UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Camping

Wendbert

Camping is fun,we do it all the time.Add a first aid kit to the list for both humans and dogs and once you know where you are going to be staying find out the local vets in the area before you go just in case.

Trace,Jess and Lester.

Edited by leicslass

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could trade our tent in for one with a built in ground sheet I would.

Basically your ground sheet is part of the entire inner of the tent.

Currently mine has seperate rooms thats go up inside, and then you lay a ground sheet down in the middle, but the middle is wasted space and the bedrooms are small if you want more than one campbed in them. A built in ground sheet means you can put your bed up anywhere in the tent and the dogs can lie in beside you etc, just something to consider when you are looking

I am rather glad that you are coming along :biggrin: :biggrin: Was it the promiss of cocktails in the sun? :D

Anyway, for the camping trip I can lend you:

1 camping bed (with feets)

1 Sleeping Bag

I would however suggest you take loads of bedding for the duo as if they are anything like my two, you will need one snugg bed for them so you can have your own.

You would need a torch or tent light

We have gascookers and portable cookers so the coffee/tea in the morning can be made by us for you :)

I normally take a couple of cooler bags for the essentials like butter, milk, sandwich stuff, BBQ food etc, however I am tempted to buy a boot cooler as I have the plug for it in the MPV.

We can also lend you a camping chair with bottle holder for the camping trip.

So really you won't need loads for your first trip and then if you don't like it, you haven't spend a lot of money.

Cindy :biggrin:

If I could trade our tent in for one with a built in ground sheet I would.

Basically your ground sheet is part of the entire inner of the tent.

Currently mine has seperate rooms thats go up inside, and then you lay a ground sheet down in the middle, but the middle is wasted space and the bedrooms are small if you want more than one campbed in them. A built in ground sheet means you can put your bed up anywhere in the tent and the dogs can lie in beside you etc, just something to consider when you are looking

Thanks for that. I know absolutely nothing about camping, so all advice is very welcome :flowers:

I've been looking at tents that are easy to put up and all in one with the groundsheet. What Bumpy will make of being in a tent, I have no idea, but I'm sure it will be entertaining:laugh:

Cindy, thank you :flowers: I've got a large coolbox and a folding chair with the beer holder thing on the arm :wink: I'm so glad you can provide coffee - I would have serious reservations without my morning caffeine fix :laugh:

Ruby and I used to be big campers Wendy and were off with the tent at every opportunity. Sadly my kerknackered shoulder put a stop to it all.

Anyway a small tent maybe fine to start you off but it's a bugger trying to get dressed when you can't stand up. We always went for a 6 person tent altho it twas only the 2 of us and made sure that some part of the tent was high enough to stand up in. A front porch is an asset as you can sit in there if the weather is lousy and also it allows you somewhere to strip off mucky footwear and wet gear before getting into your snug inner tent.

Depending on the type of dog beds you are taking you might want to consider getting a couple of insulated sleeping mats to slip underneath. The ground can be very cold, even in summer.

A good sleeping bag is a must! We had the mummy shaped sort with hoods that were good to minus 20 degrees. They didn't cost a fortune either and tucked up really small into bags for travelling and storage. If you spend a cold night shivering in your tent when you first go then it can seriously put you off going again. This happened to me in as a teenager and it was a few years before I tried again, this time with the right gear, and I loved it.

Marion

My experience of camping had been on school trips, over almost 30 years ago!!

Then for some reason last year I decided I wanted to go camping for the weekend with Dream.

I bought up most of Millets.

What I found was - built in ground sheets mean the dogs cannot escape underneath.

Secondly, I bought an double inflatable mattress, which was brilliant, and Dream loved it too.(make sure its fully inflated, or else its a bit bouncy, and getting on and off it made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself!) But I had a good nights sleep.

Being a greyhound, and elderly, I did worry about being too hot/cold or being uncomfortable lying on the ground, so I took fleeces and picnic blankets with waterproof backing, (i think they were about £2.00 from pound shops.).

The screw in thingy for dog leads was great too.

Oh, and torches and batteries.

Its much easier and comfier than camping when I was younger. If you get serious its possible to have electricity going into the tent!

I hope to go camping a few times this year.

Oooh, thank you Dolly :flowers:

I googled tents and there are soooo many :wacko: I think I shall have to go to a tent shop and get an idea of size and take it from there.

Sounds like apart from the tent, I just need sleeping stuff, a torch (although Dolly has a pup-light so she can provide the lighting :laugh: ), bedding for dogs etc. I have a ground spike for the dogs already, so thats something else off the list :wink:

another good tip is to have an overnight camp in your own garden. That is the easiest way to find out what you will and will not need.That way if you have overlooked anything you can just nip in and get it, the dogs have a practice run and you can put your mind at rest. The other camping get togethers have been good fun but when the weather changed it got very cold and one lady (Jo) was in trouble when the zip on her tent burst and one other got flooded out.So spare warm clothes are essential.x

This is my tent, which I use all summer for agility shows. Lots of places sell it, and Khyam do other ranges as well.

Khyam freelander

I chose it as it has a 'living room' which can be stood up in/sat in in a chair, which is essential for rainy weekends! It's also a 'quick erect' system :biggrin: which means it is easy to put up.

Look what I found, you could have all the OC campers in the same tent! :laugh:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...11166.Tents.htm

Seriously, Argos have some good tents, we got ours from there although I'm sorry to admit its never been used because the OH refuses to go camping. The one time he agreed we had the car all packed up, dogs in the car and its wouldn't start, needed a new battery so that was the weekend finished. I'm sure he sabotaged the car! :laugh:

This looks good Wendy:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...11166.Tents.htm

Beware tents that say they have built-in ground sheets. I brought one specifically so that I didn't have dogs escaping (Amber used to consider that most things in life were to be got round, under or through :laughingsmiley: Anyway, the tent I've got has got a built-in ground sheet on three sides but at the front it's not attached so there's a gap (and a draught!). It's not a big gap and tent pegs hold it down mostly, but it's big enough for me to wake in the early hours and discover my dogs racing around the camping field looking for rabbits :wacko: They then slept zipped in the bed compartment ;)