has the camera on his phone, i will try and get piccies of her running when she does her loony tooning round the garden.

your hubby looks almost as happy as the cav :D do you go on the cavalier forum?

there are times i think i will never understand that dog, i even tried weaving around so the lead was extended but she still stayed close to me, i not sure weather i should be happy because she wouldnt go far from me or dissapointed cause she didnt get the idea to run free.

apart from her usual stunt of trying to run across the road to get to home. :wacko:

oh and hubby has the camera on his phone, i will try and get piccies of her running when she does her loony tooning round the garden.

your hubby looks almost as happy as the cav :D do you go on the cavalier forum?

It's very early days, if she isn't used to it; perhaps she feels more relaxed in the garden at the moment - and there aren't so many scary distractions. Try to get her chasing a ball (or anything) in the garden and then take the ball with you when you go out? She may chase the ball on the extending lead.

I did belong to that forum but I joined too many and couldn't keep up. :blush02: Must try again.

Ranirottie, that is the only time my husband runs. I make him go to the other side of the park/field/beach and run towards me on the pretext of taking photographs of Bonnie. Then I say, "sorry, missed that. Could you do it again?" :laugh: :laugh:

It's very early days yet so give her time. It could literally take years.

I agree. We got Bonnie when she was two (private rehome) and it took a while for her to get used to playing and running. She's now nearly 5 - and very playful.

Peaches has a lot to get used to - new owners, new house, new routine. If she's at all scared of the ball, I wouldn't roll it towards her - maybe roll it away from her so she can go and follow it if she wants. Cavs can be very sensitive and you don't want to risk making her nervy - I'd just let her enjoy her walks for now.

Is this her first proper home?

heh i roll a ball at her and she runs away as if it is going to hurt her, she enjoys her walks her tail never stops wagging, its just she never strays to far from my side.

Harry and Islay stay close to me when I'm walking them on my own but when OH is with me they're happy to wander away and have a good run - I find it quite touching :wub: (but I think they don't think I can be trusted to be left :rolleyes: :laugh:)

We've had Islay since she was 7 weeks old but it did take her quite some time (close to a couple of years if I remember) before she was happy to leave our sides on walks so as others have said just let Peaches set the pace :flowers:

She really is beautiful :wub:

It could indeed, you have to be patient and let her dictate the pace :flowers: Sno, my collie type, wasn't puppy farmed, but did spend a long time in rescue kennels and had apparently not lived in a house before going into rescue so I see quite a few similarities with ex-puppy farm breeding dogs. He does not like toys (unusual for a collie type) and runs away from them, though he's got a little better, but I am careful not to throw things for the other dogs in his direction as it scares him.

If she tried to run across the road to get home, I would keep her on lead anywhere near a road until her recall is better and she's more confident. She may well get confident enough to be fine off lead, but there's no rush for anything is there? You have the rest of her life :wub:

Different dogs have different requirements too - there are places I would let Max off lead for example, that I wouldn't let Sno, because he is far more likely to get spooked by something. You've not had Peaches very long, it really is very early days and it can take quite a while to get to know a dog properly :flowers:

I agree

Peaches is an ex breeding girl? How old is she? Does she have another dog to learn from?

Just a comparison for info......Smudge (cocker spaniel) was puppy farmed for the first 3 years of her life, and then came to us via a Many Tears foster home. We have taken everything at her pace.She has a natural curiousity which helps, but nearly 2 and a half years later, still has no interest/ idea of how to play with toys, despite living with another cocker who always carries a toy in his mouth. It took over 6 months for her to be able to go offlead,and she rarely runs.We have had one occasion where she was spooked and bolted back to the car (which was over a mile away). She honestly prefers to be indoors or in the car, and so will only show any enthusiasm on walks when she knows she's on the way home.It does take a lot of time and patience, you have to remember their background and the fact that the world is new to them, take things slowly, be guided by them,and don't push them at all as it can make them withdraw. It's only in the last couple of months I've been able to use a clicker for training with her- until then the noise would spook her and she would hide in her crate.

My advice would be to expect progress to take years,and then be pleasantly surprised if it only takes months instead.

Edited by Maria