UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bringing A Dog Over From Vietnam

sproggie14

its a tough call and one I faced in 2006

I had 3 puppys and a adult dog at the temple all needing help , costs for the dog to fly back was over 2000 pounds plus 6 month in Q Kennels

Then how did I decide which dog to adopt ( as I could not afford all 4 )

in short I could not choose and very quickly decided it was not the right course of action for me personally and used my money to help them in situ and set up Dogstar instead

I think its a very personal choice and one that a person has to make for themselves as there are always pros and cons

There are lots of companies that do help with relocation and they would be able to give advice on airlines and crates etc and a few fugees have brought dogs over that required time in Q kennels and they would be able give advice on that aspect

I have read about many people who have brought back dogs after holidays or volunteering and the dogs do seem to adapt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a no brainer for me, my heart would definitely rule my head and I would bring him home and deal with everything else afterwards. If she does some fundraising let me know because I would happily donate :wub: I couldn't read all of the story because it was too upsetting but I read bits and then I looked at the picture :mecry: :wub:

No brainer here too

Setting up a website to raise awareness/donations is a good idea too

I would do it. We brought 3 dogs over from Cyprus in 1995 and one from Bosnia in 1996. Jack (from Cyprus) is now 16 years old and lives with a family that we know. Paddy (from Bosnia) is 12 years old and again he was rehomed once out of kennels. He came over at just 8 weeks old and did 6 months in quarantine and came out fine and very happy boy.

The two others, coco and guiness, lived with us until they both died aged 12 years old. We picked Guiness up at just 3 weeks old and Coco when she was a year old. We could never have left them behind.

Hi everyone,

I'm Amanda, soon to be Mun's new mum :) I just wanted to seek out this forum, firstly to thank you for taking an interest in Mun's situation and offering support and advice. I'd also like to thank merledogs for your kind donation (are you Alex? :) ). We've had a good response in the first 24 hours alone and we're hopeful that it will continue.

We now face the complex task of organising a flight for him, I'm not honestly sure where to start! Most pet relocators seem to deal with flights from the UK or US and not to. But I'm sure we'll find something soon. If anyone can recommend an airline then we'd be very interested.

We're really looking forward to giving Mun his new life asap :)

Thanks again

Amanda

Glad to see you're a fancy ratter as well as a dog lover greytgirl :)

Hey Nettie, yes we looked into cani excel quiet a lot. Initially we had decided to send him there, it looks like a beautiful place and is definately a better option for most people's pet dogs compared to quarantine. But on reflection we feel it may not be right for Mun. He is funny about changes, he seems to accept new people etc a lot better if either Adam or myself are there. it sort of like "oh well if they say it's ok, then it must be" from Mun, I guess he trusts us. We had a choice to make, either 1) send him to France here he would get lots of space to run but not see us or 2) send him to a quarantine kennels close to us but see him all the time.

We have decided that we think that currently he will cope better with all the changes by getting regular visits from familiar faces. The kennels is very close to us so he can be visited a lot. He is chained up an awful lot and isn't used to exercise at all so, I know it sounds bad, but he can't miss what he doesn't know. I just mean that a normal pet dog who is walked twice a day would notice the difference far more than Mun. Also, he will be a London dog (at least at first), I feel like giving him acres of France to run around in then moving him to London would be another huge lifestyle change for him too (although of course there are some nice parks here to walk him in too). I actually feel he might be comforted by stable surroundings of his own quarantine kennel. Plus well run him ragged with his tug toy he loves so he gets lots of exercise. Their outside pens are 20m x 4m so not too small.

I think that France is a great option for a normal pet dog, but Mun is a bit of a special case and it's been hard to choose which would benefit him more. Hopefully we have made the right choice for him. My mum is going to check out the kennels and nothing is booked so, we'll see.

I see you live in SW London too Nettie, you will have to come and meet Mun one day :)

Hi everyone,

I'm Amanda, soon to be Mun's new mum :) I just wanted to seek out this forum, firstly to thank you for taking an interest in Mun's situation and offering support and advice. I'd also like to thank merledogs for your kind donation (are you Alex? :) ). We've had a good response in the first 24 hours alone and we're hopeful that it will continue.

We now face the complex task of organising a flight for him, I'm not honestly sure where to start! Most pet relocators seem to deal with flights from the UK or US and not to. But I'm sure we'll find something soon. If anyone can recommend an airline then we'd be very interested.

We're really looking forward to giving Mun his new life asap :)

Thanks again

Amanda

Information on the DEFRA site

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine...ures/qprocs.htm

Aww, thats brilliant that you've decided to go ahead :)

I agree with you that seeing familiar faces often will be far better for him than the France option, and as you say, he won't miss what he's never had.

When my friend was collecting funds to bring her dog over she got about a grand from just doing car boot sales, she went to the local paper and got them to do a piece on her, appealing for donations of stuff to sell, I helped her collect a lot of stuff and we did get lumbered with a load of old tat that had to be dumped, but the boot sale it's self was great fun.

Aww, thats brilliant that you've decided to go ahead :)

I agree with you that seeing familiar faces often will be far better for him than the France option, and as you say, he won't miss what he's never had.

When my friend was collecting funds to bring her dog over she got about a grand from just doing car boot sales, she went to the local paper and got them to do a piece on her, appealing for donations of stuff to sell, I helped her collect a lot of stuff and we did get lumbered with a load of old tat that had to be dumped, but the boot sale it's self was great fun.

Thaks celeste. Yes, I wish I was back in the UK, I would be able to raise fund a lot easier. There's not really anyone here in Vietnam who I can expect to donate. A car boot sale wold have been a great idea