UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cracking Ponies In

Trallwm farm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They plod for the plodder but wait for the conspiritorial whisper which frees them into life

Maybe one day I will be able to have another, I still miss mine and he has been at the Bridge for 3 years.

QUOTE (Carolh365 @ Jun 28 2008, 10:55 PM)

Last time I did that it got to 2ft and I got scared

We will put you on one of our pro horses and you can just shut your eyes.

That is how I got my BHS Stage 3, when it came to the jumping I aimed then closed my eyes, and I passed it. :laugh:

I've fallen for that too Jacky :laugh: People look at Domino and say 'Ooh, he looks like a nice steady cob'. I just say yes he does *look* like that but in reality he is a great big giddy norty thoroughbred wearing a black and white vest :laugh:

Well done on your new home Megs :wub:

I've fallen for that too Jacky :laugh: People look at Domino and say 'Ooh, he looks like a nice steady cob'. I just say yes he does *look* like that but in reality he is a great big giddy norty thoroughbred wearing a black and white vest :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Rolo has been described as a thoroughbred brain in a cob body :)

Well done on your new home Megs :wub:

:laugh: :laugh: I love that discription!!!! :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Duchess1003.jpg

Lively Welsh sec D cob apparently part bred but I reckon is pure

Smokey002.jpg

Reg Newforest 14.2hh with bags of attitude

Highland004.jpg

Highland that needs restarting

Highland016.jpg

Random mother and foal pic with a gelding acting as thier protector as we have natural herds only here

lovely picture, but what is a natural herd please and its preference to *other* herds?!

We mix all horses together but they have enough space to form breakaway herds.

A lot of places now have mare and gelding groups, seperate paddocks and so on. We allow our horses to form bonds with all ages and types which re-enforces the herd behaviour and instinct. Its a fantastic tool for a horse that has been seperated at a young age and then kept isolated from natural herd behaviour. They learn manners ,space ,natural horse behaviour and are so chilled. I have had youngsters that we have allowed the herd to teach and whom we then bring out and back them the same day. They have learnt how to deal with humans by how the rest of the herd behaves towards us.

Its such an easy sensible way that it fascinates me that people go to the trouble of seperating foals and creating themselves problems for the future. Horses often create havoc because they dont know how to behave and dont understand body language. Our herd Matriarch is Irish who was born in the plains of Arizona and is as wild and free as you can get. I wrote about her in the last book. Everyone knows Irish runs the herd and she has "staff " who are a group of geldings who do her bidding and always graze on the outskirts as lookouts.

Highland012.jpg

Highland017.jpg

Edited by Trallwm farm

We mix all horses together but they have enough space to form breakaway herds.

A lot of places now have mare and gelding groups, seperate paddocks and so on. We allow our horses to form bonds with all ages and types which re-enforces the herd behaviour and instinct. Its a fantastic tool for a horse that has been seperated at a young age and then kept isolated from natural herd behaviour. They learn manners ,space ,natural horse behaviour and are so chilled. I have had youngsters that we have allowed the herd to teach and whom we then bring out and back them the same day. They have learnt how to deal with humans by how the rest of the herd behaves towards us.

Its such an easy sensible way that it fascinates me that people go to the trouble of seperating foals and creating themselves problems for the future. Horses often create havoc because they dont know how to behave and dont understand body language. Our herd Matriarch is Irish who was born in the plains of Arizona and is as wild and free as you can get. I wrote about her in the last book. Everyone knows Irish runs the herd and she has "staff " who are a group of geldings who do her bidding and always graze on the outskirts as lookouts.

Thank you for the explanation, that sounds perfectly magical. It's funny how we think we can do things better then nature sometimes when nature has looked after her own for so long! :flowers:

xx