UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tail Docking

reds

The ban was great but why are we still seeing so many pet puppies with docked tails? :( :( One at club recently was a beautiful long haired rottie, only a few months old. Apparently it wasn't illegal because the breeder *could* say he had an injured tail so it had to be docked. When breaching of the ban is so flagrant what was the point of the ban if not enforced? Obviously for showing it's different but the majority of puppies go to pet homes. Would the only way be to make it illegal be to buy a docked pup, as opposed to the legislation only catching the actual act of doing so? :unsure:

Edited by reds

Tail docking can only be legally be done by a vet. As the rottie is not one of the exempted breeds, the tail would have to be injured for the vet to amputate it. The vet should be able to provide proof of this, so the breeder couldn't just say it was injured.

It would be up to the RSPCA to investigate.

It is illegal to show a dog whose tail was docked after the relevant date at a show in England or Wales that charges for admission. This will include fun shows if an admission fee is charged.

Legally docked dogs can be shown at all shows in Scotland, although all docking is banned in Scotland.

Any dog docked after the relevant date, whether for medical reasons or not - would not be able to be shown at Crufts, so not much point in docking a show dog.

Illegally docked dogs cannot be shown at any KC registered show.

It is still legal to dock in Northern Ireland.

what was the date the ban came in? we still see quite a lot of docked dogs at the kennels i work at and it makes me feel ill every time.is there still an exemption for working dogs?

According to Defra, if I'm reading correctly, it was banned in England and Wales (with exceptions) in April 2007.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/docking.htm

Someone told me recently that it was unusual to see a lab with a full tail as they're usually docked :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

what was the date the ban came in? we still see quite a lot of docked dogs at the kennels i work at and it makes me feel ill every time.is there still an exemption for working dogs?

There are exemptions for working dogs - which is why there are still large numbers of Terriers being docked.

What kind of working dogs can be docked?

In England, Any spaniel, terrier, hunt point retrieve breed or their crosses can be docked (as long as the necessary evidence indicating that they are likely to work is produced).

DEFRA

Tail docking can only be legally be done by a vet. As the rottie is not one of the exempted breeds, the tail would have to be injured for the vet to amputate it. The vet should be able to provide proof of this, so the breeder couldn't just say it was injured.

It would be up to the RSPCA to investigate.

It is illegal to show a dog whose tail was docked after the relevant date at a show in England or Wales that charges for admission. This will include fun shows if an admission fee is charged.

Legally docked dogs can be shown at all shows in Scotland, although all docking is banned in Scotland.

Any dog docked after the relevant date, whether for medical reasons or not - would not be able to be shown at Crufts, so not much point in docking a show dog.

Illegally docked dogs cannot be shown at any KC registered show.

It is still legal to dock in Northern Ireland.

It is illegal yes but that's not making the difference. When the owners buy the pups knowing full well it's illegal, what can you do? They're not likely to give details of the breeder so hence the question about enforcement and making it illegal to own/possess a dog with a docked tail? My feeling is that it's simply not being questioned when pups are seen docked and that it's shrugged off as "oh well". One of those laws that too many people still see as a mere technicality.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, bee in my bonnet about this one. Anyone know about the legislation? In my local paper this weekend is this advert:

ENGLISH SPRINGER Spaniel pups, liver and white, black and white dogs and bitches, 10 weeks old, tails docked, due clawed and wormed. Excellent temperament and working parents

Can you legally dock puppies before they've been homed, i.e. before you have reason to believe they'll be worked?

Anyone understand it?

OK, bee in my bonnet about this one. Anyone know about the legislation? In my local paper this weekend is this advert:

ENGLISH SPRINGER Spaniel pups, liver and white, black and white dogs and bitches, 10 weeks old, tails docked, due clawed and wormed. Excellent temperament and working parents

Can you legally dock puppies before they've been homed, i.e. before you have reason to believe they'll be worked?

Anyone understand it?

I guess if the breeder is going to sell only to working homes, they might be covered?

Anyone understand it?

I've been keeping an eye out for advertised docked puppies, bit easier in Scotland as there was no exemption made for working dogs, I'd bring it to the attention of the RSPCA and let them chase the breeder up. I think the law needs the public to be it's eye's and ears on this one, if we don't report it how is the law gonna' prosecute

I've emailed the ADA thanks for link earlier in thread. Just had a quick look again for the ad and came across this:

PATTERDALE CROSS Jack russell puppies, chipped, legally docked, work/pet, both parents owned, dogs £100, bitches, £125,

Even more bewildering, how can they be legally docked if advertised as "work/pet" ????? :wacko:

Are you going to contact the paper concerned too? If the ads are for dogs docked illegally, the paper shouldn't be carrying them/accepting money for them should they?

Although I contacted the local paper re a litter advertised the week before Christmas as "perfect Christmas present" :rolleyes: and the paper didn't see a problem, but then this ad was just stupid and irresponsible, not doing something illegal.

I've emailed the ADA thanks for link earlier in thread. Just had a quick look again for the ad and came across this:

PATTERDALE CROSS Jack russell puppies, chipped, legally docked, work/pet, both parents owned, dogs £100, bitches, £125,

Even more bewildering, how can they be legally docked if advertised as "work/pet" ????? :wacko:

Report em' too, thats just a load of flannel in the hope it will put people of reporting them......feckers :angry: