UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

X Breeding Bitch Problems

lazydaisy

I have a cav x-breeding bitch. As I expected she did not have a clue about livinging a house. 14 months later and I am still having problems with the toilet training. She has got the idea genereally about going outside to wee and poo. But the big problem is that if I am not with her ie in the same room (and I have not worked since she came here) she wees in my labs basket!

I have done then following things to try and solve the problem - washing the bedding in biological washing powder, washing the dog baskets with the bio washing powder, moving the baskets to a different part of the kitchen to break the association with the area and washing the floor with bio washing powder.

Is there anything else I can try?? I dont want to put her in a crate, I want her to have the same conditions as my lab, ie sleeping in his basket, but the constant washing of quilts, baskets and floor is getting me down :(

weeing on beds can sometimes be a dominance thing, is she trying to be top dog now?, if not there is a spray you can get from the pet shop that eliminates the enzymes that bleach etc doesnt shift, it works quite well and stopped my dog peeing up the walls!

I was told when I had a problem cat years ago about the biological powder bit, however, I was also advised to put down a sheet of tinfoil where the cat peed as they don't like it splashing back at them and the noise is supposed to discourage them.

Could you put a puppy training pad near to your back door in a tray or even a small piece of turf in a litter type tray for a few days to encourage her either to the back door or to use something she'd naturally 'go on' in the garden? :unsure:

Don't know about dogs but cats are supposed to hate citrus peel, eg, orange or lemon peel etc, I was also advised to peel oranges and leave the peel where the cat peed. :flowers:

Edited by supafrisk

I think this is dominance issue too.

If it was me - I would put the cav's blanket or whatever in the labs basket and vice versa, from this you will soon see whether it is dominance or pure ignorance.

We had this problem with Flynn - although not with another dog - it was with my middle son. He would wee on HIS bed. I took Flynn's blanket and put it on sons bed - Flynn stopped weeing straight away - but then I had to slowly move the blanket from sons bed to the floor to the landing etc., until he stopped.

If it turns out that it is igonorance, puppy training again :(

Before you go down the whole dominance route please take into consideration that it could also be due to anxiety, dogs will sometime wee on beds/objects inside to reassure themselves with their smell, whats her nature like in general, is she pretty out going or a bit reserved ? you need to look at the whole picture, not just concentrate on this one problem. Whats the wee wee bed made of ? it could be that the bed itself is still holding the smell, wicker can be a sod to get pee out off and if it's a plastic bed they can get quite scratched up on the bottom and pee can soak in .

I would agree with Fee on this one and say move the basket.

If it is a wicker basket, then it could be harbouring the smell.

Just a thought. I do hope you sort this. :flowers:

Kazz xx

Edited to add posted at same time as Loobie, so my theory is out the window then.

Edited by redditchlady

When you first adopted her, how did you go about toilet training her? Maybe she's just not 100% sure of what is expected of her? :unsure: Sno, although not an ex-breeder, had apparently not lived in a house when we got him and had certainly been in kennels for over a year, so I had to go back to basics with him and toilet trained him as if he were a new pup until I knew his habits/routine and he knew to go outside - and after not too long he was as well toilet trained as the others. Maybe a refresher course for her would be a good idea? I've also taught all of mine a "toilet" command which is useful for getting them to go when/where you want them to :flowers:

Since you feel she's not the most confident wee soul it could be she's just not comfortable peeing outside, whats the garden like, is it secluded or open to the street ? as someone has already suggested, going back to basics might help, giving her gentle praise and treats when she does go outside might boost her confidence enough for her to brave it outside, you could also try growing a patch of long grass for her to go in, quite often nervous dogs prefere long grass to hide their pee and poop in and as has also been mentioned deny her access to the bed, it might be worth giving the bed a good soaking with the bio detergent and then give it a wipe with surgical spirits.

Have you tried speaking to Fionna at Lizzies Barn (where Meg came from)? :unsure:

As you know, it is always stated in all Barn adoption contracts that Fionna is quite happy to answer any queries or try to help with any problems throughout the lifetime of the dog and she has had an awful lot of experience with ex-breeding bitches so may have some further helpful tips for you :)

Didn't have time to reply before now, but a few questions.

How is Meg with the other dogs in the house? I know Loobie has said she's not dominant, but how are they towards her? I know Poppy wasn't happy with puppies after she came to me, so I'm just wondering how Meg gets on with your Chi pup?

Having had two ex-breeding bitches, both of them were very sensitive dogs, Poppy more so than Dolly. Does your girl get stressed in different situation, which then affect her confidence for a few days?

Dolly is more outgoing than Poppy ever was, but she does get unsettled easily and can seem subdued for a while after.

Didn't have time to reply before now, but a few questions.

How is Meg with the other dogs in the house? I know Loobie has said she's not dominant, but how are they towards her? I know Poppy wasn't happy with puppies after she came to me, so I'm just wondering how Meg gets on with your Chi pup?

Having had two ex-breeding bitches, both of them were very sensitive dogs, Poppy more so than Dolly. Does your girl get stressed in different situation, which then affect her confidence for a few days?

Dolly is more outgoing than Poppy ever was, but she does get unsettled easily and can seem subdued for a while after.

Good questions Wendy! The puppy is 1 now and he does hassel Meg. He always wants to sit near her or on her! (I dont let him sit on her). Roly (the chi) hassels Meg and Harri to play at lot. About half of the time Meg does want to play, and the other half I move Roly out of her way or have her to sit on my lap.

Harri is a very "sniffy" and humpy dog! Everytime Meg comes into the house from the back garden he tries to sniff her "bits", so I am on duty to stop him doing it. Also when Meg and Roly are playing Harri gets very excited and tries to hump her. After writing this it looks awful! It sounds as if Meg is getting hasseled all the time, but she is'nt.

I do put Roly in his crate if he is being a pain to Meg and do my best to make sure Harri keeps away from her. She has started to stick up for herself, she will now growl if Roly goes near her food bowl.

How can you tell if a dog is stressed?