UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Staffie Question

purple_mog

So this afternoon I had the joy of meeting Otto, an RDR staffie, and taking him on to kennels in York. He was huge! Gorgeous big chunky head and neck and ube-solid. But most of the staffs I've met before have been really very compact - are there different strains of staffy???

Sorry if its a daft question, but I'm usually more of a collie-mafia girl :)

Otto is a Staffie crossed with an American Bulldog :wink:

Thank you for doing the run today, please feel free to leave feedback on the RDR forum, we would love to hear how things went :flowers:

Edited to say that I hope Otto has made you fall in love with the Bull Breed just a little :wub:

Edited by Brunzara

There are quite a few "types" of Staffie from what I've seen - Roxy is more of the dinky Staffie with short legs, I think they're more of a KC Staff. Then there's the longer legged ones with the massive heads that I think you see more as pets, and working in rescue you see countless different shapes in between! Also I think a lot of Staff crosses end up looking more like slightly different looking Staffs, if you get me... the Staffie look seems to be more dominant in Staff crosses.

good question and not daft at all, Staffies do come in very varied sizes, my Spud is a big muckle bruiser, his mum was your average compact size and his dad, who was a show champ, was a great big chunkster, Spuds brothers are all slightly smaller than him and the girls are smaller still, so boys are in general quite a bit bigger than the ladies, I think possibly that because they are such a popular breed with so many dogs being bred there are bound to be big diffrences in size, and a lot of people breed them randomly with no thought to how they will match the breed standard, so in short the answer is no, there aren't diffrent types of SBT, just a lot of variation. But saying that there is the so called Irish Stafford, but thats a whole diffrent thread :wacko: , so I'm just sticking with the British SBT.

Edited by celeste

Otto is a Staffie crossed with an American Bulldog :wink:

Thank you for doing the run today, please feel free to leave feedback on the RDR forum, we would love to hear how things went :flowers:

Edited to say that I hope Otto has made you fall in love with the Bull Breed just a little :wub:

Aha! now that makes a little more sense - and he absolutely did have in :wub: I'll potter over to your forum (not sure I've been on it before) and will leave feedback :)

Very happy to help again if I can :)

our friend Strauss is TINY - about the same size as Toastie boy, but he is about 3 or 4 years old now...... he would make Snatch and Ruby look massive. Alfie is bigger than Strauss, and he is only about 9 months old, but I think he will be another "compact" staffie

Different people have different preferences too.

I prefer the chunky ones while Trev likes the more leggy types [irish] given that Irish are often seized as being type I don't think it'd be a good idea for us to have one given my job :rolleyes:

One of my fave types of staffy belongs to a lady on here, Lisa. Her dog is a an absloute stunner and just the shape I like

Picture1.jpg

What a magnificent staffie above!

We get all sorts of questions with tekno ranging from "has he got any staffie in him" to people guessing if he is pure or if he is crossed with something. The vets have him down as a pure staff but his head isn't so chunky and solid (er well its not very solid at all at the moment poor boy) and is very lanky. His head is more like a female staffies I think. Or as the vet calls him "a rangy staffie".

His personality is all staffie and when he is hot and panting he has a huge staffie smile.

We get alot of people asking round our way if he is a long legged staffie (I think as in a type of variant of staffie rather than the obvious - yes he is a staffie with long legs).

Old fashioned staffies used to be big and chunky, I remember several coming through my rescue years ago that were reall "bully" looking, but they seem to be being bred smaller and smaller these days. I think as old type houses are being replaced by smaller houses and flats most breeds are losing height to fit in with the smaller homes. Not show dogs perhaps but ordinary pet dogs. x