UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs And Full Time Work

BOB

I have been wandering how many fugees with dogs work full time?

And how do you cope?

We have foster dogs and I go home at lunchtime for an hour and hubby is home by 3.30pm most days but I have convinced myself that it is unfair to have a permanent dog until I work less hours.

What do you all think/do?

I used to work full-time out of the house and had dogs and used to go home at lunchtime and they were fine. I wouldn't recommend a really young dog in that situation*, or of course a dog that didn't like being left, but for older dogs that are happy to snooze I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't want to have just one dog in that situation, so that the dogs have each other for company at least - just my preference :flowers: .

I did wait until I went part-time to adopt Sno as he'd not lived in a house before, had been in rescue kennels for over a year and really needed - and still likes - plenty of attention. However, having seen him settle into the house and how good he was when I did work, I think he would have been fine with being here when I worked full-time - it would have been better than him being in a (very good) rescue centre and he'd have had more individual attention here, even with me working during the day. Oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

*We did lose a number of things to being chewed when we had much younger dogs and I would never adopt a puppy in that situation.

Y work full time, the dogs wait for me to go in the morning so that they get their treat/kong, can nick the cat food, empty the bin if I have left it accessible, chew the remote control :rolleyes: Then they sleep/play until the first person gets home at 4. Then what do they do?? Do the hello dance and heave a huge sigh of relief that they can now get upstairs and back on my bed :laugh:

They have a dog door so have garden/paddling pool access all day

Me and hubby both work full time, hubby is on shifts so quite often there is someone around however if OH is day shift then mine (3 collies) can beleft for up to 12 hours with no problems :) If it's gonna be longer than that (me away for instance) then I ask my friend to come over and let them out half way through the day.

I work from home and for the majority of the day my dogs all sleep and ignore me. For what it's worth if you manage to foster dogs who are basically unknown quantities when they arrive and work full time then I'm sure you'd find having your own dog a piece of cake.

I only went into full time work in January. My partner changed jobs and has taken a severe pay cut whilst training for his new role as a train driver. We needed to know we had a definate income from me during this time and my dog work is far too erratic to rely on to keep a roof over our heads.

I have a family friend who has known my dogs from day one who can come over and sit with them,play with them and walk them. Mostly though my eldest daughter stays here during the week :) In a few months my partner will be back on shift work too so he will also be around during the daytime often.

Its hardest on me as I really miss the time I used to have with them. The main thing to have suffered is their training.

Hmmm good point Ange.

Dougal used to eat books and the post while I was out at work.

Meg ate two dining chair legs and the leg of an antique oak wardrobe.

Cassie ate the skirting boards, a door and a wall and the door frame.

Mine weren't quite that bad :laugh: We did lose post and some shoes/clothing and sofa covers/cushions and carpets were a tad ruined but no walls thankfully! Max also broke a window but that was while I was there.

Its hardest on me as I really miss the time I used to have with them.

Yes, I would agree with that in our case too. The dogs chilled out (when they were older and not eating things) and I spent the day missing them.

I work fulltime too - I have fostered too, I get home at lunch for an hour, walk the dogs leave them a nice treat when I go out - when I am in all day they mainly sleep anyway as they are oldies. I think I feel happier that there are 2 of them and they are older, not sure I would want to leave a very young dog because of training etc. As you already foster then you would manage fine.I walk mine 3 times a day before work, lunchtime & after work - they know the routine both are very content.

I work full time and I have one dog who is 13. I go home each lunchtime and whatever the weather we go for a walk. I always give her a little treat when I leave. She seems perfectly happy with the arrangement as she sleeps for most of the day!!

I work full time and have a horse to care for too. Mine get a hour off lead in the morning, then they are left from around 8 til around 5.30 or 7.(Depending on what I need to do with Kane). They then get another good off lead run in the evening, usually with a mate and their dogs. Mine have access to the garden via the dog flap and are don't seem to be bothered by the routine. I wouldn't have a puppy with these hours, when Sidney was a pup I was in the process of buying a new house and business so wasn't working, and when I went back to work it was evenings and after being out all day they didn't even notice I wasn't there!!! :laugh:

I believe the life my dogs have is better than alot, they get long regular exercise, good food and have canine and human company, of course I'd love not to have to work but I can't so this is the best I can give them. I'd never have just one dog and leave them that long, after having 4 I know I'll always have at least 3 dogs in my life and I think that makes being left alot easier for them.

I work full time,the Ds have an hour plus before work then I go home for lunch and they have about 35 minutes and another hour plus after work and 20 minutes round 9.00pmish. Luckily I have a decent size park across the road so almost all this is off-lead and they really do sleep while I'm at work. Very occasionally I have to have lunch at 12.30 instead of my normal 1.00pm and they both come to the door yawning their heads off whereas when I come at 1.00 they are sat on the stairs looking out the window making me feel like a bad owner :laugh: I never leave them in the evening unless I have the day off or at the minimum half day,simply not fair to leave them all day and evening too. Needless to say my social life is non-existant.One of the reasons I got Daisy was that Duncan was lonely,whereas Zico was quite happy being an only dog and I honestly think would not have enjoyed living with another dog.Duncan chewed everything - sofa, vertical blinds,carpet,stair rails,shoes,duvet covers......but then he chewed if I left him for 5 minutes* so not sure the two were connected.I constantly check with my neighbours that they don't bark and annoy them. They do bark if someone comes to the door - or if they see a cat but I've been assured it's only a couple of barks and they are quiet again very quickly.

*Including one evening when I was having a shower,a huge hole appeared in the bathroom carpet - and he was in there with me.....

Edited by zico's mum

My wife and I both work full time, term time only (we work in schools).

When we first got our dog I worked shifts, so he was only left for either a few hours in the morning or a few in the afternoon (depending which shift I was on).

Irrespective of which shift I was on, he was walked last thing before I went to work, last thing before my wife went to work, and first thing when I or my wife returned.

I later lost that job and took on the job at the school. It was a concern how the dog would cope - we were (are!) on a much lower income, it's awkward to get away from work at lunchtime, and as for getting a professional walker in - our financial situation would make that extremely difficult.

He never actually did much other than sniff on his lunchtime walks, *perhaps* a token effort to pee, but even that token effort was rare.

Given that he's very good wrt not needing the toilet at lunchtimes (he can also last overnight!!) - evidenced by him not taking the chance when offered - he copes very well. We make sure he's walked twice in the morning before work, and again immediately as I return home, plus a longer evening walk and another short one before bed.

Until our situation changes though, we'll not be in a position to get another dog. It works OK for him but he had 18 months to settle in with us before the change happened. A new dog would not have to cope immediately - one of us would just have to leave work at lunch, (it's awkward, but possible), but given our financial status, taking on another dog isn't viable at the mo anyway.

Edited by Terrier

Over 25 years ago I brought home a 6 week old GSD puppy, I took 2 weeks off work to settle him in and after that I went back to work full time as did hubby, in those days no one ever considered going home at lunch time to see to the dogs so he was left for up to 8 hours a day 5 days a week and that continued for the next 5 years until I eventually went part time.

He was walked first thing in the morning before we went to work, and then in the evening it was either training classes (we were doing competitive obedience in those days) or the beach or a good off lead romp in fields, or over the dunes, occasionally after he was walked we as a newly married couple would go out for the evening without him (makes me cringe now to think about it - how times and views have changed). The vast majority of the time he came with us everywhere but there were ocassions where he'd didn't - we were on a tight budget in those days so actually taking him out was a good cheap social life for us and leaving him at home was actually quite rare but it did happen.

If either of us had a day off he would sulk - not kidding - because we were messing up HIS routine he'd huff and puff and grumble because he wanted to be upstairs sleeping and instead he'd be bothered by cleaning, or us moving around or shock horror wanting to walk him earlier or do some training :ohmy: he did have 2 cats for company but no other doggy companion.

Yes he chewed stuff when he was a pup but to be honest he chewed stuff when we were there too :rolleyes: :laugh: my nice new pine bench and table set and matching coffee table ended up with rounded off corners because he decided round suited him better than square :rolleyes: :wub:

He was always given the full run of the house (didn't know about crates in those days wouldnt have used one if we had) tho as a very young pup I confined him to the downstairs until he was big enough to manage the stairs without me worrying he might fall and hurt himself, I don't remember house training taking any longer than it has with any other dog and in fact it was a damned site faster and easier than it was with a slightly older dog we had after him when I wasn't working at all.

I now work part time and Nog is probably left no longer than 4 hours maybe 2 or 3 times a month if that - but even so if I am on a day off or at home he spends the vast majority of the day asleep on my bed it wouldn't bother him in the slightest if it was everyday or a few hours longer, so long as we're around in the evening and he gets his walks and play time he's far far happier than he was as a starving, abused, cold and frightened stray.

I wouldn't advocate doing the same again with a puppy even tho it worked out fine for us, but I have no issues with dogs being homed by full time workers provided they make the dog their main priority when they are away from work and don't go on leaving the dog on it's own if they find it isn't at all happy being left.