UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Clipping

Pendlewitch

Jumble has a permanently enlarged soft palate and if he gets too excited he has breathing problems and will either lie down wherever he is or even pass out. Seeing as Jumble is always in a state of extreme excitement he does fall over quite a lot. I always walk him really early now the weather is so hot as he really struggles with the heat and his breathing, at home I keep the fan on for him.

He's going to the kennels for a comb out as soon as I can get him in and I wondered about having his hair shortened all over to try to help keep him cooler, he does have a medium heavy coat and big fluffy knickers. Does anyone think this would help or have any other ideas to cool him down?

I will probably make lots of BC owners wince now... but we have a few customers who actually get their dogs clipped right down in the summer months and keep them tidy trimmed in the winter. both sets of owners do a lot of walking or running with their collies. ours not to reason why... customer is always right etc. the dogs do seem a lot livlier and happy after their first shearing when the spring comes tho :unsure:

I will probably make lots of BC owners wince now... but we have a few customers who actually get their dogs clipped right down in the summer months and keep them tidy trimmed in the winter. both sets of owners do a lot of walking or running with their collies. ours not to reason why... customer is always right etc. the dogs do seem a lot livlier and happy after their first shearing when the spring comes tho :unsure:

lol... as a BC owner I had to chuckle at this. I used to clip out the BC at the stables I worked at each summer. The first year the owner went mental, but the dog loved it and was much happier.

Abbie has until now had a thinnish coat, however its thick and long this winter. So not sure how she'll moult but I have been thinking of getting my horse clippers out once more so she can have a grade 1!

He's going to the kennels for a comb out as soon as I can get him in and I wondered about having his hair shortened all over to try to help keep him cooler, he does have a medium heavy coat and big fluffy knickers. Does anyone think this would help or have any other ideas to cool him down?

I have a Collie/Sheltie X who gets really hot cos he has a long coat and I am going to have him clipped for the first time this year. He's not going to worry what he looks like and he will be much happier :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

I will probably make lots of BC owners wince now...

Nah! Clip 'em off! I'm a dab hand with the clippers - just ask anyone, apart from the half shaved peke in the lounge who legged it before I could finish. :wacko:

Give me a short coated collie anyday - whether as nature intended.... or by human hand! :biggrin:

It won't hurt. I'm just revving up to give big fat Stanley his spring summer clip off.

Nah! Clip 'em off! I'm a dab hand with the clippers - just ask anyone.

Um yes, if you want a No1 cut all over with random clumps as an added extra then Sarah's your woman :rolleyes:

Every cut guaranteed as a unique style - very leading edge!!!!

Edited by Whizzie

I keep my Beardies quite short now when its very hot or rake all of the thickness out(coat not head, sadly) When I was at college, we used to clip Collies out on a regular basis they seemed much happier! Go for it.

Um yes, if you want a No1 cut all over with random clumps as an added extra then Sarah's your woman :rolleyes:

Every cut guaranteed as a unique style - very leading edge!!!!

Ha Ha, like that idea! :laugh:

Thanks for replies all :flowers: It's made my mind up for me, Jumby is booked in for the 27th, maybe not a No1 but near enough! I'll post a before and after picture!

I clip some of my dogs out every year, as there coat is so thick

in the hot weather it gets them down, i also find it easer to maintain there coat

if its clipped out, when i get the clippers out now the dogs line up to be clipped

as they love the attention.

Whilst it might seem logical that a shorter coat will keep a dog cooler, it isn't actually the case.

A short coat transmits heat quicker to the skin.

Longer hair (if kepts relatively free of dead stuff) allows air to circulate more easily and cools the skin.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...22234717AAnC0zb

Border collies usually have double coats too so should ideally be left alone.

Just going from our own 3 ginger dogs - 2 shortish coated and I long and hairy with a collie double coat. The shorter coated ones suffer far more from the heat than the one with a long coat.

Pam

Loki went into the groomers a few weeks ago to get his coat trimmed for the summer but there was a problem apparently when the groomer started to trim him and he ended up shaved. I hadn't wanted him shaved this year but I had to laugh when I collected him.

He went in looking like this:

2296332355_3ed6a8097b.jpg

And came out looking like this:

2390523948_ff593b038e.jpg

Loki :ohmy:

I have never felt the need to have Sno clipped, but he's got a mostly white coat which must help a lot in the heat and although he has lots of hair, I'm not sure it's the thickest of coats. Plus he's rather couch potato like for a collie, bless him :wub: