UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Does Anyone Know

Wendbert

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno about the slugs but if someone stuck my ass in a catapult and fired me half way across a few gardens id be bloody reluctant to come back :laugh:

Well, thats what I was hoping :biggrin:

Dee, you're worrying me now with the level of research you are carrying out on my behalf :unsure:

Thanks Richard. And I suppose to add to the comedy value, I should get someone to video me in my ninja get up while I herd up the snails and rehome them :laugh:

Isn't there anyone about with a garden that is more appealing for slugs than you?

THen gather them into a previously mentioned plastic tub, put on your best ninja outfit, and rehome the slugs to more appealing terrain...

Just a thought. More for comedy value of ninja slug rehoming.

I'd be really shocked if someone did that :ninja: :blush02:

Marion

Do they snore?

No, thank goodness, as there are 52 giant African land snails living in my bedroom. Some are still small, but the biggest snail has a shell the size of a small coconut. You can hear it eating lettuce. If that lot snored no one else here would sleep.

Seriously, they breathe through a breathing hole where the body joins the shell, so they don't have sinuses or a nose. Some species can use the breathing hole to whistle and sing.

You should know better than to ask daft questions when I am around. You will always get a literal and nerdy answer :D

Edited by owl

Dee, you're worrying me now with the level of research you are carrying out on my behalf :unsure:

:flowers: what are friends for?

I have actually read the scientific paper on spontaneous slug turning (i have!!). I'm struggling with his definition of spontaneous. Surely spontaneous means fly forward, stop suddenly and turn on the stop, very quickly, before moving off quickly in another direction, surely?

Now then. Slug. Spontaneous. It just doesn't sit comfortably, does it? If it did, wouldn't they spontaneously be able to stop drowning in beer? Or perhaps they spontaneously turn towards the beer from the comfort of a pansy?

Owl, you are a gem. (and a bit nuts, too :flowers:)

If you put salt on a slug then it fizzes and dies. Cruel but effective. You can wash the salt away by watering the garden :biggrin:

But it's so mean :( I can never do it and I have slugs in my house :( They come up, I think, through the floor boards or something and have a wild time during the night - I think the slug/slow thing is just for our benefit when we're watching. In reality I think they are very fast - they are capable of traversing my walls nearly up to the ceiling, making squirly circles and then getting back undercover by morning :glare:

It has, on a few occasions, been rather unpleasant coming down for a drink in the middle of the night in bare feet.... :sick01: :sick01:

But it's so mean :( I can never do it and I have slugs in my house :( They come up, I think, through the floor boards or something and have a wild time during the night - I think the slug/slow thing is just for our benefit when we're watching. In reality I think they are very fast - they are capable of traversing my walls nearly up to the ceiling, making squirly circles and then getting back undercover by morning :glare:

It has, on a few occasions, been rather unpleasant coming down for a drink in the middle of the night in bare feet.... :sick01: :sick01:

I am usually a very peaceful person, but its something about slugs :wacko: It switches off my sympathy button :rolleyes:

I got some excellent slug & snail stuff from Sainsburys last year. Pet safe too. Just squirt this gel type stuff around the sluggy no-go areas so it forms a barrier and the little swines get nowhere near your yummy plants. Will find it tomorrow and post the name of it.

I need to find it to use it again as there are approximately 389 billion snails in my back garden :rolleyes:

We had slugs coming in and holding a party at night before we knocked our old extension down and re-built it. As of yet they haven't come back. Touch wood. Anyway I found leaving the light on in the kitchen (energy saving bulb!) stopped the little blighters coming in.

Marion

Slug Poem I

The slugs think that they are

being intellectual

They would like to wear glasses but

they don't have ears

They are holding a convention downstairs

on my carpet

They tell me that the 'mark of a genius

is a silver trail'

The slugs think that it is likely

that I'll salt them

I don't think I will -

not just yet

nicola c grant

originally published in 'The New Writer' Sept/Oct '04

gosh even slugs get poems written about them

In answer to the original question - I haven't a clue.

Hmmm, I'm not at all sure I should mention this here but when I was a child I was a slug murderer - in fact a mass slug murderer :unsure:

The slugs used to climb into my rabbit hutch and eat all her food - and I really couldn't cope with slugs at all.

I used to have 'mass cullings'. I used to chuck them on the garden and then disembowel them by chopping them in half with a garden spade :ohmy: :ohmy: I still have visions ............... :sick02:

I'm not quite as mean these days but we don't see many slugs here :biggrin: Maybe they can sense I'm not a friend?

Snails have a homing instinct, so there is not a lot of point relocating them locally. You would need to move them right out of the local area.

I use beer traps and nematode treatment, and have also been known to chop slugs with secateurs. I don't find it hard to dispose of dead slugs, you can let the birds do that if the bodies are simply chopped rather than poisoned.