UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Childhood Games

We were talking today about how you never see kid's playing 'Proper' in the street anymore like we used to ! I remember it being more fun then don't you ?

So what games do you remember ?

We remember ..

Hopscotch

Jumping Jacks

Pick up Sticks

Handstands against the wall ... they were fab lol

Crab walking

And my friend says ' Tin can whip' ..........But I think I must be too young for that one :D

Edited by NR Boxer Rescue

I remember all of the above and its sad not to see it so much nowadays :(

The good old "kiss and chase" or "Tag". Or the many clapping games i used to play but cant for the life of me remember the words now....

Kurbie!-where you had to bounce the ball off the opposite pavement to gain a point...

Ahhh childhood games.........*wonders wistfully*

We used to play 'ticky off ground' and 'British Bulldog' There were loads of us in our street who were all the same age

I was just going to say British Bull dogs - you needed to be `ard for that game ! You'd have the Health & Safety on you these days :rolleyes: And we called it `kit off ground` - that was good fun.

The handstands against the wall - do you remember the 1st one had to go really close to the wall, then one would handstand against the 1st one, then another and then another until all the handstanders fell down. It's a wonder we made it into adulthood eh ? :laugh:

Do you remember being arm around shoulders with all your mates, walking round the school playground siging

" anyone wanna play kiss chase " / " anyone wanna play coppers and robbers " etc etc

Those pieces of paper that you moved about between your hands like a mouthy thing (I cant explain it!) but it would have numbers, or colours and then when you opened it up there would be a message inside or a forfeit. Oh `eck I've not explained that very well at all really :wacko:

Good times, good times :wink:

Edited by Ruby1Nic

In school the other mornng we were only talking about the games we used to play as children

2 balls.

a ball in the leg of an old pair of tights.

kick the can

what's the time mr wolf.

ring of roses.

oranges and lemons

I dont know what the games is actually called but you stand faceing your partner and you clap hands and sing rhymes at the same time.

rounders.

off ground tick

I remember my friend and I had bikes mine was a striker a smaller version of the grifter and we used to ride everywhere pretending we where CHIPS ( the tv series) I was ponch :rolleyes:

Sadly my children dont have the freedom we had when we were little. :(

also anyone remember playing boy/girl and oxo and hangman aahhhh memories

Edited by domino's mum

We used to play *elastic*

Ooh we used to play that to. I think I may still have the elastic in a draw lol.

We used to play 'mob'. Not sure where the name came from it was sort of like hide and seek meets tag. The person to win would be the one who could tag the mobbing post without the mobber catching them first.

Stick in the mud was a good game too :)

Ooooo I remember ALL of the above and also hopscotch and playing for hours with dolls and prams and dolls houses and cutting up catalogues with a mum, dad, girl and boy and then cutting out all the furniture and household bits that they would need (and then taking a sneaky look at the bra and men's pants section.) I was very envious of the girls that could wrap one leg around a bar, wrap both arms around their leg and then spin over and over.

My sister used to be a playground helper a few years back and her job was to teach the kids all the games from yesteryear.

I remember most of these :biggrin: Does that make me old :(

Those pieces of paper that you moved about between your hands like a mouthy thing (I cant explain it!) but it would have numbers, or colours and then when you opened it up there would be a message inside or a forfeit. Oh `eck I've not explained that very well at all really :wacko:

I know exactly what you mean, I used to love them!

I remember playing "there's a hole in your back" rather a lot - if I remember correctly you stood behind the person and used your finger to draw a circle on their back all the time chanting "there's a hole in your back and its getting bigger and bigger and bigger" making the circle spiral larger as you chanted you kept it going for a while until the person started to sway on their feet and then you said "I can see a string and I'm going to pull it" and you poked them in the middle of the circle and stepped back - almost invariably they then fell over :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah I remember those. And used to make loads, but wouldn't have a clue now.

Can't remember what they were called though.

I used to do hopscotch and french skipping (which I think is the same as elastic)

Kiss chase (prob my fav activity :) )

Knocking Dollies Outta Bed (also known as Knock Down Ginger) :rolleyes:

'When I went into Woolworths'

one person would be on one side of the street with their back to the rest. Everyone else would decide on a product and whilst skipping across towards the first person, would chant "When I went into Woolworths I went to buy a ......." giving the first letter only. The person on it, would have to guess what the product was and when they guessed right, all the others would run back to the other side of the street with the first person in hot pursuit. Who ever got caught before reaching 'home' would then be on it. :)

We played British Bulldog too :biggrin: I was lucky in that my house was on the edge of a green and we'd play there all day and at the park behind my house. Cats Cradle with bits of wool wrapped around your fingers. I couldn't get to grips with that at all :wacko: Picksy Dropsy with a stick while laying down on our bellies on the roundabout :laugh:

I was just going to say British Bull dogs - you needed to be `ard for that game ! You'd have the Health & Safety on you these days :rolleyes:

Yep, we used to do those ...and they're still doing the rounds now..my son has them.

British Bulldog..... :rolleyes: Rugby without the odd shaped balls and no rules!

Run -outs, 40 /40, and leap frog....... and grass fights! (when the council used to come and cut the grass - about this time of year), and you'd end up with it stuffed down your back, your knickers, and just about every visible orifice :rolleyes: