UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

So Pleased With Dylan! Went Offlead With Another Dog This Morning..

suzeanna

We've had our rescue lurcher Dylan for just over three years now (thanks, Theresa!) and although we let him off lead in fields where we can see there are no other dogs, we've never let him off with another because of his fear aggression to them. This morning we were just approaching his favourite field when another lady beat us to it, with her lovely flattie Meg. Dylan and Meg have met several times...so I told my OH to risk it..and let him off. I was sure he wouldn't bite Meg as no matter who has bitten him he hasn't retaliated, and they were fine! said hello, then rushed around the field together. Next moment a little white jrt came round into the field from the other end...OH thought omg...but Dyl just ran up, leaped all around the poor little beast and said hello. OH called him, and he turned and ran straight back, we're so pleased and proud of him. It might seem slow progress :laugh: over three years, but it's worth it to see him happy and playing. Now I've just got to teach our cav some recall. I have a feeling thats going to take an awful lot longer!

It is a wonderful moment when you see them running free, behaving like a 'normal' dog. It makes all the hard work and heartache worth while and brings a lump to the throat.

Well done for you (and OH) for having the courage to 'risk it'. :flowers: That must have taken a lot of guts.

I bet he will relive the fun he has this morning in his dreams this evening.

Oh well done all of you :GroupHug: i know exactly how you feel , i have only ever let Storm off once to play with another dog we have never had the chance again so i can imagine how proud you must be , and i can also imagine the heart stopping moment when you saw the other wee dog appear , it is so nice to see them playing and behaving how dogs should behave , it makes all the hard work so worth it :)

Fiona xx