UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Thug Horse Advice Please

supafrisk

OK, I dont have any horse knowledge. But please dont beat yourself up over it. Being blind in one eye clearly isnt a problem to him, so dont let it be a problem to you.

You say you never noticed that he guarded his o/s, do you know why? Because you two have a relationship, he trusts you. He doesnt need to protect himself against you. He may be a stubborn fiesty young man, but he loves you.

That boy is yours.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been the yard.

She didn't say it outright but she wants him shot :mecry:

She says he is a "death machine" and to put him back in my field would be lethal.

I am sitting here sobbing my heart out, I told the woman I'd keep him for life as a pet if I had to but she's saying he's so strong and wilful and a bully that if I was to have him back he would end up killing me or my sister.

She says because he is halfway broken now, to put him back into a field would tell him that he's got away with it and would make him worse.

She said I *may* have friends who have horses who are rideable and who have been blind from birth but they were probably broken in from 4 years old, not 6. She said all horses are individuals and that Thug is a very strong horse who knows his own strength, his blindness is on his offside (his roadside) and what would happen if a lorry came along and he spooked and put me through a car he couldn't see :mecry:

Edited by supafrisk

I've been the yard.

She didn't say it outright but she wants him shot :mecry:

She says he is a "death machine" and to put him back in my field would be lethal.

I am sitting here sobbing my heart out, I told the woman I'd keep him for life as a pet if I had to but she's saying he's so strong and wilful and a bully that if I was to have him back he would end up killing me or my sister.

She said I *may* have friends who have horses who are rideable and who have been blind from birth but they were probably broken in from 4 years old, not 6. She said all horses are individuals and that Thug is a very strong horse who knows his own strength, his blindness is on his offside (his roadside) and what would happen if a lorry came along and he spooked and put me through a car he couldn't see :mecry:

Emma, tell her to feck off and get an opinion from someone with some compassion and understanding :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Mark (O/H) just redeemed his self slightly by adding his 10p worth.

He said basically why I am I listening to people who in his opinion don't know what the **** they're doing, by the sounds of it, and their way of dealing with a stroppy horse is to intimidate it or smack it around. He said get a 2nd opinion and get him out of there asap.

He said basically why I am I listening to people who in his opinion don't know what the **** they're doing, by the sounds of it, and their way of dealing with a stroppy horse is to intimidate it or smack it around. He said get a 2nd opinion and get him out of there asap.

Hallelujah! Sorry, I've been following this but haven't posted as others have more knowledge. I am suddenly liking your OH :laugh: :flowers:

ETA Could Thug's breeder help you for now?

Edited by mooandboo

I think he is right.

Earlier this week this woman's OH (or partner, whatever) wanted to buy Thug from you didn't he? And now you want him back they are telling you he should be shot? Why, because they've realised he can't see from one eye and is not worth as much as they perhaps thought? Much as I know b*gger all about horses, I think he needs away from them asap.

OMG, I'm afraid to say that the air just turned blue around my head....

Your OH has his sensible head on, do as he says. I'm sure there are ways to get him out of there quickly, was it the breeder that said they'd help...

Really sorry you are having to go through this at the moment, but it will work out in the end, and he doesn't need to be shot. At least give him a chance??

Emma - why don't you pm Lesley (Trallwm Farm). She will give you some good advice and I'll bet £100 to the rescue of your choice that it won't be to shoot him. (Sorry, it's a safe bet!! I'm broke at the minute).

Get him away from these horrible people, ask his breeder to help you as she has offered. I'll bet when she hears that he's blind in one eye, she'll want to help. The people are talking absolutely poppycock - they haven't a clue.

If I had to answer that stupid woman, answer by answer, I could but frankly she's not worth it. Anyway, how come they are still so interested in your welfare?????? I don't believe a word of what they're saying. I presume they'd like to arrange to get him shot for you - it would be far too distressing for you to witness. Who knows whether they would really carry it out or whether they would just sell him on. I suspect the latter. It all just smells of a scam. :unsure:

Truthfully, he will be fine once you've got him away. Of course he can be turned away if that's what will be best for him. Just do it. :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I can't have him shot :mecry:

I won't have him shot :angry:

In desperation when I felt she was pushing me for a decision and I'd explained I knew people who had horses in the same situation and she said that wasn't an option as it was on his blind side (and that he was dangerous) and then when I said "Well, I'll just have him back home as a companion then" and she vehemently stated that he wasn't fit for that either and was lethal, a death machine and would end up killing either Kirstie or me, in desperation I mentioned Lesley's sanctuary and said I would have a talk with Lesley. Well that went down like a lead balloon too, her attitude was basically, talk all you like to whoever you like but it doesn't alter the fact that he's dangerous - she went on to say if he was a mare she would have recommended having her covered but he's a gelding so..... is he insured :angry:

Spoke to Mum and my friend Debbie.

Mum says get a horse whisperer in (ugh yes I hate that unfortunate terminology but Mum's not horsey but her heart's in the right place), get him boxed and back to our yard and he can live out his life as a companion as Polly Pops did when we found out through medical reasons she was unrideable. She's said if I still want one for riding she will buy me one so Thug no longer has any pressure on him.

Debs says get him up to her yard, he needs to become a horse again, not the product of a load of nutters.

I need to decide where he's going and how he's getting there.

If he was a nightmare to box two weeks ago, he will be worse now (not because he's blind but because of their treatment last time he was boxed and I've also remembered, they put him in the box with a pony on his good side and demanded he box on his blind side, is it any wonder he was rearing?).

I will be ringing Sandra (breeder) for the boxing, she's my only hope really and I may get a IH in for help because I don't have weeks over this, or even days.

I suspect the longer Thug is there, the more Alyson will continue to try to work on me to have him destroyed - she told me she'd had a grey mare who was lovely 90% of the time but a nutter 10%, it put its front hooves through Nick's front window. Someone offered her £750 for the mare and Alyson said no, she was having her shot in the field and went ahead and did it because IHO the horse was a danger to others.

Edited by supafrisk

I have just spoken to a saint (albeit an expensive one).

Finally got hold of Grant, the IH.

Grant says he needs to be out of there asap and has asked when I can get Sandra down there with a box. He says he will bring the chutes for loading and reckons it will take a couple of minutes to load with no stess.

He will then have him at his yard for a week initially to assess him and then I can decide whether I want him as a companion or whether I want to have him trained.

And he has trained several horses with no vision on the O/S :D

I feel like a huge weight has lifted.

Though I was tempted to ask Lesley if she wanted to speak to Alyson to see if she could make sense of what she was saying :blush02:

And how much of it was crap, as said before, I imagine Lesley has had plenty of horses tarnished with other people's labels

:ph34r:

Forgot to say, had a funny moment when I got to the yard - two kids came up to me at the gate and stood before it in a halt who goes there manner.

"Can I help you" one of them asked.

I said "I've come to see my horse"

"Oh, you mean Thomas", he said

"No, I mean Thug" I said

"Well his name is Thomas now"

I think not, love........

I was told their Mum had gone out to get a wingmirror fixed and to call back later. Luckily for me as I left the yard, she was just turning in.

Edited by supafrisk

These are less than pretty pictures of my horse Frant.

9155090fbf2e3d1a949b88a94be434d2.JPG

34ed3a9fef3015f123314bbec6146dd6.JPG

He has moonblindness in his offside eye. It's been developing for years now. He now has no sight in that eye at all.

He is Russian so was (probably) broken at 2, but he wasn't gelded until he came to the UK when he was 6 (cos they don't use anesthetic in Russia :rolleyes: ). I think being blind from birth is probably better than losing their sight as they get older, although they do adapt. I still hack Frant (without any problems). Sarah H has hacked him too and she had no problems either. He is a little spooky but he was always a little spooky :laugh: If you get Thug broken in by someone sympathetic who teaches him it's fun to work with you, you'll have no more difficulties than with any other horse imo.

The people shouldn't be able to have him destroyed without a passport which I presume you have? In theory they can't without your permission either but I would agree with you and get him out urgently. As a priority, I would speak to your vet and tell him what your plans are and that they do not have your permission to make any decisions for him whatsoever.

Good luck - I know it will work out ok. :GroupHug:

Sorry Emma - took me ages to get the pics downloaded - well done you!!

Edited by Katiebob