UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Do You Cope

taylor

Taylor has dragged a back foot today for the first time ever, dragged it so the top of her foot scraped the ground :mecry: .... so immediately she was bed resting for at least 2 days (she is diagnosed hip and back knee arthritis) the little un still needs walking , which means leaving Taylor alone.

How do you guys deal with differing walk needs without feeling guilty ?

I do three walks a day, one soft ground walk with merly one long road walk, then a short soft ground walk with Foster who has severe HD, they are used to the routine and which ever one is at home, sits in the window waiting for the other to come back.

When Foster is having a "good day" both go together over the fields and Merlin stays on a long line to minimise rough play, its do able :)

Just beginning to face this as Daisy is slowing down a lot :( but Duncan is very energetic.I can't walk them seperately as I work full time and simply don't have time.Luckily Duncan is ball obsessed so I take a chukkit and find somewhere to sit with Daisy while hurtling the ball for Duncan to chase.I think eventually I shall take her out in a buggy as she loves pottering around but the long walks on the Moor we used to do will have to either stop or I'll have to leave her behind and I don't think she'd like that.

I guess it's difficult if they are always used to going out together. With five dogs and a mixture of ages and walking abilities I've always walked mine in shifts so they are pretty much used to it.

Our timetable at the moment is incredibly complicated - old Musky and two of the others for a short walk, then one of them + Musky gets left behind and one gets to come out again for a longer walk with the two who haven't been out, then in the evening whoever only got the short walk in the morning goes out for the short walk + the long walk, and whoever went on both walks in the morning only gets the short walk in the evening. It's a bit :wacko: but it all sort of works :laugh:

What with Malcolm, who is about 12 and can't be let off lead in the park (coz it's like a massive rubbish bin and Mal is a scavenger :wacko:) and Kiera who is a 4 year old collie who needs to run - but can't be left to her own devices or she'll get herself, and me (!), in trouble :rolleyes: - I am faced with the same dilemma. I can't thank the inventor of the chuck-it enough though!! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: Kiera loves running after her ball, and if I can chuck it into the BMX park we're having even more fun :biggrin: Mal meanwhile potters about on his lead and lets me know where he wants to go :laugh:

We've been doing separate walks for just over 1 week since Kyla has been starting walking again after her cruciate op. Lily goes offlead to the beach and Kyla is now on 20 minutes onlead exercise. Benji doesnt get walked anymore.

Whichever one is left behind I give them a hide chew. Going out and training are the only times they get treats as such so not a problem for the weight and it's taken note of in dinner portions. You just have to ignore the complaints from the one going out :laugh:

Sorry Taylor was struggling. Would some vetwrap or a dog boot secured with vetwrap (petwrap to be correct) help?

:GroupHug: For Taylor.

Mine get 2 off lead walks a day but if Cooper has done too much on the morning walk I do try and leave him at home now, but because he has SA if left alone I have to leave one of the others to!! I then worry that if I leave Cromwell he'll not wee in the garden (he doesn't like going in his garden!! :rolleyes: )and therefore he'll no wee for hours!! Or if I leave Tiz she'll have a hyperactive moment when I get back and break something!! (Staffy x Beagle = big chunk of a clumpsy fool!!! :laugh: ). Obviously leaving Sidney isn't an option as he needs masses more exercise than any dog I've ever met before!! :laugh:

SO basically I have to weigh it up at the time and decide who stays and who goes, I then feel completely guilty during the walk , also Sidney goes insane when he comes home and greets the 2 left one's like he's not seen them for years and I feel a right heel for not walking the 2!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The moral of the story is, next time I'm going to try and make sure all my dogs are of the same age at the same time!! :laugh:

I had the same dilemma with Louie my old GSD, I couldn't leave the old boy behind on walks, he would rush to the door and be more eager for a walk than the Staff's :rolleyes: , so Louie and I would potter about, having frequent sit downs, and the two Staffs charged about together, and Chukit's are invaluble, if your looking for boots to stop scuffing I can recommend Active Paws boots, made to measure, tough and don't come off.